My resignation as FIDE Rep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to give a short summary of my encounters with Hal, over 3+ decades, in the many different scenarios which have unfolded.
    1) 1989: Fellow-competitor: I met Hal for the first time in Ottawa at an Eastern Ontario Chess Association Grand Prix event in 1989. Our last round game would decide the U2000 section. In a spirited battle, Hal held the draw, which, with his half-point lead, secured first prize; I tied for second. We became friends during the analysis afterwards, heartened by a beer in the RA restaurant, and we have stayed friends for 32 years.
    2) 1992: CFC Executive Director: When I was Head Organizer and Deputy Arbiter for the 1992 Zonal in Kingston, I worked closely with Hal, CFC Executive Director and magazine editor, throughout that Championship. He was commuting back and forth from Ottawa, balancing his duties running the national organization. I made sure to get the game bulletins done as soon as possible; these went to the players, organizers and spectators; Hal got the news out to the country, and then promptly into the magazine with the tournament report and article. IA Alex Knox of Toronto served as Head Arbiter and did an absolutely super job, for an event which was, overall, a success. Hal was helpful in a dozen different ways. He quickly and professionally solved a significant problem at the end of the event that was out of the control of the organizers.
    3) 2004: Canadian Open bidder: As a CFC Governor, I was present at the 2004 CFC Annual General Meeting in Kapuskasing, where I also served as Deputy Arbiter for the Canadian Open. Hal presented a bid for the 2006 Canadian Open to the meeting. It was to take place in Kitchener, with himself as lead organizer. Two years in advance, the bid was well organized and planned, filled with important information on all aspects, and was well received. No decision was made at that time; that took place a few months later, with strong approval.
    4) 2006: Canadian Open organizer and arbiter: I served as a Deputy Arbiter for Hal's very successful Open in Kitchener.
    5) 2007: As an event Arbiter, I was at the 2007 Canadian Open in Ottawa. Bill Doubleday and I had submitted the original bid. Hal had to explain to the AGM about certain problems from the 2006 CYCC in Kitchener, which he had largely NOT been responsible for. He did so very well, and the matter was sorted out.
    6) 2009: Problem-solver as Arbiter: I was helping to organize the 2009 University Teams event in Kingston, with Alex Lambruschini in the lead role. Unfortunately, only a few weeks before the event, Alex's professional schedule was changed, making him unavailable for the Championship. Being realistic, I felt that my problematic health situation would not allow me to take over his duties and make the event the success it deserved to be. I thought of Hal: I contacted him, learned he was available and interested, but of course as a professional arbiter, he would require a salary and conditions, far more than Alex was budgeted for. Due to the exceptional kindness of the Queen's University student governments, sufficient last-minute funding for this was arranged. Hal arrived, was briefed and up to speed; he took charge, and the event was a complete success, with me assisting him.
    7) 2010: FIDE Arbiter Course Instructor: In conjunction with the 2010 Canadian Open in Toronto, Hal partnered with IA Stephen Boyd to present the first FIDE Arbiter Course ever offered in Canada. I registered as a student. Their efforts compared favourably with any similar event I have ever been involved with, across non-chess topics as well. I learned an enormous amount in the course, passed the exam, and received a FIDE certificate.
    8) 2019: Appeals Committee Chair: At the 2019 Zonal in Kingston, Hal was a competitor in a lower section; I was on tournament staff as Fair Play Officer. Hal served as Chair of the Appeals Committee, while I was a member. IA / IO Aris Marghetis and his team put on a wonderful event. No appeals resulted across nine rounds with about 100 players, so no Committee meetings!!

Hal and I have also enjoyed many friendly casual conversations over those years; I have always emerged from those better informed and happier, since Hal is such an upbeat person!! In every scenario when I was around Hal, as described above, I always saw from him highly professional knowledge and effort, utmost consideration for multiple points of view, friendly people skills, and a forward-looking outlook on what would be best for Canadian chess. While I never contemplated chess involvement for myself at anywhere near Hal's level, he has inspired me to become more involved in Canadian chess, and I believe I have made, and am making, a positive contribution as a result. I know for a fact that Hal has inspired and mentored several other important organizers in Canadian chess. Hal is one of my favourite people in Canadian chess!

Hal has also served as an Arbiter at higher levels in important events with FIDE than any other Canadian has done. He has run a successful series of International Tournaments at Guelph for many years. Hal is well respected as a teacher and proponent of youth players.

I believe that CFC President Vlad Drkulec, in some of his postings on this board covering this important topic, has been somewhat disrespectful of Hal's efforts, skills, qualifications, and contributions. These actions by Vlad have been both unfortunate and disappointing; they have not contributed to a solution, while making what was already a bad situation even worse. Hal has been an organizer in Canadian chess for 30+ years, at the national and international levels, while Vlad is at about a decade of involvement at that level, with nowhere near the breadth and depth of contributions that Hal has attained. Hal is well known and highly respected around the world in chess. Hal could attend any important chess event in the world, and find friends!

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      I see Frank has tagged 1989 in his post, it's at least 3 decades and perhaps more? That precedes our tournament database! Just ponder that a moment. As long as I can remember, I could always count on a Guelph chess tournament for my regular fix. I would be interested if anyone knows when Hal ran his first chess tournament.
      Bob, that will narrow years of interest.

Chess Canada Bulletin #58 (1983 1-2) 11830 Bond, Hal Gu 1462/13 (yyyy/xx usually meant a provisional rating and a number of games)

En Passant #62 (1983 9-10) page 3: the ad of Guelph Royal City Open, Nov 18-20, at Guelph University. TD Ron Holmes, though ENT (where to mail entries) - Hal Bond

En Passant #64 (1984 February) - page 61 - the crosstable of the tournament. TD R.Holmes, Org, Rep: H.Bond. The tournament top 4: Raymond Stone and Deen Hergott (4 points); Brian Hartman and Hans Jung (3.5 points).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Henry, your post got me to thinking: You are just a young fella, as such you likely have no idea how long Hal has been a pillar of Canadian chess. I see Frank has tagged 1989 in his post, it's at least 3 decades and perhaps more? That precedes our tournament database! Just ponder that a moment. As long as I can remember, I could always count on a Guelph chess tournament for my regular fix. I would be interested if anyone knows when Hal ran his first chess tournament.

BTW Henry, you should login to your CFC Go membership account and update your date of birth. I am sure 2099 is not correct!

I was reading recently that middle age now starts at age 65. So I hope Hal is not considering retirement any time soon. I look forward to the next Guelph ProAm this fall. Hal, just add my name to the pre-registered list.
        I hear ya Bob! I've only played Guelph a few times (I haven't played that many tournaments in general since becoming an Arbiter), and they've been just so wonderfully mental-health rejuvenating!

As I write this, the only trophy I have on my desk is from the 2019 Guelph Spring Pro-Am U2000 section. From the moment Hal presented it to me, he points out that in the literally decades of running his events, that I have the distinction of the lowest score winning such a trophy LOL - I hope that you and I will get paired at the first Guelph after this seemingly endless pandemic.
        Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Thursday, 11th March, 2021, 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Bob, that will narrow years of interest.

Chess Canada Bulletin #58 (1983 1-2) 11830 Bond, Hal Gu 1462/13 (yyyy/xx usually meant a provisional rating and a number of games)

En Passant #62 (1983 9-10) page 3: the ad of Guelph Royal City Open, Nov 18-20, at Guelph University. TD Ron Holmes, though ENT (where to mail entries) - Hal Bond

En Passant #64 (1984 February) - page 61 - the crosstable of the tournament. TD R.Holmes, Org, Rep: H.Bond. The tournament top 4: Raymond Stone and Deen Hergott (4 points); Brian Hartman and Hans Jung (3.5 points).
          Wow almost 38 years ago! I dont remember anything of that event except Hal's chess set. I had one for years and I still have individual pieces mixed in with my outdoor sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

.... I dont remember anything of that event except Hal's chess set. ....
            Opening up Chesstalk and being reminded that you finished in the thick of it with the then-cream of Canadian chess - that's got to be a nice surprise!!! That it happened nearly 40 years ago is a sobering thought. Hope you haven't started saying "today, tomorrow, or next Tuesday" to your opponents. :)

Hans - Hal's chess set - are you referring to the 'chess tube'?
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Yes the chess tube. What was the name of it? My memory for all sorts of things is gone - Covid and its effect has made me old. Soon it will give me pleasure to say "today, tomorrow or next Tooosday" or "how now brown cow?"

Comment

Brian Hartman was my worst ever opponent. It got so bad against him that I would sometimes lose in half an hour (not kidding) right in the opening. I must have lost a dozen games before I scored anything. I finally beat him and treasured that game for years but now Ive forgotten it and I've lost the scoresheet. (kudos to Brian - he was a monster in the opening)

Comment

Brian Hartman was my worst ever opponent. It got so bad against him that I would sometimes lose in half an hour (not kidding) right in the opening. I must have lost a dozen games before I scored anything. I finally beat him and treasured that game for years but now Ive forgotten it and I've lost the scoresheet. (kudos to Brian - he was a monster in the opening)
                  On the White side of a Vienna turned King's Gambit this morning at Chess.com, I was already winning before losing in 9 moves. Sometimes openings can be abysses of desperation LOL

Comment

good thing it was online - Im not sure what the worst thing of losing in an over the board tournament is - maybe the huge amount of time before the next round? - I learned fast not to stand around looking at other games because I would end up thinking - look how well these guys play and how badly I played - beating myself up all over again.
                    anyways I shouldnt hijack the thread

Comment

Yes the chess tube. What was the name of it? My memory for all sorts of things is gone - Covid and its effect has made me old. Soon it will give me pleasure to say "today, tomorrow or next Tooosday" or "how now brown cow?"
                      KNIGHT MOVES

I have a set those pieces ... KNIGHT MOVES is embossed on the top of the rooks, ha!, set in a serif typeface ... perhaps Times New Roman.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 11th March, 2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Thats it! Thanks - KNIGHT MOVES - distinct and classy

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          Hal and I have also enjoyed many friendly casual conversations over those years; I have always emerged from those better informed and happier, since Hal is such an upbeat person!! In every scenario when I was around Hal, as described above, I always saw from him highly professional knowledge and effort, utmost consideration for multiple points of view, friendly people skills, and a forward-looking outlook on what would be best for Canadian chess. While I never contemplated chess involvement for myself at anywhere near Hal's level, he has inspired me to become more involved in Canadian chess, and I believe I have made, and am making, a positive contribution as a result. I know for a fact that Hal has inspired and mentored several other important organizers in Canadian chess. Hal is one of my favourite people in Canadian chess!

Hal has also served as an Arbiter at higher levels in important events with FIDE than any other Canadian has done. He has run a successful series of International Tournaments at Guelph for many years. Hal is well respected as a teacher and proponent of youth players.

I believe that CFC President Vlad Drkulec, in some of his postings on this board covering this important topic, has been somewhat disrespectful of Hal's efforts, skills, qualifications, and contributions. These actions by Vlad have been both unfortunate and disappointing; they have not contributed to a solution, while making what was already a bad situation even worse. Hal has been an organizer in Canadian chess for 30+ years, at the national and international levels, while Vlad is at about a decade of involvement at that level, with nowhere near the breadth and depth of contributions that Hal has attained. Hal is well known and highly respected around the world in chess. Hal could attend any important chess event in the world, and find friends!

Respectfully submitted,
                          Frank Dixon
                          NTD, Kingston
                          Thanks Frank for the the great record of Hal's contributions. Hal saved the day for the CFC several times by stepping up at the last minute to give of his time to run a national Championship. There are many great volunteer organizers running annual tournaments across Canada year after year. But Hal went further to attract out-of-towners to come to Guelph. The turnout was always close to Toronto's numbers. It was a joy to play players I've never met before. He might hold the record for most GMs participating in Swisses in Canada, over all of his tournaments, second to Montreal.

Phil Haley had the great accomplishment of directing Olympiads. Angela Day worked for the grandmasters' organization. And Hal has been an arbiter for super GM matches. If I ever meet Hal in a bar, I must buy him a beer and salute him. What a great guy.

Comment

My post was not meant to be thorough or comprehensive on Hal's myriad contributions to Canadian chess; I focused only on my encounters with him. Documenting everything for Hal would amount to a full biography, I think.

Another point which I believe requires more emphasis is that Hal brought back to Canada his international knowledge and experience from the important world-level events which he was involved with. Those actions made every organizer who worked with Hal that much better. No Canadian has ever done so much in that respect.

And let's not forget that Hal has been a 2000+ player, as well!

Comment

Any update on the FIDE investigation? I just did a fast scroll through the pages in this thread and I count, roughly:
                              - 14 people who are supportive of Hal
                              - 1 person (Vlad) who is against Hal
                              - 3 people (Fred, Neil, and Francis) whose position is unclear.

What I find disturbing is that there must be hundreds of people who have benefitted from Hal's organizing skills over the years - enjoyed his tournaments; had opportunities to test themselves against stronger players and improve their game. Many of those people, I assume, are members here at Chesstalk. But only 14 could speak up and be supportive? I know the chess player stereotype is the spineless nerd but seriously people - surely there comes a time when you have to stand up and be heard.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                                Any update on the FIDE investigation? I just did a fast scroll through the pages in this thread and I count, roughly:
                                - 14 people who are supportive of Hal
                                - 1 person (Vlad) who is against Hal
                                - 3 people (Fred, Neil, and Francis) whose position is unclear.

What I find disturbing is that there must be hundreds of people who have benefitted from Hal's organizing skills over the years - enjoyed his tournaments; had opportunities to test themselves against stronger players and improve their game. Many of those people, I assume, are members here at Chesstalk. But only 14 could speak up and be supportive? I know the chess player stereotype is the spineless nerd but seriously people - surely there comes a time when you have to stand up and be heard.
                                On another note, I see a possible agenda item on the CFC April 11-18th meeting is an attempt by Nikolay Noritsyn to remove Vlad as president of the CFC.
                                Perhaps more details will appear on the meeting thread(s) over on the CFC board...

here:
                                http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ng-April-11-18
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X