Thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

I want to thank everyone who endorsed me in this long and difficult campaign - your support was key to helping me win. A special thanks to non-voting members: IM David Cummings, FM Mike Ivanov, FM Mike Dougherty, and David Filipovich for their kind words about me.

My job is "to start filling Hal Bond’s very large shoes," as David Filipovich very accurately said. Canadian chess excellence, on a national and international stage, will be my top priority.

Congratulations Victor. I was quite discouraged by the whole set of circumstances around this election of a new FIDE rep for Canada but I believe that you were the best choice...

on what might be a tangential matter:

I was browsing around the CFC forum discussions around your election and that of Patricia Gamliel (as a sort of additional member of the CFC Executive Board?).

I came across a link to what Sasha Starr advertised as a video meeting from International Broadcast Media TV - conveniently referred to as IBM TV... here is a link to this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhwjmxNhbs

I have not watched much of this as it is late in the evening, but I have downloaded a copy in case it somehow later disappears (I am not paranoid, just pragmatic).
    I'm not sure what the point of the video is, but it was billed as "all you need to know about Chess Politics in Canada...".

Apparently Spraggett and Drkulec were invited to attend but the lineup was adjusted to include Tsypin and Ken Regan and GM Mihail Marin and his wife...
    [EDIT: the invitation for Spraggett and Drkulec may be for this Saturday (Feb 26) and the more I look at this, I believe that is so]

Might make for interesting listening - I don't know. I've posted this here not to imply anything although I noted that you were also invited to that video meeting ...
    I will watch it as some point soon so that I can find out everything one needs to know about Canadian Chess Politics :)
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 25th February, 2021, 04:24 PM. Reason: clarification of invitees for which episode
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Congratulations, Victor!

Comment

Yes congratulations Victor! After all that transpired I'm glad that you are representing us.

Comment

Congratulations, Victor! I am looking forward to your strong leadership for Canadian chess with FIDE, going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Congratulations Victor. I was quite discouraged by the whole set of circumstances around this election of a new FIDE rep for Canada but I believe that you were the best choice...

on what might be a tangential matter:

I was browsing around the CFC forum discussions around your election and that of Patricia Gamliel (as a sort of additional member of the CFC Executive Board?).

I came across a link to what Sasha Starr advertised as a video meeting from International Broadcast Media TV - conveniently referred to as IBM TV... here is a link to this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhwjmxNhbs

I have not watched much of this as it is late in the evening, but I have downloaded a copy in case it somehow later disappears (I am not paranoid, just pragmatic).
            I'm not sure what the point of the video is, but it was billed as "all you need to know about Chess Politics in Canada...".

Apparently Spraggett and Drkulec were invited to attend but the lineup was adjusted to include Tsypin and Ken Regan and GM Mihail Marin and his wife...
            [EDIT: the invitation for Spraggett and Drkulec may be for this Saturday (Feb 26) and the more I look at this, I believe that is so]

Might make for interesting listening - I don't know. I've posted this here not to imply anything although I noted that you were also invited to that video meeting ...
            I will watch it as some point soon so that I can find out everything one needs to know about Canadian Chess Politics :)
            It really did not get too far into chess politics beyond some general observations. I told Sasha that I was going to be restrained.

I have a bit of work to do on my video presentations including camera positioning. There was a blanket on the window because there was too much light coming out even with the blinds and drapes closed. The blanket was a bit smallish as well but that was what I could do in just a few minutes short of removing the blanket on the bed which would have left a messy bed. In the sound and light check about ten minutes before the broadcast started, Sasha asked me if I could close the drapes because the light was washing me out of the picture. I have the camera set up behind a fairly largish 27 inch monitor. It is fine for chess lessons because the focus is on the shared display on my desktop and not my video. For a video interview it is a bit far away. Also most of my lessons are later in afternoon or evening so the window is dark.

One note about something that was said at the interview. The CFC is recognized as the National Sports Organization (NSO) for chess in Canada by the Canadian Olympic Committee. What we lack is recognition by the Canadian government that we are a sport. We will be working on that and many other action items in the six months between now and the AGM.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              What we lack is recognition by the Canadian government that we are a sport. We will be working on that and many other action items in the six months between now and the AGM.
              Good luck, but do not expect success. It may be best to pursue other objectives with a better chance of coming to fruition. History has firmly demonstrated that unless the IOC officially declares chess to be a sport and allows chess into the Olympic Games, the game will never been deemed a sport (worthy of Olympic sport funding) by the government of Canada. Back in the mid-90s, FIDE made a very serious effort but were told by the IOC that they had not demonstrated that chess is a sport. Appeals to the government of Canada have met with a similar fate, so far as I can recall. This comes as no surprise insofar as chess is clearly not a sport by any reasonable definition of the term, chess is a finite board game without random chance (luck) as is Checkers, Go, and Othello (flip the black and white pucks). To refer to chess players as athletes is silly. For if they are, so too are Go players, Checkers players and Othello players. Chess needs to give up the illusion that it produces athletes and athletic competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Good luck, but do not expect success. It may be best to pursue other objectives with a better chance of coming to fruition. History has firmly demonstrated that unless the IOC officially declares chess to be a sport and allows chess into the Olympic Games, the game will never been deemed a sport (worthy of Olympic sport funding) by the government of Canada. Back in the mid-90s, FIDE made a very serious effort but were told by the IOC that they had not demonstrated that chess is a sport. Appeals to the government of Canada have met with a similar fate, so far as I can recall. This comes as no surprise insofar as chess is clearly not a sport by any reasonable definition of the term, chess is a finite board game without random chance (luck) as is Checkers, Go, and Othello (flip the black and white pucks). To refer to chess players as athletes is silly. For if they are, so too are Go players, Checkers players and Othello players. Chess needs to give up the illusion that it produces athletes and athletic competitions.
                Brad, just to clarify:

IOC and Sport Canada say that chess is sport and recognize FIDE and CFC, accordingly. However, the IOC does not let chess into Olympics Games. Sport Canada does not fund chess.

IOC recognized sport international federations what do not participate in Olympics are at https://www.olympic.org/recognised-federations
                The list is long. However, there is a lacrosse, the national summer sport of Canada. It is funded by Sport Canada.

In principle it does not require to be an olympic sport to get funding from Sport Canada.

Can chess be squeezed in those lines?
                https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...l/funding.html

Maybe one day :)

Comment

Need to clarify your recent post, Kerry.

"Apparently Spraggett and Drkulec were invited to attend but the lineup was adjusted to include Tsypin and Ken Regan and GM Mihail Marin and his wife...
                  [EDIT: the invitation for Spraggett and Drkulec may be for this Saturday (Feb 26) and the more I look at this, I believe that is so]"

There were two different programs on IBM TV dealing with "Canadian Issues".

One on February 20th, featuring GM Marin with his artist wife Maria (a FIDE Master), Professor Kenneth Regan (IM), and IA, IO Vadim Tsypin as a participant in the CFC FIDE rep. election. The other two candidates (Aris Marghetis and Victor Plotkin) have declined to participate.

The other program was on February 27th. As my overall goal is to make Canadian politic transparent and be free of the backroom deals, so CFC members (including VMs) could assess the merits of the candidates and their policies and could ask relevant questions. Therefore I've invited Victor Plotkin, Aris Marghetis, Vadim Tsypin, Vladimir Drkulec and GM Kevin Spraggett, 8 times Canadian Chess Champion. Accordingly the name of the program was created. However Aris and Victor have declined, and Spraggett hasn't shown up, was replaced by WIM Nava Starr, 8 times Canadian Women's Champion.

A few days ago Eric Malmsten suggested to me to invite on the show Aris Marghetis, Victor Plotkin and Hal Bond, to have their part of the story available. I've replied that Aris and Victor were already invited numerous times but declined. So if he can bring all three (on any one of them) to the program, I'll make the space and time available.
                  Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Maybe one day :)
                    Thanks for the update. Don't hold your breath. :)

Comment

Congrats Victor you are the best guy after Hal for the Job. Is Vlad going to go to your meetings so you can be a puppet?

Comment

Working...
                      X