Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

Although I frequently refer to chessbase for news, I have not purchased much from their shop since a long-ago purchase of Fritz 13 or something or other.

Their big announcement the other day of Fat Fritz 2 caught my eye and so did the 99 Euro price...

Not long after I saw that, this blog entry also caught my attention:

https://lichess.org/blog/YCvy7xMAACI...2-is-a-rip-off

it seems that chessbase's Fat Fritz 2 may simply be a repackaged use of Stockfish (which is freely available)

Anyone have any insight?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Anyone have any insight?
    I don't have it.

Though, I look af Fritz type products as they advertise "the latest version of the most advanced chess playing interface in the world". The best thing that Chessbase lets to install and use all kind of engines found on internet including Stockfish. Thus, the newest interface is not needed if you're using it only to run engines. I upgraded once to the higher version just to have cool 3D boards :) The next purchase was probably only a decade later.

However, I try to keep up with Chessbase as it is a "professional" tool, and a profession shall support upgrades otherwise something wrong with the profession :) Anyways, CB'8 would be sufficient if it was easy to install on "modern" computers.

As for the price -- what is cheap these days? The conversion rate also makes things more expensive. Recently I looked at my purchases on amazon -- chess books what costed ~20 CAD, now in 40 range. Good that store including Strategy Games from time to time offers good deals. The library is growing :) Finding time to read is more challenging.

Comment

Did not realize a thread had started on the subject already.

Claim that FRitz fat 2 is a copy:
      https://stockfishchess.org/blog/2021...n-fat-fritz-2/
      Tags: None

Comment

Working...
      X