King's Indian & Benoni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King's Indian & Benoni

Against d4, I've played the King's Indian forever, and had a lot of fun doing so.

For a (pandemic) change, I'm checking out the Benoni.

Anyone out there have comparative thoughts on these Black openings vs. d4?

I'm currently in the 1800 range.

Thanks.

I've played both so can give some tips :)
    Benoni hangs on tactics (hangs being the operative word) so if you don't know the main lines somewhat you can get lost positions out of the opening easily.
    That being said, lots of room for outplaying opponents and theoretically semi-solid if played in 3.Nf3 ...c5 move order. Also teaches you to play more positionally than the King's Indian I would say, since kingside attacks are less common unless they go for some premature f4. King's Indians are fun but stop being fun after 2300~ level especially in tourneys with prep. Benonis are more dark-square strategy oriented, since the g7 bishop actually breathes. Lastly, be prepared to be disappointed by a wide array of anti-Benonis, especially at a 1800 level. E3, Nf3/g3, and even b3 stuff. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ivanov View Post
      I've played both so can give some tips :)
      Benoni hangs on tactics (hangs being the operative word) so if you don't know the main lines somewhat you can get lost positions out of the opening easily.
      That being said, lots of room for outplaying opponents and theoretically semi-solid if played in 3.Nf3 ...c5 move order. Also teaches you to play more positionally than the King's Indian I would say, since kingside attacks are less common unless they go for some premature f4. King's Indians are fun but stop being fun after 2300~ level especially in tourneys with prep. Benonis are more dark-square strategy oriented, since the g7 bishop actually breathes. Lastly, be prepared to be disappointed by a wide array of anti-Benonis, especially at a 1800 level. E3, Nf3/g3, and even b3 stuff. Have fun!
      Thanks Mike! I especially appreciate your insights for different rating levels.

Comment

Any thoughts on dealing with anti-Benonis?

Comment

Playing the Modern Benoni, a player must have something ready to meet lines with an early f2-f4. These are among the most dangerous tactically.
          After playing the Modern Benoni for several years, I gave it up in favour of the Benko Gambit. I think of the Benko as an 'improved' Modern Benoni, although Black does sacrifice a pawn early.
          I continue to play the King's Indian, but have certain struggles with it against players 2100+; although I would struggle with anything against players of that high standard. I aim for KID lines that are somewhat offbeat, and try to find new ideas in those; I have had success with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
            Playing the Modern Benoni, a player must have something ready to meet lines with an early f2-f4. These are among the most dangerous tactically.
            After playing the Modern Benoni for several years, I gave it up in favour of the Benko Gambit. I think of the Benko as an 'improved' Modern Benoni, although Black does sacrifice a pawn early.
            I continue to play the King's Indian, but have certain struggles with it against players 2100+; although I would struggle with anything against players of that high standard. I aim for KID lines that are somewhat offbeat, and try to find new ideas in those; I have had success with this.
            Thanks Frank. I'm watching the Charlotte Open today, and I saw someone change from a Benoni into a Tarrasch. At first glance, it looked smooth to me, but I gotta look at it more thoroughly.

Comment

For Anti-Benonis, check out Benoni gambit with d5 and b6/g6 setups vs. e3. Not scary for black theoretically obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ivanov View Post
                For Anti-Benonis, check out Benoni gambit with d5 and b6/g6 setups vs. e3. Not scary for black theoretically obviously.
                Thanks again Mike!

Comment

So I'm finding numerous Benoni games featuring Tal ... some of these tactics just make me marvel!

Comment

GM Mikhail Tal was the primary world-class player who popularized the Modern Benoni, starting in the mid-1950s. The line definitely suited his highly tactical style at that stage of his career!! The line had been considered suspect for Black before Tal took it up. He owes a lot of his rapid rise, between 1955 and 1960, to the fact that many of his opponents were unprepared for the complex and messy positions which arose. He went from being just one of many faces in the Soviet master crowd to World Champion, in five years!
                    A great Benoni resource is the mid-1970s book 'Benoni -- Son of Sorrow'. It has virtually every important game featuring strong players to that juncture. I have this, and am not using it, so it is yours to borrow from me, Aris!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                      GM Mikhail Tal was the primary world-class player who popularized the Modern Benoni, starting in the mid-1950s. The line definitely suited his highly tactical style at that stage of his career!! The line had been considered suspect for Black before Tal took it up. He owes a lot of his rapid rise, between 1955 and 1960, to the fact that many of his opponents were unprepared for the complex and messy positions which arose. He went from being just one of many faces in the Soviet master crowd to World Champion, in five years!
                      A great Benoni resource is the mid-1970s book 'Benoni -- Son of Sorrow'. It has virtually every important game featuring strong players to that juncture. I have this, and am not using it, so it is yours to borrow from me, Aris!
                      Thanks Frank, for both the recommendation and the offer, that's very gracious of you. Still learning ...

Comment

Working...
                      X