Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democratic Chess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgRN1B7McA&t=809s

Watch a game GM A. Shirov - GM A. Donchenko this Saturday at 3 PM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
      Watch a game GM A. Shirov - GM A. Donchenko this Saturday at 3 PM!
      Hi Sasha, I came up with an idea that maybe ChessStars could try out for it's Saturday shows. No, this isn't a joke, I do joke around a lot but this is for real. So I'm going to give you this idea for free and hope you can make it happen, since your company is apparently well financed. This idea can actually make money, I believe.

Here it is:

A game of chess is played in which before making any move, a player must ask a question about some predefined topic (after first answering his or her opponent's question). The topic could be general, such as "Philosophy", or it could be very specific, such as "Should Canada Be More Independant From the U.S.?".

A voice recorder could be used to record the questions and answers. When answering a question, the player must continue the conversation by asking another question to his opponent on the same topic. The goal is to complete the whole game and not run out of questions. The answers are only for entertainment sake and can be nonsense if the player so decides. It could even be a simple "yes", "no", or "I don't know". But the subsequent question must be on topic.

The questions and answers would all be in English unless another language the two players both know is agreed upon.

If the game has a time control, it should be a long one and there should be at least 30 secs per move increment to allow for the questions.

Now imagine this: each game is a TV show or streamed over the internet. It has maybe 2 analysts to analyze the chess moves, which they do while players are thinking. But it is also keeping a running script of the conversation going on between the opponents.

In order to keep things interesting, after each game the listeners / watchers each get to vote a score from 0 to 100 for what they thought of the conversation. They could vote on the game itself also, but that separate vote would not be important. The vote on the conversation is credited half to each player. The players that get the higher conversation votes are brought back for more games. This means that players that don't converse much or just talk gibberish would be weeded out and not get the opportunity to play more of the paid games. Yes, they are paid some nomimal sum to play this game.

Eventually the players would compete as much in the conversation as they would over the chess board, in order to be popular and make more money.

If you do this Sasha I only hope you will give me credit as the inventor. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X