Chess books I've read recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess books I've read recently

I've been keeping busy reading chess books (326 lifetime). Here's the ones I read in 2020:

The Bobby Fischer I Knew and other stories by Arnold Denker, Larry Parr

Breaking Through by Susan Polgar, Paul Truong

The Art of the Middle Game by Paul Keres, Alexander Kotov, Harry Golombek
    - I bought this one from the CFC around 1981, when Jonathan Berry recommended it. Thanks Jonathan!

My First Chess Club by David Cohen, Sofia Polgar
    - Not cheating to count this one, since Sofia contributed the rhymes plus the beautiful illustrations. You can find it on Amazon (paperback) and Kindle (e-book).

The Anatomy of Chess Error by Kenneth Winterton
    - I edited this manuscript written by Ottawa master Ken Winterton in 1973. It's around 600 pages with 500 diagrams. Hoping to publish it within the next few months.

Here's the ones I read in 2021:

Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky
    - I remember Gordon Taylor recommending this when he worked at the CFC in the 80s. As with the Keres/Kotov book, I should have read this ages ago, it's a wonderful book.

The Development of Chess Style by Max Euwe

Plus, during '20-21 I played through all of the games in:

Maroczy's 100 Chess Games by Geza Maroczy, Kagan
    Gata Kamsky - Chess Gamer: Volume 1 Awakening 1989-1996 by Gata Kamsky
    Gata Kamsky - Chess Gamer: Volume 2 Return 2004-2013 by Gata Kamsky
    My Most Memorable Games by Boris Gelfand
    Grandmaster Performance by Lev Polugaevsky
    Fire on Board: Shirov's Best Games by Alexei Shirov
    Fire on Board Part II: 1997-2004 by Alexei Shirov
    The Best of the Best 1000 by Chess Informant (Top 10 in each of Vol.1-100)
    The Best of the Best: the next chapter 1001-1100 by Chess Informant (Top 10 in each of Vol.101-110)

Hey David, it has been a number of years since we enjoyed a conversation in person. Does reading all of these books improve your ability to play chess? Do you read on any other subject?

Comment

Brad,

Hi!

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      Does reading all of these books improve your ability to play chess?
      No!! I find that my understanding and enjoyment of the game have both increased tremendously. Yet my playing ability has not been changed greatly! Actually, it's probably gone down, as expected with me getting older. I suspect that if I alternated reading and play, then the lessons from the reading would be learned and I would improve. Unfortunately, I mostly read and rarely play, so it's all lost, as far as playing ability goes.

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      Do you read on any other subject?
      Yes, I read in one other area. I've read 542 of the 1001 Children's Books Which You Must Read Before You Grow Up, for the obvious reason that I haven't grown up yet. I've read all of the 0+,3+ and 5+ books, and I'm into the 8+ category, so I feel like I've turned 8 years old. One of these is the 1001 Arabian Nights, which I'm about 1/3 finished.

Regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
        Brad,

Hi!

No!! I find that my understanding and enjoyment of the game have both increased tremendously. Yet my playing ability has not been changed greatly! Actually, it's probably gone down, as expected with me getting older. I suspect that if I alternated reading and play, then the lessons from the reading would be learned and I would improve. Unfortunately, I mostly read and rarely play, so it's all lost, as far as playing ability goes.

Yes, I read in one other area. I've read 542 of the 1001 Children's Books Which You Must Read Before You Grow Up, for the obvious reason that I haven't grown up yet. I've read all of the 0+,3+ and 5+ books, and I'm into the 8+ category, so I feel like I've turned 8 years old. One of these is the 1001 Arabian Nights, which I'm about 1/3 finished.

Regards,

David
        I'm currently reading His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I think it's supposed to be for teenagers, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the captivating (even though it's fantasy) writing style.

Comment

Chess books I've read recently

March 18, 2021

David, I am looking forward to buying the Winterton book. 600 pages is pretty massive.

As a teenager, I read all the books on a list of One Hundred of the World’s Greatest Novels. The series about the Three Musketeers gave me great pleasure and I have re-read them a dozen times.

Others that impressed me back then were:

Wilkie Collins – The Woman in White
          Victor Hugo – The Man Who Laughs
          Eugene Sue – The Wandering Jew

No one reads these any more. I particularly remember The Wandering Jew because I read it during a rainy week at Expo ’67. It is full of secret societies – Jesuits and Indian Assassins called Thuggees. So intense was it, that I have never picked it up to re-read it in the 50 years since.

A list of the best novels ever, published this year has The Lord of the Rings, To Kill a Mockingbird, Catch-22, The Tin Drum, 1984, Robinson Crusoe and Moby-Dick on it. These are more familiar to modern readers, though Dumas, Hugo and Collins are still there too.

Comment

David, a distinguished chess author! Congratulations.

Comment

David, you are certainly dedicated!!

I can recommend GM Bareev's book 'Say No To Chess Principles', which I am working on.

The original text of 'The Queen's Gambit', by author Walter Tevis from 1983, is also excellent; I re-read it as the hit TV series was being presented.

I am looking forward, also, to the forthcoming Winterton book!!

Best Canadian chess books I have seen:
              1) 'Chess The Hard Way', new edition, by GM Yanofsky.
              2) 'Chess On The Edge' by FM Harper.
              3) IM Day's Nick book.

Comment

This is a nice thread. I envy those of you who enjoy reading fiction but have never managed to read much myself. I know that Deen Hergott reads massive amounts of fiction, his list would be astronomical. I read large numbers of history books when I am not studying philosophy. Of course, "Nick's Best" by Lawrence Day has a special place in my heart and I wish all Canadian chess enthusiasts would read and enjoy this masterpiece. I am sure Strategy Games could help out quickly if you are interested. :)

Comment

I read, perhaps 'consume' is a better word, as much as I can on Japan spanning from about the beginning of the Kamakura period all the way through to the end of the Edo period. So about seventy-five books or so on that rich range of Japanese art & culture.

Other than that ... my Batman collection never stops growing, ha!

And there's more ...ugh.

Comment

http://www.thechessmasterandthelibrarian.com/ My wife Anne is a librarian and I now am one too (actually Im just a shelver). The best part of my job is the books I get to pick out during the course of my shift. On our website we have book recommendations - more than 100 a year for the last 5 years. Reading is an ongoing joy and absolutely a comfort in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      http://www.thechessmasterandthelibrarian.com/ My wife Anne is a librarian and I now am one too (actually Im just a shelver). The best part of my job is the books I get to pick out during the course of my shift. On our website we have book recommendations - more than 100 a year for the last 5 years. Reading is an ongoing joy and absolutely a comfort in these times.
                      Thanks for posting that link Hans... very interesting.
                      I will take a look at your recommendations for reading (not just chess books I presume! haha)
                      although my TOREAD queue is enormous at the moment and only seems to increase.

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

"TOREAD queue is enormous" - thats always a good place to be Kerry!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Awesome!

Over at the OPL (Centerpointe) they have a side gig goin' on where they sell de-shelved(?) books and also books which folks have donated :)

Many a great find!

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                            My First Chess Club by David Cohen, Sofia Polgar
                            - Not cheating to count this one, since Sofia contributed the rhymes plus the beautiful illustrations. You can find it on Amazon (paperback) and Kindle (e-book).
                            Looks like a very neat book. Put on my list.
                            Do you plan a sequel? I remember Sofia lived in Toronto like 10 years ago but heard that she moved back to Europe. How does your collaboration work?

I saw only once a chess club mentioned in a kids book and it was in one of the Franklin's books.

Comment

Working...
                            X