Chess Canada 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada 99

We have a new issue of Chess Canada now on the website.
    John has entitled this one simply 99.

The issue starts with 99 positions to solve, then 99 games either by Canadians or played in Canada.

For those who haven't found Chess Canada on the new website, select players then Newsletters.

Here is the link.
    https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/newsletters/

Please enjoy and give us your feedback here.

Thanks, Bob. Are CFC members supposed to be emailed the pdf, or at least a download link? The last email I have from the CFC about a new magazine was May.08.2020

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
      Thanks, Bob. Are CFC members supposed to be emailed the pdf, or at least a download link? The last email I have from the CFC about a new magazine was May.08.2020
      Thanks Sam, yes, I plan on sending out that email in the very near future. I just need to compose a message including recent developments at the CFC re. our new website and membership management system. We do still have lots of members where we don't have email addresses. That issue is however improving. :)

Comment

Kewl beanz!

Comment

enjoying puzzles and games! Relived Tal - Larsen and Spassky - Tal, Montreal 1979 (I was there!) Two unforgettable miniatures by the unforgettable Misha Tal!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            enjoying puzzles and games! ...Montreal 1979 (I was there!)
            Thanks!

Any chance you took any photos while there?

There is a terrible scarcity of photos online from Montreal 1979. I found only two, the pic with Tal and Karpov holding the winners' trophy, and one with Gligoric talking with Kavalek (IIRC), which is not exactly a high-interest pic.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
              Any chance you took any photos while there?
              Hey John. I have several good photos of the famous Shirov-Nickoloff game, North Bay 1994. One of them shows Spassky twiddling with the pieces as soon as the game ended. I would be pleased to let you have them temporarily if you would like to scan them and then publish them here, and anywhere else appropriate.

Comment

There is a terrible scarcity of photos online from Montreal 1979. I found only two, the pic with Tal and Karpov holding the winners' trophy, and one with Gligoric talking with Kavalek (IIRC), which is not exactly a high-interest pic.
                Have you checked Montreal'79 books?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Hey John. I have several good photos of the famous Shirov-Nickoloff game, North Bay 1994. One of them shows Spassky twiddling with the pieces as soon as the game ended. I would be pleased to let you have them temporarily if you would like to scan them and then publish them here, and anywhere else appropriate.
                  That's a great offer! Thanks.

I expect to be back in Ottawa for a day or two after Easter, and I can bring my scanner or camera if we can arrange a date.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Have you checked Montreal'79 books?
                    I don't know how to get a copy of the Montreal '79 "Tournament of Stars" book without going broke. It is Out of Print (AFAIK) and is currently listed for $120 paperback on Amazon.

My hunch is that the Tal/Karpov/trophy pic is from that book, but it wasn't credited where I found it.

Comment

I don't know how to get a copy of the Montreal '79 "Tournament of Stars" book without going broke. It is Out of Print (AFAIK) and is currently listed for $120 paperback on Amazon.

My hunch is that the Tal/Karpov/trophy pic is from that book, but it wasn't credited where I found it.
                      You might get it cheaper. More patience.
                      http://www.chesslund.com/detail.asp?...-Montreal-1979
                      The same picture as in 99.

I have a Russian version of the book. The picture quite different - only Karpov and Tal (who uses his left hand) hold the trophy. Need it? Though paper quality is not great.

Comment

Those photos are also in my copy...

le grand tournoi international d'echecs

"TERRE DES HOMMES"

Montreal 1979

by Svetozar Gligoric

...and a bunch more photos too, including bio photos, simul photos, tournament stage photo, etc..

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 26th March, 2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Alas my photos were ruined in a flood when I first came to Kitchener.

Comment

I solved #4 blindfolded. Kolty sure missed a lot of chances against young Abe Yanofsky.

Comment

At Strategy Games we have 4 used copies of the Montreal 1979 event. Two are in English and two are in French. They are all in good condition:

Montreal 1979 Tournament of Stars (Pergammon Press) Softcover

Montreal 1979 Tournament of Stars (Pergammon Press) Hardcover

Le grand tournoi international d'échecs Terre des Hommes Montreal 1979 (La Presse) Softcover

Le tournoi international d'échecs Montréal 1979 (Guerin) Softcover

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these books you can make us an offer by e-mailing me: bevand at chess-math dot org.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X