KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022-24

From the depths of the pandemic, yes, we're already talking KEC 2022!
    Also, given the pandemic, our original 2019-22 run is extended to 2024.

We've already started planning the following dates (Easter long weekend):
    KEC 2022: April 14th-18th, 2022
    KEC 2023: April 6th-10th, 2023
    KEC 2024: March 28th - April 1st, 2024

KEC is a 9-rounder, featuring the Canadian Closed, and Zonal for that year.
    And there's also 3 lower sections, each with a minimum 1st place of $1000!

The successful 2019 schedule was 1-2-2-2-2 rounds on Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon
    Note that for many people, both Good Friday and Easter Monday are holidays.

I have a question for players rated over 2200 (Canadian Closed/Zonal section):
    Would you prefer the 9 rounds over 5 days, or instead extended over 9 days?

All the best, Aris Marghetis.

Hi Aris, why not 9 games in 6 days? It give 3 days with 1 game instead of one with the 5 days format.

Réjean Tremblay

Comment

Originally posted by Réjean Tremblay View Post
      Hi Aris, why not 9 games in 6 days? It give 3 days with 1 game instead of one with the 5 days format.

Réjean Tremblay
      Thanks Réjean for your idea to consider!
      If you like, send me more details by email.
      For example, are you thinking 1-1-2-2-2-1

By the way, I hope you're doing very well!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        Usually it was like 1-2-2-1-2-1 with 6 days and 9 rounds. First day -- arrival and one round, then serious chess; a "rest" with one round; two rounds again; and on the last day early start and go home.

Comment

Like Egidijus, i would like 1-2-2-1-2-1. I suggest for the last day to start the round at 09:30, closing ceremony about 14:30, 15:00 or 15:30, few minutes after the last game is over. In 2019, the last day have 2 games, so I try to play/draw my last game fastly because I have about 6 hours of car to comeback to Quebec city. I was happy to quit at 4:55 pm and arrive at 11 pm. :-) Hope you're doing very well too Aris!

Just for the little story Aris, my picture at the left was taken at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston when my oldest son graduated in 2016. :-)
          Last edited by Réjean Tremblay; Saturday, 10th April, 2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Réjean Tremblay View Post
            Like Egidijus, i would like 1-2-2-1-2-1. I suggest for the last day to start the round at 09:30, closing ceremony about 14:30, 15:00 or 15:30, few minutes after the last game is over. In 2019, the last day have 2 games, so I try to play/draw my last game fastly because I have about 6 hours of car to comeback to Quebec city. I was happy to quit at 4:55 pm and arrive at 11 pm. :-) Hope you're doing very well too Aris!

Just for the little story Aris, my picture at the left was taken at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston when my oldest son graduated in 2016. :-)
            Yes, I understand why Egis and you would prefer 1-2-2-1-2-1 to 1-1-2-2-2-1. Let me try to explain the scheduling challenge. It's quite fun to think of this, and I am widely open to better ideas!!

First, note there are two types of sections. The top section (Canadian Closed, Zonal) MUST be at least 9 rounds, with only one schedule available. In other words, no section merging towards the end of the tournament. In addition, the higher-level (>=2200) players who comprise the top section seem to be more willing as a group to stretch games out over more days. Not every player, but especially for the Zonal: there's norms and travel subsidies at stake, players at that level prepare more, and if an elite has their room covered, they don't mind staying another free night!

However, the other lower sections are a different animal. For example, while there's almost NEVER a bye in the top section, they happen more and more in the lower sections. So some players would prefer 1-1-2-2-2-1 simply because taking two byes to start would save two hotel nights. In addition, a LOT of the players in lower sections in 2019 told me they LOVED squeezing the 9 rounds into 5 days. They never get to play 9 rounds, and it's usually less chess than the top section players play (it's a simple trend, lower-rated players usually play shorter games timewise).

One thing that I REALLY want to improve, is to have just one round on the last day. I think it would be FAR more enjoyable for everyone, and should result in more travelling-in participants.

And one thing I like about the Rejean/Egis idea of 1 game on the third-to-last-day, is that falls on the Saturday, which is best for playing tourist in Kingston! (Friday & Sunday are holidays).

I wonder if we can get even BETTER hotel rates if we stretch out over more days?! But in order to negotiate over that, I would like to have a great feel for what potential players would prefer!!

Here's some questions to consider:

1) if you are >=2200:
            1a) would you prefer 9 rounds over 5 days or over more than 5 days?
            1b) if more than 5 days, any thoughts regarding 11 rounds (for norms!)?
            1c) if you are elite, would you do paid simuls or lectures on 1-round days?

2) if you are <2200:
            2a) would you prefer 9 rounds over 5 days or over more than 5 days?
            2b) if only 5 days, would you gladly take byes for missed earlier rounds?
            2c) if some days were only 1 round, would you pay for simuls or lectures?

Answers to the above questions will really help me in planning negotiation approaches with hotel, city, etc. As great as KEC 2019 turned out, if there's a better formula, then let's go for it!!

Thanks again, best, Aris (emailed responses welcome: arismarghetis at rogers dot com)

P.S. for my picture (I don't know who posted it here), that's during United States - Russia at the 2016 Baku Olympiad. The press and other players who continually swarmed that match was INCREDIBLE. My fellow Arbiters kept bringing me energy drinks and trying to secure a perimeter lol. It was one of the best days of my life, but it was EXHAUSTING lol. Wonderful memories!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Thanks Réjean for your idea to consider!
              If you like, send me more details by email.

By the way, I hope you're doing very well!
              Like, if you ask person in a prison or concentration camp "Do you prefer black or red caviar?"

Comment

By the way, I've already initiated contact with some of our Arbiters, and I think we're prolly looking at distinct Fair Play Officers. If you might be interested, please email me. I'm already shopping for cool spy-type gear. But please, be honest with yourself: in such a position, you'll be seeing very little actual chess, as you'll normally be needed more outside the playing rooms than within them.

Thanks, best, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Comment

If it takes 6 days, many young players will not be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wang View Post
                    If it takes 6 days, many young players will not be in.
                    Thanks Chris for the feedback. Could you expand a little more on why you think that is? I'm hoping that if we propose a schedule that adds let's say 75 room nights, that we could leverage an even more discounted room rate. Would that change your concern? Also, if it absolutely had to be only 5 days for you/your family, how would you feel about using a bye for the first (therefore sixth) day?

Finally, not knowing where you live, would it interest you to only have one game on the last day (vs. getting home well after dark for most travelling players)? Thanks lots for your comments, Aris.

Comment

Hi Aris,

Because the holiday will start from Good Friday to Easter Monday, only 4 days, and the kids need to go school and their parents have to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wang View Post
                        Hi Aris,

Because the holiday will start from Good Friday to Easter Monday, only 4 days, and the kids need to go school and their parents have to work.
                        Thanks Chris, I understand, that's a good double-point for younger players and their parents/families.
                        So I'm going to ask everyone some questions again, hoping for more responses from other people too.

EVERYONE:

Chris' feedback is that for Wed-to-Mon (where Fri & Mon are holidays):
                        Chris prefers the rounds-per-day schedule 0-1-2-2-2-2 vs. 1-2-2-1-2-1
                        Chris' main reasoning is that the first choice avoids losing a day of school and work (the Wednesday)
                        Note that I predict we will get better hotel room discounts with the first choice (but not negotiated yet)

So now I just have two new questions:
                        1) Would you prefer the tournament starts on Wednesday or Thursday?
                        2) If you prefer Thursday, but the event starts Wednesday, how do you feel about taking a 1/2-point bye for Round 1 (therefore playing 8 real games after)?

Thank you in advance, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Comment

Hi Aris;
                          If I was going to play in this tournament, I would be planning a few vacation days during that week so that I would not have to run back to school or work after.
                          Anyone who is travelling to this tournament should not be thinking this is a weekend swiss. It should be thought of as a major tournament like Cdn Open where you actually plan a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                            Hi Aris;
                            If I was going to play in this tournament, I would be planning a few vacation days during that week so that I would not have to run back to school or work after.
                            Anyone who is travelling to this tournament should not be thinking this is a weekend swiss. It should be thought of as a major tournament like Cdn Open where you actually plan a trip.
                            Thank you John. That's the way I think of it too. Looking forward to hearing what others think as well.

Comment

The sections could have shorter days with different starting times. Only 3-4 days for under 1200 as their games are fast. 4.5 days for under 1800. And 5.5-6.5 days for over 1800/Closed. The stronger youth over 1600 may be more motivated to take a day off of school. This is not the Canadian Open in the summer. And some can only afford to go to one or the other.

As this is over a year away can do a survey by emailing all CFC members in Ontario and Quebec. Or at least email all the players who entered last time (and ask them what could have been done better). Under the direction of the CFC Master's Rep, emailing all Canadians over 2200. Does the Master Rep not regularly email all the titled players?

Comment

Working...
                              X