KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    The sections could have shorter days with different starting times. Only 3-4 days for under 1200 as their games are fast. 4.5 days for under 1800. And 5.5-6.5 days for over 1800/Closed. The stronger youth over 1600 may be more motivated to take a day off of school. This is not the Canadian Open in the summer. And some can only afford to go to one or the other.

As this is over a year away can do a survey by emailing all CFC members in Ontario and Quebec. Or at least email all the players who entered last time (and ask them what could have been done better). Under the direction of the CFC Master's Rep, emailing all Canadians over 2200. Does the Master Rep not regularly email all the titled players?
    Thanks Erik, but I don't see different overlapping schedules. For two main reasons. First, sheer logistics, both on behalf of Organizers-Arbiters and players (from families, couples, etc). Then, one of the attractions of KEC for non-top section players is that it feels like a "special" tournament for them too. In 2019, our U2200/U1900/U1600 sections just LOVED playing "serious" chess for their $1000 first place prizes, etc. I'm concerned with in any way risking reducing the stature of the non-top sections.

So at this time still, I would really like to focus on the specific questions arising from Chris' feedback:

Chris' feedback is that for Wed-to-Mon (where Fri & Mon are holidays):
    Chris prefers the rounds-per-day schedule 0-1-2-2-2-2 vs. 1-2-2-1-2-1
    Chris' main reasoning is that the first choice avoids losing a day of school and work (the Wednesday)
    Note that I predict we will get better hotel room discounts with the first choice (but not negotiated yet)

So now I just have two new questions:
    1) Would you prefer the tournament starts on Wednesday or Thursday?
    2) If you prefer Thursday, but the event starts Wednesday, how do you feel about taking a 1/2-point bye for Round 1 (therefore playing 8 real games after)?

Thanks, arismarghetis at rogers dot com
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Sunday, 11th April, 2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

That was the one reason I never played in North Bay. They did not include the Monday Holiday. So I could not afford a two day off without pay back then as we did not get holidays except two weeks off in July for plant shut down.. Had it been Friday to Monday I could have phoned in sick on the Thursday and headed up to North Bay. How times have changed now I could take a week off and not worry as I'm getting the two pensions so it would not effect my income.

Comment

Hi Aris, i read the post of Frank Dixon about the covid situation in Kingston in other thread and i wonder is it thinkable to have a plan B if the covid situation will not improve in Kingston by april ? Thanks in advance for your answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Réjean Tremblay View Post
          Hi Aris, i read the post of Frank Dixon about the covid situation in Kingston in other thread and i wonder is it thinkable to have a plan B if the covid situation will not improve in Kingston by april ? Thanks in advance for your answer!
          Hi Rejean, yes, what is happening in Kingston now doesn't sound good. However, with the speed of COVID developments, I don't think we can reasonably predict how Kingston will be by Easter. In addition, if the situation in Kingston reaches an intolerable point, well then I expect that the situation would be at least almost as bad within most sizeable cities in both Ontario and Quebec anyway.

Whereas I'm in discussions with the City of Kingston and their Tourism people, and with two competing hotels, I don't think we'll decide on where until at least two weeks after the holidays. That's based primarily on the historical "worst waving" that occurs about 10-14 days after people get "more social". Hopefully then we'll be looking at the beginning of the next trough between waves?!

Comment

Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. has told staff and faculty that all courses will be delivered remotely until the end of February.

Comment

Yes, Aris, thanks. As well, the university was pressured last week to change its exam schedule to drop in-person formats, in favour of on-line. The university admin first refused, then gave in.

Two significant contributing factors to the worsening Kingston situation:
              1) In mid-October, young people organized a massive gathering in the student district just north of the Queen's campus, despite the university cancelling all in-person Homecoming activities. This was despite the university, community, and police warning against this behaviour, which made national media headlines. Thousands of people jammed a stretch of road a few blocks long. It's the sort of activity which has taken place regularly for Queen's Homecoming in past years, and brings people from out of town, some of whom may have no connection to Queen's or Kingston. It was a super-spreader event during a pandemic, for no distinct positive purpose. Hundreds were arrested and charged. I believe Kingston is now seeing the effects, although no one in authority has yet gone on the record acknowledging this. It seems we may need a new Canadian law, to deal with this situation of recklessly endangering public health, during a time of great danger, an international pandemic.
              2) A national university men's rugby tournament, held in Kingston the last weekend of November, has spread cases across Canada. A national university women's rugby tournament, also held in Kingston two weeks earlier, doesn't seem to have caused significant spread. That, however, was before Omicron arrived in Canada.

As well, Kingston Public Health has now greatly expanded its COVID-19 testing and vaccination capabilities, as of the past few days, with booster shots now available. But new cases are still rising in the region. Kingston regional health restrictions, recently tightened, are now more stringent than those imposed recently by the province of Ontario.

Comment

If there is a tournament this Easter, out-of-town Ontario players can claim on their income tax return the new staycation tax credit of 20% of accommodation expenses.

Comment

If there is a tournament this Easter, out-of-town Ontario players can claim on their income tax return the new staycation tax credit of 20% of accommodation expenses.
                  Thank you Erik, that is an absolutely brilliant point!! We all owe you!!

Would you know where I could research the entry fee being covered?
                  And/or, as most players stay at the hotel, we could allocate sub-totals.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Thank you Erik, that is an absolutely brilliant point!! We all owe you!!

Would you know where I could research the entry fee being covered?
                    And/or, as most players stay at the hotel, we could allocate sub-totals.
                    Not entry fee, but hotel costs (not college dorms). Only 1 person per family can declare it. Multiple trips up to $1,000. Only for Ontarians. Refundable tax credit even if have no income.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-...on-tax-credit?

Comment

Not entry fee, but hotel costs (not college dorms). Only 1 person per family can declare it. Multiple trips up to $1,000. Only for Ontarians. Refundable tax credit even if have no income.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-...on-tax-credit?
                      Thanks, I'll try to find out what else can qualify under this bullet:

"the portion of the expense that is necessary to have access to the accommodation"

If anyone out there really knows this stuff, please email me, thanks!!

Comment

Interestingly, the Toronto Star wrote yesterday (Jan. 2, 2022) that Kingston may show an example on how progress is being made (page 3).

I found the headline and article to be overly optimistic: It was enthusing on how Kingston has now stopped the growth of new COVID cases, and that the new cases are stabilizing at a high level. Perhaps this is what has to pass now for good news. It quoted a doctor stating that this is an example for what other health units can strive for, in the near future. I guess with the daily cases in Ontario now approaching 20,000 that we need all the good news we can get.

And with the roll-backs announced today, and Ontario schools staying closed, it will likely mean no Ontario HS Championship, for the third year in a row. It is one of my favorite events to organize.

Comment

Hello everyone, so we're now more hopeful than ever for the return of KEC in 2022! I have meetings with hotels and tourism folk in the coming weeks. The plan is to be as sure as feasible before collecting people's money (as we learned from the 2020 cancellation surprise) - In the coming week, we really need to hear from:

Anyone who wants to play in both the Reykjavík Open and at KEC! I really need to know your earliest probable arrival time in Kingston. I need to know this soon, as it will help determine the KEC schedule. Please email me directly (arismarghetis at rogers dot com). If I don't hear from you, travel schedules might not mesh?

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

Comment

Aris, you should just charter a jet to fly the players from Reykjavik to Kingston!!!

On a more serious note, COVID-19 conditions in Kingston are improving, with case numbers dropping, and booster doses at one of Ontario's highest levels.

I really hope this tournament can be made to happen for Easter 2022!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                              Aris, you should just charter a jet to fly the players from Reykjavik to Kingston!!!

On a more serious note, COVID-19 conditions in Kingston are improving, with case numbers dropping, and booster doses at one of Ontario's highest levels.

I really hope this tournament can be made to happen for Easter 2022!!
                              Good one Frank!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                                Hello everyone, so we're now more hopeful than ever for the return of KEC in 2022! I have meetings with hotels and tourism folk in the coming weeks. The plan is to be as sure as feasible before collecting people's money (as we learned from the 2020 cancellation surprise) - In the coming week, we really need to hear from:

Anyone who wants to play in both the Reykjavík Open and at KEC! I really need to know your earliest probable arrival time in Kingston. I need to know this soon, as it will help determine the KEC schedule. Please email me directly (arismarghetis at rogers dot com). If I don't hear from you, travel schedules might not mesh?

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.
                                Hello again, we have only heard from two people.
                                Which is ok, unless there's more of you involved.

Expect the event announcement as of February 21st.
                                Which is when Ontario plans lifting more restrictions.

Thank you, kind regards, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Comment

Working...
                                X