KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOOD NEWS!!

Here's a distilled summary of today's Ontario announcements as they apply to us:

effective February 17th: WITH vaccination requirements on a "meeting and event space" (read playing hall), no more capacity limits
    effective March 1st: same as above, except without vaccination requirements (but note that "landlord" may continue requirements)

masking requirements TBD "at this time"

Comment

April 13th-18th, 2022
      9 full time-control rounds

details in coming days
      registrations open soon

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        April 13th-18th, 2022
        9 full time-control rounds

details in coming days
        registrations open soon
        some quick details today:
        - returning to same hotel
        - rooms only $100 (+ taxes, etc.)
        - including free parking and good breakfasts!

more details soon (there's a LOT being organized in a compressed timeline!)
        hoping to officially open registrations by March 1st (Ontario ends mandates)

5 sections:
        - both Zonal & Women Zonal (FIDE Delegate to announce exciting details soon)
        - U2200/U1900/U1600 = again each with a minimum first place prize of $1000!

Comment

Aris,

This is great news!

I suspect a key question for many will be how many days to take off school/work. Do you know at this point how many rounds will be on each day?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
            Aris,

This is great news!

I suspect a key question for many will be how many days to take off school/work. Do you know at this point how many rounds will be on each day?
            The schedule will be 1-2-2-1-2-1 rounds on April 13th-18th.
            That means a more enjoyable last day, returning home, etc.
            May the waterfront be gorgeous on the 1-round Saturday!
            And we're also looking at lecture, simul, etc. possibilities.
            N.B. 1/2-point byes available for the Unnnn Sectionals.

Comment

Thanks, Aris.

One last question... is it fair to assume Round 1 will be a night start - what will be the late rule for the first round?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                Thanks, Aris.

One last question... is it fair to assume Round 1 will be a night start - what will be the late rule for the first round?
                Yes, 7pm, 30 minutes grace.

If I may suggest, if you can wait just a few days for smaller details, we're striving to document everything very well.

Thank you for your interest and feedback, Aris.

Comment

Thank you, Aris!

Comment

As noted in another thread this is the 150th anniversary of a national chess championship!

Comment

The official event announcement will hopefully be issued this week. Some of you have been emailing me, and I of course understand we all really want to plan, also family and friends. There's still many details, including prize fund dependence on evolving funding agreements, better-automated room-booking mechanisms, and yes, tragically unfortunately, the invasion of Ukraine is causing understandable delays in finalizing the conditions and prizes of especially both Zonal sections.

For now, here's a composite list of things people have asked me about in emails:

- April 13th-18th, 2022; 9 full time-control rounds
                      - schedule of 1-2-2-1-2-1 rounds on April 13th-18th
                      - so a more enjoyable last day, returning home, etc.
                      (may the waterfront be gorgeous on the 1-round Saturday)
                      (and we're also looking at lecture, simul, etc. possibilities)
                      (N.B. 1/2-point byes available for the Unnnn Sectionals)

- returning to same hotel
                      - double-Queen bed rooms, only $100 (+ taxes, etc.) [LESS than in 2019!]
                      - including free parking and good breakfasts (for everyone staying in room!)

5 sections:
                      - both Zonal & Women Zonal (FIDE Delegate to announce exciting details soon)
                      - U2200/U1900/U1600 = again each with a minimum first place prize of $1000!

Thank you for your patience, and believe me, you can trust that this is happening!

Comment

Hi Aris:

You may have given this info at some point, but it is not in the lead post, and there are now quite a few posts here.

Could you provide the details re the hotel playing venue/room rental: Name, address, e-mail, reception/booking tel. no. and whatever else you think should be added?

I noted the double-Queen room for $ 100/night + tax in your prior post. Though I am thinking of it, there is one factor in the wings that may end this idea......but in the meantime, I may do a bit of getting things together......am talking to a potential roomie.

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Aris:

You may have given this info at some point, but it is not in the lead post, and there are now quite a few posts here.

Could you provide the details re the hotel playing venue/room rental: Name, address, e-mail, reception/booking tel. no. and whatever else you think should be added?

I noted the double-Queen room for $ 100/night + tax in your prior post. Though I am thinking of it, there is one factor in the wings that may end this idea......but in the meantime, I may do a bit of getting things together......am talking to a potential roomie.

Thanks.

Bob A
                          Hi Bob, the official event announcement will hopefully be issued this week. EVERYTHING will be included there!

Thanks for your interest!

P.S. some people are offering me special deposits to "save a spot", but there's no need, NO CAPACITY LIMITS!!
                          Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Thursday, 3rd March, 2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your patience, the event announcement will be out tomorrow morning in a new thread, our final review is happening this evening. We're still working another significant funding possibility, but people need to start registering and reserving hotel rooms, so we're proceeding with what we already know for sure.

We're already looking at a prize fund over $13K for 100 players (that's how many we had in 2019), which is quite nice. The announcement is fairly long and detailed, but there's a couple of points that I would like to also emphasize here and now, as they could affect your actual hotel booking tomorrow (or whenever you do it):

1) The number of people in your room will not change your room rate. However, the hotel needs you to accurately enter how many adults and children will be in the room. This is so that the hotel can effectively organize our free breakfasts every morning. Please let's help them by entering the number of people accurately.

2) The hotel is making available multiple room styles for the same low price. However, most of their rooms are double-Queen-beds. There are much fewer of other (normally more expensive) rooms available (single-Queen & Junior Suite), so if you prefer one of the latter, I encourage you click on the special link I'll post early.

Best, Aris.
                            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 7th March, 2022, 08:29 AM. Reason: reducing early-bird entry fees, so reducing prizes

Comment

Working...
                            X