Capablanca playing blitz in 1914?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
    "All Chessplayers Are Banned" - hilarious...it certainly changed the minds of some as to the stereotype!
    I do not recall the sign, but I certainly recall the events that probably lead to its being posted. Two players, well refreshed, engaged in a wrestling match on the outdoor patio and stumbled onto the street seconds after a bus roared by. Fortunately there were several watering holes along that "strip" across the street frome the venue of the chess tournament, one of which featured wonderful dancing, and it was this establshment that was frequented the most when some of the boys needed to unwind both before and after their games. As far as the chess went, also mentioned should be Deen Hergott's great play, finishing clear second if I recall, ahead of Nick and Alex. One game I remember vividly was Tom O'Donnell's theft against Alex, it was an act of outright highway robery. In fact, Alex turned 18 during that event and I personally sponsored his "coming of age" birthday party at the aforementioned dance club. There was one occasion during that evening when he, Nick (who always had a big-brotherly affection for the kids and strived always to set a good example), Ron Livshits and Timour Koliada were all up on the stage laying below the dancer while the two and five dollar bills that I had supplied were being tactfully extracted from their mouths. I am sure that many of us could write a book on side events of that tournament alone, though to protect the innocent...

Comment

Working...
    X