2021 Canadian Chess Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
    Trophies for Quebec top-10 were given out a few weeks ago.

Comment

None in Ontario that I'm aware off. Are results still under review?

Comment

Yes there are trophies for the top 10 in each grade in Ontario. We have sent some by mail to those who do not live near the GTA or the Ottawa region. I should get the rest of the trophies to Ottawa and Toronto in the next week and winners will be notified to pick them up.

Comment

The National finals of this annual event takes place this weekend (Saturday & Sunday and 26-27, 2021). Over 1,000 youngsters took part in their provincial championships across the country! A maximum of 120 players (max of 12 per province...some provinces will be missing players in some grades unfortunately) have made it to the finals.

You can follow the results live as they happen with Chris Dawson's magical scoreboard:

http://chess-challenge.chess-math.or...lish/index.xml

You can find the schedule of the rounds and other important information at:

https://chess-math.org/canadian-chess-challenge-2021

Larry Bevand
          Executive Director
          Chess'n Math Association

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            The National finals of this annual event takes place this weekend (Saturday & Sunday and 26-27, 2021). Over 1,000 youngsters took part in their provincial championships across the country! A maximum of 120 players (max of 12 per province...some provinces will be missing players in some grades unfortunately) have made it to the finals.

You can follow the results live as they happen with Chris Dawson's magical scoreboard:

http://chess-challenge.chess-math.or...lish/index.xml

You can find the schedule of the rounds and other important information at:

https://chess-math.org/canadian-chess-challenge-2021

Larry Bevand
            Executive Director
            Chess'n Math Association
            Thank you to all the organizers for the hard work they are putting in to make the Nationals possible; Raunak had a enriching experience at the Quebec event.

BTW, it seems a Kindergarten section was never part of Nationals since the kids were too young for OTB; it may be worthwhile to have atleast an online event for Kindergarten in future years, even as the rest go back to OTB.

Comment

In round 7, B.C. has a win in grade 1 against Quebec...gonna be interesting :).

Comment

Two Quebec players finished with minus scores. Is this a first? I don't ever remember any Quebec player with a minus score in the past history of the Chess Challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Two Quebec players finished with minus scores. Is this a first? I don't ever remember any Quebec player with a minus score in the past history of the Chess Challenge.
                  Forgive my ignorance, Hugh, but what's a negative score in this context? Looking at the results, I couldn't quite make out...

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post

Forgive my ignorance, Hugh, but what's a negative score in this context? Looking at the results, I couldn't quite make out...
                    The players scored less than 50%. Look at "Results by province"; click on QC. You will see Quebec's players listed. Two of them got less than 4.5 (50%) - i.e. a "negative" or "minus" score - they lost more points than they won.

Comment

The players scored less than 50%. Look at "Results by province"; click on QC. You will see Quebec's players listed. Two of them got less than 4.5 (50%) - i.e. a "negative" or "minus" score - they lost more points than they won.
                      Thanks for explaining.

Comment

Sometime we would say -1 (minus one) or -2; or better +2 or +3.

Like for 9 rounds tournament +1 = 5 points; +2 - 5.5; +3 -- 6 points etc.

Comment

How winner would be decided if Quebec and Ontario finished 6:6?
                          If Quebec won 7:5, for example, Ontario would finish second despite scoring way more points as a team than Quebec.

Anyway, the last round between Quebec and Ontario was very exciting. Especially games between grades 11 & 12 down to the last second. Lots of spectators too.
                          Very well organized tournament and real time score update was fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                          X