RIP Dan Scoones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Dan Scoones

I have been informed that Dan Scoones has died. No other information at present.

So sad. Yes, I see on his Facebook page people have sent their condolences since April 15. I seem to remember him on the Canadian chess scene forever. RIP

Comment

Dan was one of my great chess friends during my time in Vancouver and we kept in touch after I moved to Budapest. He would give me an update once every few months and I always got a nice message around Xmas time. One convo we had was when he mentioned after retiring he would have time to play chess, but I did not see him in many tournaments after this

Comment

This is a shock. Dan was co - admin on my facebook group - Outdoor Chess tables - and he often posted and we exchanged emails. I would often go to him for historical chess knowledge and he was a great source of information and support for me. It will be like missing an old friend. RIP Dan

Comment

I would not say that I knew him a lot. Though he was was an active member of this forum posting on various topics but stopped several years ago. After that he became active on facebook, and our passions on chess books again crossed the roads.

RIP

Comment

Looks like his last activity on Chess Talk was Saturday, 9th June, 2018
            I never met him but I recall enjoying his informative posts here on CT. Rest in Peace.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Please post an obit (or link to one) when/if available.

Comment

This is a very significant loss for Canadian and B.C. chess. I never met Dan, but I learned an enormous amount from an extraordinary article he wrote for 'Chess Canada Echecs', on chess openings in a general sense. This was one of the very best articles ever published by the magazine.
                Dan was a National Master player for several decades, resident in Victoria. He was also an organizer, and chess teacher.
                Rest In Peace, Dan Scoones.

Comment

RIP Dan Scoones

April 20, 2021

Edward Winter in Chess Notes gives the passing of Dan Scoones

https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/index.html

and points out his contribution to the non-coverage of Korchnoi in the Candidates cycle:

https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/korchnoi.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                    This is a very significant loss for Canadian and B.C. chess. I never met Dan, but I learned an enormous amount from an extraordinary article he wrote for 'Chess Canada Echecs', on chess openings in a general sense. This was one of the very best articles ever published by the magazine.
                    Dan was a National Master player for several decades, resident in Victoria. He was also an organizer, and chess teacher.
                    Rest In Peace, Dan Scoones.
                    When I read this thread, my memory went to the article that Frank writes about. I also thought it was a very helpful as I was just starting out as a chess player. His advice shaped my opening play for years. I have scanned the article and attached it to this post for those of you who want to read it again, or for the first time. Maybe it can be included in the next issue of Chess Canada!?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Profit; Thursday, 22nd April, 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post

When I read this thread, my memory went to the article that Frank writes about. I also thought it was a very helpful as I was just starting out as a chess player. His advice shaped by opening play for years. I have scanned the article and attached it to this post for those of you who want to read it again, or for the first time. Maybe it can be included in the next issue of Chess Canada!?
                      Thanks for posting that article; I agree that reposting it in CCN is a good idea.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks to Brian for posting this article. Having read it again now, its great value still resonates! Dan's section on 'Nodes' is especially insightful for me; its concept was completely new for me. The article got me thinking about chess in several ways I had simply not done before. Using several of its major themes, I began studying more, with more focus, and playing more tournament chess. I advanced from rating of 1780 in 1985, when the article was published, to 2000 by 1991.

Comment

I didn't know Dan super well, but I had nothing but pleasant encounters with him. He was friendly, clever, and incredibly knowledgeable of local chess history and lore. My thoughts are with his family.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

http://dadianchess.blogspot.com/ Another one of Dan's contributions.

Comment

This should appear on the BCCF website soon (chess.bc.ca), but for the time being

https://bcchesshistory.com/BCCFBulletin409.pdf

(starting on page 4)

Comment

Working...
                              X