The Gladstone Gambit - Simon Gladstone Simul with FM Mike Ivanov providing commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gladstone Gambit - Simon Gladstone Simul with FM Mike Ivanov providing commentary

Hopefully, some of you will remember me as a "Chess Dad" to Simon Gladstone, fundraiser for the Olympiad, Captain of the U-16 Youth Team to Burdur Turkey in 2010 and co-captain of Canada's team to WYCC in Brazil.

I am pleased to announce that I am the Federal Liberal Candidate for Thornhill, in the upcoming election, whenever that may be.

Simon Gladstone has graciously offered to have a virtual Simul Match - The Gladstone Gambit - with FM Mike Ivanov providing commentary on May 10 to support my campaign.

I hope you'll consider supporting my campaign www.votegary.ca and purchasing a ticket and play Simon.

Tickets are $400 each, with a rebate of $300 when taxes are filed, for a net cost of $100 Tickets can be ordered here

For further info, please contact Gary Gladstone, info@votegary.ca

Thanks for your consideration

Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary Gambit-2 .png
Views:	79
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	212985

Tickets are $400 and you get $300 back at tax time. Net cost $100 It would be great if you could purchase and pass on to others. Thanks for your consideration gambit.votegary.ca

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2731.png
Views:	70
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	213046
    Last edited by Gary Gladstone; Tuesday, 27th April, 2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Innovative idea! I hope it is successful. Bet on a September election, it looks!
      Best regards to Simon from Frank in Kingston; he and I met when planning for the 2016 University Teams event in Kingston, in which he was Head Organizer (and Captain of the Queen's University team), and I was Deputy Arbiter.
      Another Ontario Liberal candidate will be Dr. Ted Hsu for Kingston and the Islands, provincially. Ted and I are both members of the Kingston Chess Club. Ted is the former federal MP for Kingston and the Islands (2011-2015).

Comment

Frank,
        Great to reconnect with you and thanks for the kind words. Dr. Hsu and I are friends and he was certainly a wonderful MP and will make a great MPP.
        With your purchase of a ticket, only $100 after rebate, it will be even more successful and you can watch Simon pummel me :) Hope you can (and others) can purchase a ticket gambit.votegary.ca and if you want to play in the Simul, just let me know
        Gary

Comment

I would want drama, not a slaughter. I might pay to see a game between Liberal Gary Gladstone and Conservative Tony Clement, but the latter has retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            I would want drama, not a slaughter. I might pay to see a game between Liberal Gary Gladstone and Conservative Tony Clement, but the latter has retired.
            Without revealing names, there are multiple Canadian politicians who periodically look for lessons/consultations. It seems there are secret chess grudge matches up on Parliament Hill lol
            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Thursday, 29th April, 2021, 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
              Erik,
              Perhaps its time to play Simon again :) Or at least cheer me on

Comment

Here is a fine example of Simon's sharp play. Note that he was the head organizer of this event, as well as playing in it, all while carrying a heavy engineering program course load. That is quite a tough combination, but he did it successfully!!

Francesco Dunne (2165) -- Simon Gladstone (2152), Kingston 2016, Canadian University Team Championship (4), played 2016-01-10. French, Tarrasch, C04. Organizer: Simon Gladstone and Queen's University Chess Club, Arbiter: Tyler Longo, Assistant: Frank Dixon.
                Light notes by Frank Dixon.

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Bd3 c5
                [Wayne Coppin -- Frank Dixon, Kingston Chess Club rapid 2001, saw 4...b6 5.exd5 exd5 6.Ngf3 Bd6 7.O-O O-O 8.Ne5 Bb7 9.f4 Nbd7, transposing into an Exchange variation, where Black has a solid position (0-1, 34). Here the game retains more of the French flavour of central tension.]
                5.c3 Nc6 6.Nf3 Qb6 7.e5 Nd7 8.O-O
                [Offering one of the family of opening gambits available to White in various French variations. Rather than getting into a prolonged central slog, where White will be defending his centre while Black attacks it, White opts for a sharper possibility. If accepting, Black has to be very careful, with his King still in the centre. It was the English Master Sir Philip Stuart Milner-Barry who popularized this approach, from the 1930s. As well as being an English national team player, he was a key codebreaker during World War II, assisting the Foreign Office team on which Allan Turing played such an important role; their work led to surprise on D-Day in June 1944, and eventual victory, as the Germans did not know that many of their code systems had been compromised. The secret was kept until 1974.]
                8...cxd4 9.cxd4 Nxd4 10.Nxd4 Qxd4 11.Nf3 Qg4 12.Bd2 Be7 13.Re1 O-O 14.Rc1 f6 15.exf6 Nxf6 16.Re5 Ne4! 17.h3 Qg6
                [White hopes to get compensation for his pawn by chasing Black's queen around the board, and that is four queen moves so far.]
                18.Qe2? Rxf3! 19.Qxf3 Nxd2 20.Qe3 Ne4!
                [Correct and sharp; White needed a better move for his 18th.]
                21.Bxe4 dxe4 22.Qxe4 Qxe4 23.Rxe4 Bf6 24.Rc7 e5! 25.Kf1 Be6
                [With a clear advantage, Black finally has the time to develop his queenside.]
                26.b3 Bd5 27.Rg4 Bc6 28.f4? exf4, 0-1.

Comment

Working...
                X