Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celine Roos 1953 - 2021

Taken from the FQE site:

Céline Roos, one of the best Quebec chess players of the 1980s, died on April 20, 2021, she was 67 years old. French by origin, she moved to Quebec in the early 1980s and quickly became one of the best chess players in Canada, winning the gold medal on the first women's chessboard at the Salonika Olympics in 1984. Author, teacher, translator, she touched all aspects of the game. International female master, she came from a family of chess players, her father was champion of France in 1964 and her brother Daniel obtained the title of master international.

Taken from Chesstech.org:

WIM Céline Roos, the oldest of the Roos-siblings, passed away in Strasbourg. She was an English teacher, chess coach and translator. She blogged about literature, sometimes with reference to chess, and deconstructed a short story by Borges as based on a chess game.

I am so sorry to hear this news. My deepest condolences to Céline's family and loved ones.

I met Céline as a fellow team member at the 1984 Chess Olympiad. She was a beautiful person, who I greatly enjoyed talking with. In one part of my family it is tradition to bring forth humorous anecdotes in difficult times such as this - however, I only recall a serious, wonderful person. The only occasion perhaps was one night Roman Pelts, myself and Celine decided to venture out for a late night snack (the hotel restaurant was closed), we finally found a place, had a nice snack, good conversation, when Roman said something like "You will now see something unusual" He then asked Céline for a cigarette, and they both continued to enjoy the conversation as they puffed - I would have smoked too, except I had quit a year before. Roman explained he had one cigarette a year and only on a special occasion - I took it to mean he greatly enjoyed speaking with Céline.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Hartman; Sunday, 9th May, 2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I am very sad to hear this news.

I never met Celine, but greatly admired her strong play and excellent annotations in the magazine, which were always in French!! At the Olympiad, she was usually board 2, after WIM Nava Starr.

I believe she moved back to France in the 1980s.

Thank you so much for all you have done for chess, in Canada and around the world.

Rest In Peace, Celine.

Respectfully,
      Frank

Comment

Working...
      X