Mystery game #94: Shocking blunder opened door to history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #94: Shocking blunder opened door to history!

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, era, player strengths, variations, setting, format, time controls, etc. I will supply all data in a few days. Enjoy!!

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.c4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Bb4 6.Bd3 Be6 7.c5 Nc6 8.Ne2 Qd7 9.Qc2 Bxc3 10.bxc3 h6 11.O-O O-O 12.Nf4 b6 13.Ba3 Rfe8 14.Rae1 Ne7 15.Nxe6 fxe6 16.Re2 Ne4 17.Bxe4 dxe4 18.Rxe4 Nd5 19.Rfe1 b5 20.Bb2 Nf6 21.R4e2 Re7 22.Qg6 Qe8 23.Qc2 Qc6 24.Bc1 Rae8 25.Bxh6 gxh6 26.f4 Rg7 27.f5 exf5 28.Rxe8+ Nxe8 29.d5 Qxc5+ 30.Kh1 Nd6, 0-1.

Wayne Coppin (2070) -- Dr. Peter Sibbald (2001), Kingston 2002, Kingston Whig-Standard Championship (8), played 2002-12-02. Time controls 30/90', SD/60'. French, Exchange, C01. TD: Frank Dixon, Assistant Dr. Dilip Panjwani.

The task facing Wayne Coppin heading into this last-round game was straightforward: win the game, and he would be clear champion. Draw the game, and he would be no worse than a tie for first. Lose the game, and that would open the door for other contenders. Wayne had won his first six games, including wins over eventual champion Raja Panjwani, and former champs Geoff McKay and Frank Dixon. Then, in round seven, he dropped an extraordinary upset to outsider Brian MacDonald (1697), who was playing his first tournament in several years. That brought Raja back into the picture as a contender, after he had defeated his coach Dixon in a tough round six struggle!
    The situation recalled memories of the 1994 Whig, where Wayne had won his first five games, then lost in the final round to an outsider, allowing Jeff Towers, outrated by Wayne to the tune of 325 rating points, to claim the title, with Dixon (outrated by 221 points) finishing clear runner-up. Coppin had defeated both Towers and Dixon.
    Wayne chose his usual Exchange Variation against Peter's French Defense. Wayne had defeated me in this line a few years before; Peter had lost on the Black side of it to Ismail Ibrahim at the 1999 Kingston Open; both of those games had Black castling long. Until playing Wayne, I had never before faced a good player in that line; when he tried it again, a few years later, I won.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but two of the most consequential games in chess history both had Black winning against the Exchange French. The first was J.R. Capablanca vs Alexander Alekhine, first match game, World Championship, Buenos Aires 1927; Capablanca had never defeated Alekhine, in 15 years of trying, until that game. Alekhine went on to win the match. The second was Mikhail Gurevich vs Nigel Short, final round, Manila Interzonal 1990; this was a game which Short had to win in order to advance to the Candidates' matches. Short went on to emerge victor in the Candidates' series, and then faced World Champion Garry Kasparov in their breakaway match, London 1993; Short was clobbered.
    In a very competitive Kingston field in 2002, Peter, also a former champ, had hurt his chances by losing to Dr. Dilip Panjwani, Raja's father, in an early round; that game was one of Dilip's very finest efforts.
    The game is a fairly placid one; it is a quiet positional battle with not a lot going on. White goes for a Gunderam-type formation with c4-c5 on move seven; this has some punch against the Caro-Kann, but very little here. In the middlegame, White is a pawn up with a pleasant position and a small advantage; Black gets ready to meet a kingside attack. White has no clear way to increase his advantage. Then, with White approaching time pressure, with the control at move 30, it is all over quickly, after his crashing blunder 25.Bxh6?? White was evidently figuring on 25...gxh6 26.Qg6+ K-moves 27.Qxf6, winning another pawn, with this combination. However, Black would have instead replied 26...Rg7!, and then if the queen moves away, Black mates on g2. The game continued for a few more moves, passing the time control at move 30, then White resigned.
    Raja Panjwani needed to win to pass Wayne, and seized his chance, defeating MacDonald (!!) to finish half a point ahead of Wayne, and to become the youngest champion in the history of Kingston chess, at age 12 years, eight months!!! In so doing, Raja fulfilled my prediction, made three years earlier, when I started coaching him and his father, that he could do this! McKay defeated Peter Green to finish at 6, to tie with Wayne for second place; Peter finished at 5.5 for clear fourth.

Comment

Working...
    X