Chess Teacher, Chess Coach, Chess Trainer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Teacher, Chess Coach, Chess Trainer???

What's the big diff between the three ... Chess Teacher, Chess Coach, Chess Trainer?

Besides the $$$ that is, ha!

Thanks in advance!

Po-TAY-to
    Po-tah-to

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
      Po-TAY-to
      Po-tah-to
      Haha! Diff found in the small print!

Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        What's the big diff between the three ... Chess Teacher, Chess Coach, Chess Trainer?

Besides the $$$ that is, ha!

Thanks in advance!
        What about Chess Guru?

In American football, both pro and college, they have a special coach called the "Tight End Coach" (no lie). Because, you know, tight ends need special coaching. Maybe they are too anal retentive.

Comment

I have always used Chess Tutor as I steady my monocle..

Comment

Now where did I put that Tom Ford bow tie?

Comment

Thx everyones! I'm just building out the LEARN page on our new website and needed some clarificating :)

Looking for a chess teacher/coach/trainer/guru/tutor???

Should do quite nicely!

Comment

A multitasker like Lasker???

Comment

I would stick to something simpler, like "Are you looking for a chess tutor or coach?"

Comment

Dan Heisman is known as phillychesstutor. and there are alot of well known chess personalities who prefer coach and trainer. (Fide has senior trainer - what the heck is that?)

A well known Ottawa master has always referred to me as coach (for the last thirty years at least) Locally Im known in the music scene as the chess guru.
                    I always thought that when I was training students for championships or international tournaments I was a chess trainer, with all other students one-on-one I was a coach, and in the classroom I was a chessteacher. You could always make up your own definitions.

Comment

Would these be called Institutional Chess? The ones with the yearly membership chess courses?

Chess Tempo, GChess, KasparovChess, etc..

Private vs Institution?

'Institution' prolly not the right word.

Dan Heisman is brilliant! I completely wore out my 1990 copy of his cult classic Elements of Positional Evaluation, ha!

"Space is a vague pseudo element."

Comment

My favorite is Dan Heisman's : A Guide to Chess Improvement - the best of Novice Nook. Ive learned much from there to become a better teacher - especially the section on puzzles and the questions to ask in order to help better thinking and evaluating. The art of zwischenzug and zugzwang and bauerpraxis are illuminating and always joyfully surprising. Why are they always German words - surely we can invent some good ones of our own.

Comment

When CJOH asked me what I thought of the chess event I had just co-organized with Industry Canada I said without hesitation ... "Chesstastic!".

One word just like that.

A solid 5ive seconds elapsed before she recouped, ha! The look on her face was one of sheer confusion and delight! I had just combined chess+fantastic on a live broadcast, haha!

Good thing they captured it all on DVD for me!

Yes, DVD ...sigh.

So ya, I'm not a wordsmith :) I'm as far from being wordsmith as you can possibly get :) But Tom is a wordsmith, so too is Ian ... Deen is too. We should get on this. Get on this and own it ... to bad the CFC is spineless.

And as for our fresh new chesstastic website, I decided to avoid the whole name-title thingy. Instead I redefined the subject matter and created two categories ... Lessons and Courses.

Honored and humbled to 1st list IM Tom O'Donnell ... triple exclam !!! bro !!!

Linked him too! Linked him to a CMA article aptly entitled ... How to Select a Good Chess Coach :)

https://chess-math.org/blog/how-sele...a-jung-doknjas

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 6th June, 2021, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Yup Tom's the one. I support you 110% on that. Good insight. Good instinct.

Comment

Working...
                            X