Mystery game #98: Odd Queen's Indian idea refuted by Black -- this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #98: Odd Queen's Indian idea refuted by Black -- this time!

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, era, setting, player strengths, format, time controls, etc. I will provide all data in a few days. Enjoy!!

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6 4.Bd2 Bb7 5.Nc3 Be7 6.e3 O-O 7.Bd3 d5 8.O-O h6 9.Re1 c5 10.Rc1 Nbd7 11.e4 cxd4 12.Nxd4 Nc5 13.Bc2 dxc4 14.Nf3 a6 15.Bb1 b5 16.Qc2 Nd3 17.e5 Bxf3 18.exf6 Bxf6 19.gxf3 g6 20.Bxh6 Nxe1 21.Rxe1 Bg7 22.Bxg7 Qg5+ 23.Kg1 Kxg7 24.Rg1 Qh5 25.Ne4 Rh8 26.Rg2 Rad8 27.Ng5 Rd5 28.Nxe6+ fxe6 29.Qxg6+ Qxg6 30.Rxg6+ Kf7 31.Rg1 Rd2 32.Rf1 Rxb2 33.a3 a5 34.Kg2 Rg8+, 0-1.

Michael Tang (1701) -- Frank Dixon (2048), Kingston 2007, Queen's University Chess Club Active Quad 2), played 2007-04-28, time control G/30', TD Frank Dixon. Queen's Indian Defense, E12.

I am including this game here because I remain impressed by White's idea on move four: 4.Bd2!?. It is virtually untried, according to 365chess.com. I think it has potential to become an accepted variation, given time. For Michael, at that time just getting into tournament chess at the Queen's Chess Club, it showed original thinking, to be sure.
    In the game, it was a case of 'fox versus hedgehog', as GM David Bronstein has written, following one of the ancient Greek poets. The fox knows many things, and the hedgehog knows one big thing, In this case, White is the hedgehog, and he aims to attack on the b1-h7 diagonal. It is a regularly seen plan in queenside openings, and can be very strong, if not carefully watched. Black is the fox, and he knows many things, all of which are smaller in themselves, but must be arrayed and coordinated against the 'one big thing'.
    Both sides develop in their own space, with White not exchanging pawns on either d5 or c5 early on. His 10.e4 brings each side's plans into conflict, with many exchanging possibilities. I could have done without 8...h6?!, but that did channel White's play towards the b1-h7 diagonal. By playing 10...cxd4, I both free the c5 square for my knight to attack the undefended B/d3 next move, and bring White's Nf3 to d4, where I will gain a tempo by attacking it with 13...dxc4. I am trying to hold the gambit pawn, while closing down the dangerous diagonal. I am aided by White's tempo loss with the bishop; he could have retreated it to b1 right away on move 13. When I got in the 16...Nd3! parachute, I was confident that White's next move would be 17.e5!?, and it was. By then exchanging my B/b7 for the N/f3, I damage White's structure, and go down in material temporarily (fox), but do have one of the forked rooks to pick up, if I can deal with Qh7#, once I block that diagonal. I remove the N/f3 since it is a piece which could assist White's attack, while my bishop will not be a good defender (fox). White is up a piece, but with 19...g6!, I block the queen's access to h7, preparing to capture one of the rooks with my knight next move (fox). White gains another pawn with 20.Bxh6, but then I gain the exchange and a tempo, since I attack White's Q/c2 from e1, forcing an immediate recapture (fox). I then offer the exchange of bishops with 21...Bg7, but play the zwishenzug 22...Qg5+! (fox), before recapturing the bishop with my king, clearing the seventh rank (fox) for a rook move to h8, with attack (fox). Material is even, but with the board opened up, Black's rooks promise to be effective against White's shattered kingside, while Black's kingside structure remains adequate to deal with the pressure. Once queens come off, Black's advantage is clear, with his queenside majority bringing home the point.

Comment

Working...
    X