World Open - 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Open - 2021

World Open - 2021. Over the board (!!) in Philadelphia. Starting tomorrow, Jul 1 - Jul 5.

The list of players https://chessaction.com/tournaments/...mp+eng==&mid=1

Would be my first OTB tournament since Mar 2020 (World Team Senior) - more than 15 months ago. No direct flights Toronto - Philadelphia (??).

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    World Open - 2021. Over the board (!!) in Philadelphia. Starting tomorrow, Jul 1 - Jul 5.

Would be my first OTB tournament since Mar 2020 (World Team Senior) - more than 15 months ago. No direct flights Toronto - Philadelphia (??).
    All the best to you, Victor.

There are a couple of flights tomorrow morning (Jul 1) (not direct, though), so you should be in time for Round - 1 (7PM).
    Last edited by Amit R; Wednesday, 30th June, 2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post

All the best to you, Victor.

There are a couple of flights tomorrow morning (Jul 1) (not direct, though), so you should be in time for Round - 1 (7PM).
      Thank you.

Sure I have a flight. Connection in Charlotte. For some very unclear reason, we still have direct flight to Charlotte, but not to Philadelphia, which is much bigger and closer to Toronto.

Comment

All the best to you Victor. So they will get a thousand plus entries. Amazing!

Comment

The results can be found here. http://chessevents.com/2021/07/world...-open-section/
          Does not look like any Canadians are doing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            The results can be found here. http://chessevents.com/2021/07/world...-open-section/
            Well, no Canadian GMs/IMs were able to make it to the event, which has a lot of strong GMs, especially from the USA.

Comment

There's IM Edward Song 2402 (CFC 2331) USA 3.5/5

FM Anthony Atanasov 2070 (CFC 2308) is having a good tournament:
              defeated FM Eric Yuhan Li 2282, and FM Shunkai Peng 2316
              drew with FM Liran Zhou 2351
              lost to IM Alexander Ross Katz 2405
              playing IM Kassa Korley 2435

FM Ian Zhao 2347 (CFC 2393) got to play on Board 1, losing to GM Jeffery Xiong 2709

William Graif 2250 (CFC 2325) lost to GM Zaven Andriasian 2581

Comment

Hans Niemann beat Jeffrey Xiong. I have to start paying attention.

John Fedorowicz. He's an inspiration for us old guys. the Fed, the Fed, the Fed! Wow!

Comment

GM Hans Niemann and GM John Michael Burke tied for first. The youngsters are good! Congratulations to the Fed for going undefeated. Its a grueling schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    GM Hans Niemann and GM John Michael Burke tied for first. The youngsters are good! Congratulations to the Fed for going undefeated. Its a grueling schedule.
                    I met Hans Niemann when I played in the Los Angeles Open. He seemed like a very nice laid back youngster. I would have thought Jeffrey Xiong was in a class above them, so good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

Hi Victor,

Do you mind sharing whether you are training regularly?

Comment

I met Hans Niemann when I played in the Los Angeles Open. He seemed like a very nice laid back youngster. I would have thought Jeffrey Xiong was in a class above them, so good for them.
                        I've seen Hans quite a few times over the years, and he has a fascinating presence. Yes, he's laid back, but I find he's also very creative and a merciless competitor. Another cool thing about him is that he's very comfortable just chatting about this games afterwards, explaining what he was thinking at certain points, etc. Everyone who meets him seems to have a good reputation of him, etc.

Comment

Nice to hear about Hans Niemann. I'll add him to my favorites. Thanks.

Comment

A few points about this event.

1. Slightly less players, similar rating distribution as a few years ago.

2. As usual in US tournaments - if you play well, you play with mostly foreign or American GMs. If you play poor, you play against underrated juniors.

3. Masks are required and arbiters were strict about this rule. In 5 days I spent about 50 hours with mask - more than in previous 52 years.

4. I got lucky that tournament finished on Jul 5 - the day our politicians changed the rules about fully vaccinated Canadians coming home. If you want to play abroad - do you vaccine first.

Overall, it was a great experience to play some OTB chess nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                            X