2021 Banff Open Nov 12-14. Entries now open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Congratulations Ian. Almost 50 entries and 10 masters with more than two months to go.
    In these times, a lot of players are waiting till the last minute which is understandable. Also, lots of players are hoping the mandatory masking rule goes away, which is up to the Alberta government. That being said, I am happy with the numbers so far.

Comment

I am happy to announce the entry of FM Dale Haessel to our tournament. We are now up to 60 entries. Remember the early bird discount ends September 30!
      You may enter here. http://www.albertachess.org/home/202...21-banff-open/

Also, if you withdraw due to COVID at any time before the tournament, you will be refunded 100% of your entry.

Comment

The Alberta Government last night called a State of Health Emergency and imposed more COVID-19 regulations. As a result, the Banff Centre will now require Proof of Vaccination before entering their buildings and masks must be worn indoors. The regulations are a bit confusing, but at this point our tournament will forge ahead. One possible benefit, is that we may now get two large playing halls for the price of one, but this is still being determined.

Comment

I am sad to announce the withdrawal of IM Brian Hartman, due to business commitments. I am delighted to announce the entry of IM Ameet Ghasi. Ameet has moved to Ottawa and this will be his first tournament in Canada. In 2000 at the age of 13, he was the youngest ever to come 1st in the British Rapidplay. He did give up most of his chess playing for his career. In 2011, Ameet became an IM and with a current rating of 2485, he will have the highest FIDE rating at our tournament. You can read more about him on his Wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameet_Ghasi

Comment

I am delighted to announce the entry of GM Joel Benjamin. Joel will be the first GM to play in the Banff Open. I remember when Joel was on the cover of Chess Life and Review for surpassing Bobby Fischer's record of the youngest Master in USCF history. Joel went on to win many US championships as well as the Canadian Open in 2000 and last year the US Senior Championship. Joel was inducted into the Chess Hall of Fame in St. Louis in 2008 and was the youngest inductee. His bio can be seen here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Benjamin

Please save $10 by entering by September 30th. We are up to 68 entries. You may enter here. http://www.albertachess.org/home/202...21-banff-open/
            Last edited by Ian Findlay; Wednesday, 22nd September, 2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
              I am sad to announce the withdrawal of IM Brian Hartman, due to business commitments. I am delighted to announce the entry of IM Ameet Ghasi. Ameet has moved to Ottawa and this will be his first tournament in Canada. In 2000 at the age of 13, he was the youngest ever to come 1st in the British Rapidplay. He did give up most of his chess playing for his career. In 2011, Ameet became an IM and with a current rating of 2485, he will have the highest FIDE rating at our tournament. You can read more about him on his Wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameet_Ghasi
              Correction, this will be Ameet Ghasi's third tournament in Canada. He previously won the 2018 Ontario Open and in 2020 he played in a small tournament in Oakville. Thanks to Chesstalk readers for keeping me honest.

Participant and spectators, please remember proof of vaccination will be required to enter the Banff Centre. This means a piece of photo id also. Masks will be mandatory during the games. Sorry for this inconvenience. Hopefully this will not stop us from having the biggest and best tournament ever! Lastly, please take advantage of Early Bird Special, by entering by September 30th.
              You may enter here. http://www.albertachess.org/home/202...21-banff-open/

Comment

GM Joel Benjamin - a classy addition to the tournament.

Comment

I am happy to announce the entry of FM Gary Ng with a CFC rating of 2369. We are up to 79 entries. We do have a maximum of 100 entries. We will start a waiting list should this happen, but I do not expect a last minute rush. You may enter here and also see entries.. http://www.albertachess.org/home/202...21-banff-open/

Comment

SoCA has trusted in Alice Zheng from Zhongshan Lucky Art And Crafts Gifts Co., Ltd., ... who (whom?) we've found over on Alibaba dot com ... are this close to hammering out the very very very last details...

Click image for larger version  Name:	B.O._crunchtime.gif Views:	0 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	215646

As of right now at this very moment ... if we can pull this off in time ... geezer GM Joel Benjamin and alllll you other 'elites' who (whom?) have made the journey to compete in Banff Open 2021 just got lucky, ha!

peace,
                    n.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 27th September, 2021, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks Neil. This could be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                        Thanks Neil. This could be epic.

Here's the final artwork confirmed today of the BANFF OPEN pins as sent to me from the manufacturer...

Click image for larger version  Name:	BanffOpen_2021_pins.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	215669

The pins measure about 3.8 cm wide and 2.1 cm high:) Two chrome clutches on the back will hold the pin firmly in place :)

I ordered 100 pins :) 90 red ... 10 pink :)

China goes on their national workers holiday Oct.1 - Oct.7 ... manufacturer said that they will try to get the order over to me late Oct. :)

It is my hope that each and every participant in this year's Banff Open will receive a free Banff Open pin :)

A true Canadian chess collectable!

Ha!

peace,
                        n.

I might increase the order by just a few more for those who can't make it to the tourney :)

Comment

As of October 1st, I am delighted to announce we have reached over 100 entries. Our maximum capacity is 100 entries so entries have been closed for 2021. To be put on a waiting list, you may email me at ianfindlay2314@gmail.com . Typically, about 10 people withdrawal before the tournament starts, but that does make it tough for out of towners attend. Thank you to all my sponsors who have made this tournament the biggest and best tournament ever! Our sponsors include FIDE, ACA, SoCA, Banff Centre and our 'Armageddon' sponsor. I will try to get a larger playing site, but the Banff Centre is fully booked.

Comment

Hey Neil, can you send me the Banff Logo and the SOCA Logo when you get a chance. Thanks

Comment

Hey Tony, just sent over some B.O. goodness :)

The .ai vector file has the logo on a separate layer. That logo layer is simply on top of a grey background layer so that the logo's white outline can be seen.
                              The .png raster file has the logo on a clear background. You can place this on top of anything.
                              The .jpg raster file has the logo with a slight drop shadow so that the logo's white outline can be maintained on a white background.
                              The .psd raster file has the logo and drop shadow layer style and background all on their own layers.

If you need any adjustments at all ... give me shout, glad to help!

Comment

I am delighted to announce that we will have 50 separate tables which are socially distanced as much as can be. This year, we will have twice the playing space as we had in 2019. In normal times, I would say we could accommodate 200 players, but because of COVID and socially distancing, we are only able to allow 100 players in the room. We will have rooms 201,203 and 205 combined, for a staggering total of 5920 square feet. In addition we will have a smaller skittles room. Room 210 which is 408 square feet. Players checking in and giving proof of vaccination can wear a wristband and only have to show their proof once. Masks indoors are mandatory. Please bring your own masks but sets, pieces and clocks will be provided.

If you like to look at things positively, it was only due to COVID that we were able to obtain that much space. Many conferences cancelled. Always look on the bright side of life (apologies to Eric Idle). If you have entered and cannot come, please let me know ASAP, since there are 7 people on the waiting list.

https://www.banffcentre.ca/sites/def...Capacities.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X