• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Taylor Memorial Nov. 13-14 2021

Details have been announced for the 36th annual Jack Taylor Memorial at:

www.jacktaylormemorial.pbworks.com

Nov. 13-14, 2021. Victoria BC.

Hopefully COVID restrictions will not cancel us.....

Woohoo!

Gonna be brutal on the first day though... 3 classical rounds, with 3rd round starting at 7pm... it's going to be like 12 hours of chess!

Players from the mainland will have to stay a third day anyway as I don't think they'll catch the ferry back home.

Thrilled OTB is returning of course, but really would have preferred a 6 round 3 day event, but beggars can't be choosers :)
    Last edited by Tyler C; Sunday, 25th July, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler C View Post
      Woohoo!

Gonna be brutal on the first day though... 3 classical rounds, with 3rd round starting at 7pm... it's going to be like 12 hours of chess!

Players from the mainland will have to stay a third day anyway as I don't think they'll catch the ferry back home.

Thrilled OTB is returning of course, but really would have preferred a 6 round 3 day event, but beggars can't be choosers :)
      with a 2:30 game start, there is no problem catching the ferry. (last ferry is 9:00)

yeah, I much prefer 2 games/day but financial realities say otherwise.

Comment

Oops my bad. I was confusing myself with the first day!

Although... round two incorrectly shows as October :)
        Last edited by Tyler C; Sunday, 25th July, 2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          Details have been announced for the 36th annual Jack Taylor Memorial at:

www.jacktaylormemorial.pbworks.com

Nov. 13-14, 2021. Victoria BC.

Hopefully COVID restrictions will not cancel us.....
          Sad that they moved this tournament to conflict with the Banff Open, but that's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Sad that they moved this tournament to conflict with the Banff Open, but that's life.
            Yeah, I noticed that when posted, but I thought better to wait for you to say something. For what it's worth, as I'm only one person, I know that if I built a chesscation, it would be awesome to do a "mini tournament tour". This is much easier in the States, where you can easily get to a next significant event the following weekend. In Canada, I have relatives in Calgary and friends in Vancouver and Victoria, so if I were ever able to make one of these two events, then I would make the other one a week earlier or later. Anyway, something to consider for future years. At the same time, when I'm wearing my Organizer hat, I know that it can be incredibly challenging to make logistics work, so of course either of you have full right to ignore posts like this one, from just one "maybe" person.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

yeah, we're not happy about that either. We had already committed at the time you announced. The forces driving us to that weekend, (working around hotel peak season etc.) are pretty much the same for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

yeah, we're not happy about that either. We had already committed at the time you announced. The forces driving us to that weekend, (working around hotel peak season etc.) are pretty much the same for both of us.
                The good thing is that in COVID times, it is probably better if our numbers are a bit less this year. Sadly, the conflict may hurt you more than it will hurt us. We really have 0 flexibility on our dates, in order to get favourable rates at the Banff Centre. Hopefully, we will both be okay. FYI - We announce our dates about in December after the ACA Planning Meeting and post on ACA website. About 6 months before the tournament, it gets posted on CFC website. Good luck to both of us!

Comment

Working...
                X