2021 Alberta Closed Resutls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Alberta Closed Resutls

Congratulations to IM Bitan Banerjee for winning the 2021 Alberta Closed with a score of 4.5/5. 2nd prize went to FM Ian Zhao with 3.5/5 and 3rd place went to FM Gary Ng. Thank you to the Calgary Chess Club and Steve Sklenka for hosting the event. The participants wore masks, but it was great to have over the board chess again. It was the first CFC tournament that I directed with the assistance of Vlad Rekhson. I did get to rule on a triple repetition that happened between moves 70 and 77, Since they players did not agree it meant reconstructing the game.... but there is a shortcut.......Take the current position and it should repeat 3 times till you get to move 77! Lucky for me, Ian Zhao pointed this out to me and he made a perfect claim!

To my knowledge, the Alberta Closed is the second OTB tournament in Canada in 2021.

The first was the Maritime Chess Festival, organized recently by Fred McKim.

Is this right? Just trying to somewhat keep track of OTB coming back in Canada.

Bob

Comment

The Maritime Chess Festival was held at Thanksgiving 2020 - and was the only "open" CFC event from the start of the pandemic until the New Brunswick Active Championship, held last month. The 3rd Maritime Chess Festival will be held this Thanksgiving in Summerside, PEI.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        To my knowledge, the Alberta Closed is the second OTB tournament in Canada in 2021.

The first was the Maritime Chess Festival, organized recently by Fred McKim.

Is this right? Just trying to somewhat keep track of OTB coming back in Canada.

Bob
        In Alberta the chess clubs in Edmonton and Calgary have been operating since June. It wasn't submitted for rating yet as the weekly tournaments are still ongoing. We also had a couple smaller events.

Comment

Working...
        X