St Louis has started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Louis has started

St Louis has started and it has many of my favourite players - the Shak, Wesley So, Peter Svidler, Le Quang Liem, Rapport, Xiong, and Shankland. Should be a humdinger of an event.

Rd1 Sam Shankland played a3 against Rapport and Black has unleashed an avalanche of pieces and pawns. Sam is a great defender but I dont see how he can defend. Currently Black has 4 pawns vs a piece up but 3 of them are passed and advancing fast. Tactics include pawns!

Peter Svidler gives a pawn clinic. He starts with pawn chains and then liquidates his massive chain of h7.g6, f5, e4 and ends up with double G pawns and obvious draw. Have a look.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 11th August, 2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Good to see Uncle Yaz and Maurice and Alejandro again and hear their soothing chessic commentary.

Comment

I have not been following recent developments... We are hoping to restart mid-September...is that realistic?

Comment

Not in Canada - very few are opening up. We are being cautious here.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            I have not been following recent developments... We are hoping to restart mid-September...is that realistic?
            In Alberta we reopened late June, early July. It might be too soon as there seems to be a resurgence, although, I have not heard of any chess players getting sick.

Comment

Rd 3 Shak - Le Quang Strange game where after mistakes on both sides the Shak castles right into Le Quang Liem's mating attack. Qe3 by Black and it all leads to checkmate. A miniature by LeQuang! and he's back in it (after losing to Caruana in rd 2).
              Caruana beats Xiong easily (bad opening by Xiong) and leads after 3 with 2.5.
              Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 11th August, 2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

After the first day Caruana and Dominguez are tied for the lead at 2.5. Wesley So and Nakamura are half a point back at 2. Its a very competitive field.

Comment

Shaping up to be another epic finish!

Comment

https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2021...aruana_Fabiano Sam Shankland advances his E and F pawns step by step and creates an artistic grandmasterpiece! Definitely best game of rd4. (of course Caruana gets knocked out of first!)
                    I expected Jeffrey Xiong to score as well but he misstepped on b7 three times.
                    Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 12th August, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Rd 5 Sam Shankland is in the groove and takes out the Shak! https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2021...-Shankland_Sam Look at those pointy B B's! (sharp bishops for Black)
                      A lot of leap frogging going on. Caruana beat the leader Dominguez so he is back in first. Speaking of So he is tied for second with Shankland, Nakamura, and Dominguez a half point back. Stay tuned, anything can happen.
                      Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 12th August, 2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Rd 6 Caruana extends his lead after a rare blunder by Wesley So.
                        https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2021...rov_Shakhriyar As Larsen said when a rook dies on a2 something has gone horribly wrong. Shak's Qg6 is a move you play in your dreams. The final position is spectacular.

Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 12th August, 2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

GM Hikaru for the win!!!

Comment

Rd 7 Caruana - Rapport went from +4 to -100 in 3 moves! Been a long time since I've seen that happen.
                            Nakamura - Dominguez and Le Quang Liem - Xiong were opening debacles.

Comment

Rd 8 Rapport is on fire having beaten Caruana and Xiong in a row and tied for first with Caruana.
                              Dominguez has lost 4 in a row and has gone from first to half a point from last place.

Comment

Working...
                              X