Name:	Blind expression.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	215012Click image for larger version

Name:	Blindfold at Blooms.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	215013

Had a most enjoyable afternoon with Anne at Edwards Gardens, the Bloom Cafe, at Toronto Botanical Gardens,( Leslie and Lawrence) With everyone I met I offered to play blindfold, casual, or speed. I played Jason first blindfold. He's an up and comer and he managed 22 moves on his first try. There was a speed tournament happening which I chose not to take part in and players that had byes played me casual or speed (Frank and Pablo from Peru) Best to come was Mike and he chose to play blindfold. I had to drag the details out of him but the reward was finding out that he had played me over 20 years ago in an 8 board blindfold exhibition at Chess Academy of Canada. Roman Pelts told him afterward that he had missed a win and he had then learned to play blindfold himself to the point that he was giving exhibitions at parties. Miike kept up his blindfold skills over the years but told me he played blindfold at about 1600. (he's much stronger) In the game as White he attacked me mercilessly (after I castled queenside into his attack) and it led to a checkmating opportunity in which he failed to find the proper sequence. After the game we set up the board and worked it out in analysis.
    Interesting chats with Erik, Harry who has played much chess in Victoria Park in Kitchener but who now lives in Toronto, and with the organizer Elfinka. Elfinka is doing a wonderful job in organizing Chess in the Parks and she rotates events around all the many locations of outdoor chess tables in the Toronto area
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Monday, 23rd August, 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks Hans!

When you play over the board do you do very much of your calculation in your mind rather than with your eyes? I recall watching Shirov play in North Bay, and he generally only used the board to find out what move his opponent made and then stared off into space for much of his calculation. In his game against Nick he started using his eyes only when Nick was close to winning, and I also recall that when he was playing Alex he was staring off into space in front of a window nowehere near the board when a key move came to him, then he quickly walked back to the board and played the move immediately without any visual comfirmation.

Comment

What a coincidence!!!!

For many years Wesley So's father has worked at this location...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
          What a coincidence!!!!

For many years Wesley So's father has worked at this location...
          If I knew who he was I would go and say hello. I really admire his son (and not just for his chess ability)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            Thanks Hans!

When you play over the board do you do very much of your calculation in your mind rather than with your eyes? I recall watching Shirov play in North Bay, and he generally only used the board to find out what move his opponent made and then stared off into space for much of his calculation. In his game against Nick he started using his eyes only when Nick was close to winning, and I also recall that when he was playing Alex he was staring off into space in front of a window nowehere near the board when a key move came to him, then he quickly walked back to the board and played the move immediately without any visual comfirmation.
            I used to but not anymore. Friends used to say you spend too much time wandering around away from the board and I said no - thats when I do my best thinking.

Comment

Regarding the afternoon at Edwards garden some went for a tour of the garden, some were gungho about speed chess. All I wanted to do was play blindfold chess and have interesting conversations. Why was that? Its still a passion after all these years and I was blessed to find Jason and Mike to rise to the challenge and I think they enjoyed themselves. And its wonderful that Anne supports me and was thrilled to play her first full game of chess.

Comment

Working...
              X