Despite COVID...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite COVID...

The CFC saw a small loss of around $13,000 in their last fiscal year but more than made up for it with the Chess Foundation under the leadership of Paul Leblanc. The Foundation invests in the stock market and the value increased from around $334,000 to around $410,000 over the last year. Ahh, I wish I had someone like Paul on the CMA board :) Essentially Chess Foundation money belongs to the CFC.

Chess'n Math (CMA) also did well during the pandemic. However, we have structural issues with the south side of our headquarters in Montreal, which risks costing a large sum in the next fiscal year.

The FQE is also doing well financially with the Quebec Government stepping up to the plate.

So while we are not enjoying in person events, the major chess organizations in Canada are on solid ground financially.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Tuesday, 24th August, 2021, 06:55 PM.

Thanks for letting us know Larry. What happens when you retire?

Comment

Hi Hans,

Good question!

I turn 68 shortly. I turned pro (my definition is: when chess became my main source of income) in 1978. So I have been doing this for the last 43 years...incredible huh? Mind you, I think you have been doing this for a long time too...care to share?

Actually I am pretty healthy and while the work has changed over the years I still enjoy the challenge...so I don't intend to retire anytime soon :).

So to get to your question...I hope to eventually leave the organization that I created in good hands and that it continues to make a difference in the lives of Canadian youngsters for decades to come!

You know, one of my great pleasures is when a youngster from our program comes back as an adult with his kid...and registers his kid in our program...that says everything...and often they take the time to share their experience with me...there is no greater feeling of having done something worthwhile.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        The CFC saw a small loss of around $13,000 in their last fiscal year but more than made up for it with the Chess Foundation under the leadership of Paul Leblanc. The Foundation invests in the stock market and the value increased from around $334,000 to around $410,000 over the last year. Ahh, I wish I had someone like Paul on the CMA board :) Essentially Chess Foundation money belongs to the CFC.

Chess'n Math (CMA) also did well during the pandemic. However, we have structural issues with the south side of our headquarters in Montreal, which risks costing a large sum in the next fiscal year.

The FQE is also doing well financially with the Quebec Government stepping up to the plate.

So while we are not enjoying in person events, the major chess organizations in Canada are on solid ground financially.

Larry
        Yes, great job by Paul. The loss of only $13,000 was helped by a $10,000 donation to the Kalev Pugi fund by I believe one of his sons.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hi Hans,

Good question!

I turn 68 shortly. I turned pro (my definition is: when chess became my main source of income) in 1978. So I have been doing this for the last 43 years...incredible huh? Mind you, I think you have been doing this for a long time too...care to share?

Actually I am pretty healthy and while the work has changed over the years I still enjoy the challenge...so I don't intend to retire anytime soon :).

So to get to your question...I hope to eventually leave the organization that I created in good hands and that it continues to make a difference in the lives of Canadian youngsters for decades to come!

You know, one of my great pleasures is when a youngster from our program comes back as an adult with his kid...and registers his kid in our program...that says everything...and often they take the time to share their experience with me...there is no greater feeling of having done something worthwhile.

Larry
          43 years! - you need to go for 50. I will be celebrating 50 years of tournament play next year - and everybody in the chess community will be invited to join the celebration.
          But to the point I started as "pro" in 1989 - though only part time as I was at Canada Post until 1994. - until end of 2017 - so a modest 28 years.
          I currently work at Waterloo Library and in their strategic plan they are purchasing outdoor chess tables - so in summer of 2023 I will be back doing what I love coordinating chess at those tables.

re: one of my great pleasures - I know that feeling well - I have taught two generations - maybe I will someday teach 3 generations.
          When the University of Waterloo wanted to form a link with the KW chess club I told them to show up with all interested - among the large group were six of my former students!
          Its amazing how connections keep coming back.

Comment

Hi Hans:

I played my first rated tournament game in the university chess club at Western University (Then University of Western Ontario) in, I believe, September, 1965. Sept. 2021 will make it 56 years of tournament play.

It is one of the nicest things to happen to me, that out of the blue, I decided to join the university chess club (When the bridge club was the natural) in first year.

I was addicted, never looked back, and when OTB returns, I hope I'll go on for another 56!!!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Hans:

I played my first rated tournament game in the university chess club at Western University (Then University of Western Ontario) in, I believe, September, 1965. Sept. 2021 will make it 56 years of tournament play.

It is one of the nicest things to happen to me, that out of the blue, I decided to join the university chess club (When the bridge club was the natural) in first year.

I was addicted, never looked back, and when OTB returns, I hope I'll go on for another 56!!!

Bob
              Bob, I assume that you're the player who has have played the most CFC games in the past 50 years. Do you have a total score of your number of wins, draws, and losses?

Comment

Hi Hans:

Bob
                Bob I hope you do another 56 too, Id like to see that (great attitude) but Im wondering do you have a super health plan?

Comment

Hi Erik:

No historical record of total games........but one year I was the CFC member with the most rated games that one year (Maybe 2007??), and the next year I think I was 4th (2008??).

Somewhere in the back of my closet, I may have a few binders with my earliest tournament games though (In descriptive notation). I'm not at all sure what is there, I haven't had them out for so long.

Bob

Comment

Hi Erik:

.... I'm not at all sure what is there, I haven't had them out for so long.

Bob
                    Bob, if you ever have trouble falling asleep at night, play over our game from the 2001 Ontario Open. :)
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Peter:

Don't remember my games very well..........would I be horrified at my positions? I'm not sure even what my rating may have been 20 years ago (Though I think I did do a tracking chart once, maybe including that period). What was the result?

Bob

Comment

Hi again Peter:

You spurred me on to do some digging.......because I had a good idea where one folder was, and that it was accessible. So I have some rating information, for those with any historical interest.

In 2001 (Peter and my game), I played in 28 tournaments. My average rating for the year, based on the rating at the end of each tournament, was 1831. This was actually my best year ever, and in it I hit my peak rating of 1911.

The year prior (2000), my average rating for the year was 1793.

Then I went brain-dead in the year after (2002)........my average rating for the year plummeted to 1699. Maybe this shows that 2001 should never have happened??

Anyway, at least I played Peter in my peak year!

Bob
                        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 25th August, 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

Bob, I assume that you're the player who has have played the most CFC games in the past 50 years. Do you have a total score of your number of wins, draws, and losses?
                          I would think that would have been Doug Burgess. His record of games is legendary. Anyone in Ottawa remember how many games?

Comment

Serge Lacroix played 4,442 FQE-rated games. A good number of those were CFC-rated - but mostly before the start of the CFC stats around 1996.

Comment

Working...
                            X