Alberta Chess Association passes a new COVID-19 Policy at Emergency Covid-19 Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta Chess Association passes a new COVID-19 Policy at Emergency Covid-19 Meeting

At our August 29th meeting, the ACA, which I am the Secretary, passed a motion to adopt a COVID-19 policy till the end of the year. There was a great deal of debate and amendments to the policy, but I think we did the right thing. Many protocols are optional and encouraged but a few are mandatory at any ACA event. Anyone wishing to view it, can see it here.
    http://www.albertachess.org/wp-conte...9-Policies.pdf At the time the meeting was called, the number of new COVID cases in Alberta was over 1000 a day and rising. The Alberta Government lifted all COVID regulations at the start of July, so I believe the ACA did the responsible thing and adopted these protocols. I am sure many will disagree. We will continue to hold over the board tournaments in Alberta, although some are being cancelled.

It should be noted that these policies will be in effect at the 2021 Banff Open. This will be announced in many places, but any participants, feel free to email me to ask questions. Most of the policies are common sense and do not impose on anyone's privacy.

I think your Protocols are well thought out and all Provincial associations should set these high standards to allow players to play. Not using Protocols is a road to Covid disasters.

Comment

Good stuff Ian, congrats ACA! Fair & balanced approach in these challenging COVID-19 times.

Elbow bump instead of handshake for now ;)

Comment

Three things I've noticed working in a Covid safety zone:

1. No touching of common things like handles on water jugs or coffee urns so a volunteer is sitting there to pour everyone's drinks, or pick up cookies/cup cakes. No sharing of pens to write results on the pairing sheet.
        2. Somebody assigned to regularly wipe down doorknobs and faucets in bathrooms
        3. A nearby area where one person at a time can stand or sit unmasked, perhaps to eat or drink (or smoke).

Comment

Working...
        X