Olympiad-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    If only Nikolay would get the GM title then we would have all ten GMs on the top ten list. My how times have changed.
    He is certainly strong enough. I am not sure he still has the ambition to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      If only Nikolay would get the GM title then we would have all ten GMs on the top ten list. My how times have changed.
      Including 3 recently inactive GMs (A.Kovalyov, M.Bluvshtein, P.Charbonneau) Canada has 12 GMs on the top-13 list.

About Nikolay - I think, he needs just 6-8 norm opportunities in Europe. With his level it should be about 25-30% chances to show 2600 performance. He still needs 2 GM norms.

Comment

Unofficial official Team Canada t-shirt...

Click image for larger version

Name:	teamCanadatee.gif
Views:	132
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	218627

Comment

Let's talk about the power of suggestion.

Comment

1. whatever ...

Comment

Unofficial official Team Canada t-shirt...

Click image for larger version

Name:	teamCanadatee.gif
Views:	128
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	218632

Comment

Elevate our game.

Comment

Elevate Canada.

Comment

I can't decide if coffee or chocolate is my favourite word that begins with the letter 'C.'

Comment

The FIDE Council has approved on its meeting today, March 15 2022, the bid presented by the All India Chess Federation (AICF) to host the 2022 Chess Olympiad in Chennai, the capital of the Tamil Nadu state.

The exact schedule is still being discussed and will be announced in the coming days, but the event will take place between the end of July and the beginning of August, not very far off from the dates originally planned. The venue will be the convention centre at the Four Points by Sheraton, located in the Mahabalipuram area, one of the main touristic destinations in southern India.

Comment

The average temperature is around +36 in August...

Comment

So chess, curry, beer and healthy sweat should be on the menu.

Comment

Menu - it's another problem. I remember my trip to India with my family at Dec 2018. I ate only plain chicken and plain rice. Bottled water (mostly from Canada). Nothing else. Absolutely no fruits and vegetables.

Comment

Medals are more likely now. No Russia, no Belarus.

Taking into account the current recommendations of the IOC, the FIDE Council suspends the national teams of Russia and Belarus from participation in official FIDE tournaments until further notice. In the individual tournaments of the FIDE World Championship cycle, players from these countries will be able to participate under the FIDE flag.

Comment

Victor, thanks so much for your informative posts on the 2022 Chess Olympiad!

I am happy to see India step up, to do its best to resolve a very serious crisis.

As someone who has lived for several years in a Global South country, and done a lot of travelling around the world, I am offering these respectful suggestions, for Team Canada's mission to India for the 2022 Chess Olympiad.
                                1) As soon as possible, get in touch with Global Affairs Canada, and the Canadian High Commission in India, for important information and ideas on local conditions;
                                2) Ascertain, as soon as possible, among possible team members, information on potential cancellations, due to the event being in India;
                                3) Take all possible health-related measures, in view of the serious COVID-19 situation in India, and the unreliability of Indian source data on COVID (actual deaths reportedly seven times higher than Indian government figures).

I fear for team members' health during the event. The CFC needs to obtain the most reliable health information from the Indian organizers. Don't be satisfied with simple statements; ask plenty of questions!!

Specifically, the CFC could contact Dr. Dilip Panjwani, medical doctor, who was born, raised, and educated in India. Dr. Panjwani, father of strong IM Raja Panjwani, has been a significant leader for Canadian chess in the past. Perhaps he could even accompany the team to India this time, as part of the mission. He has served with Canadian teams to the World Youth Championships in previous years.

Best wishes, good luck, and good skill for the Canadian mission to India, 2022!!

Frank Dixon
                                NTD, Kingston

Comment

Working...
                                X