Titans of Chess Clash Again......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titans of Chess Clash Again......

Article in Toronto Star today,pageA3 about forthcoming match between the two K,s.

Re: Titans of Chess Clash Again......

Note that the Tiger of Madras is none other than Peter Lecko!!!!!

Comment

I laughed when I read the bit about Judit Polgar. Who exactly DOESN'T call her the best female player ever?
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
        Article in Toronto Star today,pageA3 about forthcoming match between the two K,s.
        Page A3? What is that

e-version: http://thestar.com/news/world/article/699012

Comment

Again go to page A3 to see FULL article.....

Comment

Chessbase.de report (you need almost no German knowledge as it consists of photos) http://chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=9559
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 22nd September, 2009, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like Karpov may have blundered early in Game 1 for an easy win by Kasparov... [edited to point out that there are reports that Karpov may have simply lost on time...]

I hope this doesn't become a blowout (for either side) since the non-chess media would have a field day with that.
              Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 22nd September, 2009, 04:49 PM. Reason: conflicting reports
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                I hope this doesn't become a blowout (for either side) since the non-chess media would have a field day with that.
                Two-zero at the end of day one. Apparently Karpov lost on time in the first, and in the second Kasparov played a sharp knight sack to expose the K and Karpov resigned after a few more moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  It may very well be a blowout because there is now a full class (200 points) between these two players. At only 46 and training with Magnus, Kasparov must still be quite near his peak which is certainly not the case with the 58 years old Karpov.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    It may very well be a blowout because there is now a full class (200 points) between these two players. At only 46 and training with Magnus, Kasparov must still be quite near his peak which is certainly not the case with the 58 years old Karpov.
                    A very long match between Karpov and Kasparov was halted. Kasparov was losing, but there were many draws and he was catching up. The match was halted for Karpov's health before Kasparov could win the match. After this Karpov never defeated Kasparov in a match. Kasparov owned him!

There is no reason to suspect Karpov ever had any chance of defeating Kasparov in this match.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      After this Karpov never defeated Kasparov in a match.
                      Not true: Karpov won (+1-0=3) in 2002.

Comment

Karpov just won game 3

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          Not true: Karpov won (+1-0=3) in 2002.
                          Were the time controls "rapid" in that exhibition match? Played over 2 days.

I knew someone would take that as a serious indicator of the great strength of Karpov and how he had overcome the effects of the losses in the World Championship matches he played with Kasparov.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Were the time controls "rapid" in that exhibition match? Played over 2 days.

I knew someone would take that as a serious indicator of the great strength of Karpov and how he had overcome the effects of the losses in the World Championship matches he played with Kasparov.
                            I pointed your mistake. A match is the match.

Nevertheless you made a wonderfull conclusion:
                            "There is no reason to suspect Karpov ever had any chance of defeating Kasparov in this match."

Base on your facts, the same was valid 7 years ago. But Karpov still bites.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              I pointed your mistake. A match is the match.

Nevertheless you made a wonderfull conclusion:
                              "There is no reason to suspect Karpov ever had any chance of defeating Kasparov in this match."

Base on your facts, the same was valid 7 years ago. But Karpov still bites.
                              Egidijus, there is a difference between "bites" and "sucks".

I have no idea how much money is being paid for this match or if a win by Karpov would bring a more lucrative rematch. However, the world championship is not at stake and we know how those matches turned out.

The current match is nostalgia and has the same appeal as professional wrestling. This is not to belittle the match between two old men. My wife and I used to enjoy going to the wrestling matches and being entertained. At the end of the day, unless there was a problem with timing, nobody got hurt in the matches. Simply entertainment and positive advertisement for chess. A full page 3 layout in the Toronto Star is not to be sneezed at.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X