• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to argue against a world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      Hard to argue against a world champion.
      I guess it's a philosophical question. Yes, she won a world championship. However, in pure chess terms, the event wasn't especially strong. She played 4 players above 2000 in this event and scored +1 -0 =3 and had a performance rating of 2169. http://chess-results.com/tnr144249.a...&flag=30&snr=4

Overcoming the pressure involved and prestige of it definitely carry big weight; winning it was a great accomplishment by someone who went on to be a very strong player and an important person in Canadian chess. I would personally give titles in restricted events with weaker fields less importance than others might in how I'd vote for the Player of the Year. Lest I be accused of sexism, I'd note that for me, the same points apply for Cummings win as well.

I'd argue board 1 at the Olympiad carries just as much pressure, and the combination of the pure chess strength of it as well as the supporting results made it clear to me.

Comment

It's great getting a few differing opinions on the award.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I'd note that for me, the same points apply for Cummings win as well.
          Yep, exactly. Split the award.

Two world champs in the same year for Canadian chess players ... you kiddin' me?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Yep, exactly. Split the award.

Two world champs in the same year for Canadian chess players ... you kiddin' me?
            Just Qiyu Zhou. David Cummings won the Pan-Am.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Just Qiyu Zhou. David Cummings won the Pan-Am.
              Oh OK, I'm voting for Qiyu Zhou then.

How do you get to play on Board 1 at the Olympiad anyways. Is that a captain's decision?

Comment

Oh OK, I'm voting for Qiyu Zhou then.

How do you get to play on Board 1 at the Olympiad anyways. Is that a captain's decision?
                Yes, the Captain chooses the board order.

Comment

2014 Finalists

GM Anton Kovalyov
                  GM Bator Sambuev
                  WFM Qiyu Zhou

We'll announce the winner and final voting totals in a few days. Comments and opinions are still welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I guess it's a philosophical question. Yes, she won a world championship. However, in pure chess terms, the event wasn't especially strong. She played 4 players above 2000 in this event and scored +1 -0 =3 and had a performance rating of 2169. http://chess-results.com/tnr144249.aspx?lan=1&art=9&fed=CAN&turdet=YES&flag=30&snr=betpokies

Overcoming the pressure involved and prestige of it definitely carry big weight; winning it was a great accomplishment by someone who went on to be a very strong player and an important person in Canadian chess. I would personally give titles in restricted events with weaker fields less importance than others might in how I'd vote for the Player of the Year. Lest I be accused of sexism, I'd note that for me, the same points apply for Cummings win as well.

I'd argue board 1 at the Olympiad carries just as much pressure, and the combination of the pure chess strength of it as well as the supporting results made it clear to me.
                    Clearly, every championship is strong in its own way. Winning a less powerful championship is not as desirable as winning a stronger one. But a win is a win, we're proud of our heroes :)
                    Last edited by Jack G; Friday, 4th February, 2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

2014 Canadian Chess Player of the Year is GM Anton Kovalyov. A plaque will be awarded to Anton sometime this year.

Final Voting (10-7-5-3-2)

1. Anton Kovalyov - 41
                      2. Qiyu Zhou - 33
                      3. Bator Sambuev - 20
                      4. Eric Hansen - 16
                      5. Razvan Preotu - 13
                      6. Yuanling Yuan - 10
                      7. Nikolay Noritsyn - 2

Members of the Player of the Year Committee are Larry Bevand, Ian Findlay, Hans Jung, Fred McKim, and John Upper

We will be moving on to a list of 10 players for consideration for 2015 very shortly.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                        2014 Canadian Chess Player of the Year is GM Anton Kovalyov. A plaque will be awarded to Anton sometime this year.

Final Voting (10-7-5-3-2)

1. Anton Kovalyov - 41
                        2. Qiyu Zhou - 33
                        3. Bator Sambuev - 20
                        4. Eric Hansen - 16
                        5. Razvan Preotu - 13
                        6. Yuanling Yuan - 10
                        7. Nikolay Noritsyn - 2

Members of the Player of the Year Committee are Larry Bevand, Ian Findlay, Hans Jung, Fred McKim, and John Upper

We will be moving on to a list of 10 players for consideration for 2015 very shortly.

Fred
                        Perfectly inline with your beloved FIDE ... 2022 the Year of the Woman in Chess.

https://www.fide.com/news/1522

Chess Federation of Canada drops the ball once again ...sigh.

Disappointing, as usual.

Comment

Perfectly inline with your beloved FIDE ... 2022 the Year of the Woman in Chess.

Disappointing, as usual.
                          You're in the wrong thread. This is for 2014, not 2022.

Comment

Disappointing, as usual.
                            Many chess volunteers in Canada wear several hats. As a Director of the Chess Federation of Canada, I'd like to state again, that the Player of the Year Committee (which I'm also a member of) is independent and receives no direction from the CFC, CMA or other Chess organization. In a year's time when we vote on the 2022 Player of the Year, it's possible that your point will play a part in the process.

Comment

Should there be a category for Builder as well as one for Player? Other sports do this. There have been any number of wonderful Builders, those who did not distinguish themselves by their play, but by their volunteering of large amounts of important time and a selfless dedication to chess. Persons such as Phil Haley, David Cohen and many, many others who may or may not be still with us today.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                                Should there be a category for Builder as well as one for Player? Other sports do this. There have been any number of wonderful Builders, those who did not distinguish themselves by their play, but by their volunteering of large amounts of important time and a selfless dedication to chess. Persons such as Phil Haley, David Cohen and many, many others who may or may not be still with us today.
                                Hi Brad

Builders and players, both, can be honoured in the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame. See my other thread from earlier today.

Comment

Working...
                                X