• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe & Mail Cecil Rosner column Dec 17 2021

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...but-also-some/

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Kerry, nice link, thanks! Just one minor point: when posting a link, give us a clue what it is all about. If Hans hadn't commented, I wouldn't have gone to the link.

Now, this is interesting. Bareev expresses regrets about pursuing a life dedicated to chess.... yet he is teaching chess to others, as if to say to them, chess is worthwhile to study. But is it worthwhile if there is a chance you can pursue much more lucrative avenues rather than chess and achieve better success?

What makes it even more interesting is that top level chess players are recruited for financial careers, Mark Bluvshtein being a prime example. Bareev could possibly pursue that, but instead he is teaching chess.

Comment

Pargat, do you have no regrets in your life? Last week you insulted master Zeromskis and now Canada's top player. Grandmaster Bareev achieved great success at chess being the World Junior Champion.and winning top tournaments. Bluvshtein switched from chess to a financial career at age 23. Did Bareev, when in his twenties, have an option for a financial career in Russia in the 1980s?? Bareev came to Canada at age 50. He is making money teaching chess, better than the majority of immigrants working in a factory or fast food restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Hey Kerry, nice link, thanks! Just one minor point: when posting a link, give us a clue what it is all about. If Hans hadn't commented, I wouldn't have gone to the link.

Did you see the subject line? Globe & Mail Cecil Rosner column Dec 17 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Pargat, do you have no regrets in your life? Last week you insulted master Zeromskis and now Canada's top player. Grandmaster Bareev achieved great success at chess being the World Junior Champion.and winning top tournaments. Bluvshtein switched from chess to a financial career at age 23. Did Bareev, when in his twenties, have an option for a financial career in Russia in the 1980s?? Bareev came to Canada at age 50. He is making money teaching chess, better than the majority of immigrants working in a factory or fast food restaurant.
            In the article, Bareev HIMSELF expresses regrets about pursuing a career in chess. So i did not insult him at all.

As to whether or not he had other opportunities in his 20s, I would most certainly think so.

Zeromskis implied that we should take competing in chess to be as simple as running a race. I merely pointed that out and stated it is an invalid comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Did you see the subject line? Globe & Mail Cecil Rosner column Dec 17 2021
              Weren't you the one just last week who noted the "thin skins" of everyone here? :)

Merely a mention of what the column was about, what is the big deal? Are we all supposed to know Cecil Rosner, you mentioned him. More of us would know who GM Bareev is, don't you think?

Comment

OK, point taken. The announcement that Cecil Rosner has been granted chess column space in the Globe & Mail was prominent here on CT over the last week (or 2 ?).
                I have never met Cecil Rosner so I should not presume he is well known here at CT. I simply thought the subject line was sufficient - clearly I was mistaken.

Comment

OK, point taken. The announcement that Cecil Rosner has been granted chess column space in the Globe & Mail was prominent here on CT over the last week (or 2 ?).
                  I have never met Cecil Rosner so I should not presume he is well known here at CT. I simply thought the subject line was sufficient - clearly I was mistaken.
                  That was fine.

Comment

When I read this, Kerry, I was a little upset at MYSELF.... for even bringing this up. It's a good example of no good deed goes unpunished. I did say thanks for the link... but still.....

I hope you can understand when I explain it this way: we all have learned that when we check our email and see something from someone we know and trust, if it contains a link to a web site and there is no explanation or text to even verify that this really is our trusted friend sending the link, we should NOT click the link.

And if emails can be hacked and misrepresented, so can CT posts. So all I am asking, of you and anyone else here, is that if you post a link, put some text there, some comment or explanation, to let us all know it really is you posting it. Just putting a link all by itself, even with some subject line, should be taken by us all as a red flag.

That's all I really meant, I sure didn't mean to single you out or imply anything about you personally. I think you are very computer-savvy and can understand this.

Comment

I think the idea of posting some context with a link is a good point and I will try to remember to do so even in cases where I think it is self-explanatory.
                      Have a Merry Christmas - if that is possible in this age of Covid...

Comment

Have a Merry Christmas Kerry it certainly is possible. I have a new grandson so it will happen for me.

Comment

Here's a dumb question but I do need an answer. I went searching for Cecil's column in the print version of the Globe and Mail but couldnt find it. What page and section is it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                            Here's a dumb question but I do need an answer. I went searching for Cecil's column in the print version of the Globe and Mail but couldnt find it. What page and section is it in?
                            Sudoku page? Maybe it is just an online version.

Comment

Thanks for the update on what Mark Bluvshtein is doing. He's a great guy. In the column is a telling quote: He loves chess and looks at it every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X