Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offtopic - Need advice from other parents of 10 yr olds

Happy holidays everyone!!!

Lately my kid has been struggling with her homework, math topics specially, I tried to help her but unfortunately I normally don’t have much free time given that I’m a single parent, and shamefully even if I had free time I’m afraid I never was good in math. After school she spends most of the afternoons with her grandma (while I’m at work) and she isn’t that good at math either, so not much help there sadly.

I’ve been looking for resources online or anywhere that can help me out here, cover those math topics and cover that time while I’m at work. I have always seen ads of Khan Academy, and recently I signed her up to a site called StudyPug because the logo of the website is a dog (a pug), and she’s the dog lover type hehe, she’s been doing good so far but I don’t know if I’m missing something better. I’ve heard other parents online mention something called Kumon, but I couldn't find anything near here (might be bc we live in a small town).

Sorry for rambling, any suggestions you guys can share will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kumon is a paid tutoring franchise company.

The best thing you can do is make sure that your teacher is clear on what needs to be learned; there is essentially infinity resources available on youtube to teach mathematical concepts (I had to rewatch a few to remember how to factor quadratic equations to help my son). Kids today are really attuned to watching and learning from online resources so I'd just suggest asking your teacher (or checking the homework/lesson plans online), seeing the subject, then watching explanatory videos there. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I've been checking in YouTube and there are quite a good amount of channels that dedicate to math tutorials.... I had no idea. And yeah, I better have a chat with her teacher to have a clearer picture of the situation.

Comment

Working...
      X