Clock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock question

For those of you familiar (or not familiar) with the Chronos digital clock, here is a question.

After selecting the time control and setting up the hours, minutes, seconds, and number of moves (if necessary) there are a series of options which can be turned on or off. They include:

1) Beep on or off (every move).
    2) LED's continually on for the player on move (or off completely).
    3) LED's give a single flash after a move is made (yes or no).

Now for the controversial ones:

4) Beep at end (several beeps sound when one side's time runs out). Not a good idea.
    5) Halt at end (time "locks" when one side's time reaches zero).

The advantage with (5) is that you know who lost on time - even if the opponent doesn't look at the clock for a few moves.

The disadvantage is that the clock is telling who won/lost - not the player.

What do readers think about (5)? It would certainly eliminate a lot of arguments (especially in blitz games - if all clocks have this feature).

Chronos Users Guide (not the most recent one): http://www.chronosdealer.com/pdfs/ChronosManual.pdf

Re: Clock question

I like the features although I don't really like beeps... perhaps if they found a more subtle sound (kinda like the quiet but noticeable sound of a flag falling).

I'm not sure what the current FIDE rules are on the subject (they seem to change a lot so I only brush up when I'm going to be TDing) but given that a TD is allowed or perhaps even required to intervene when someone runs out of time, I don't see what the problem is with the clock doing so as well.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I believe features 4) and 5) are against the blitz rules. "Nobody", including the spectators, the arbiter, and inaminate clocks is allowed to point out a flag fall (and thus finding out both flags are down and it's a draw is a 'normal' occurance in blitz)

Comment

I think the original Saitek clocks did this (both sides stopped when one time ran out) - so their use was discouraged (or banned) from local blitz tournaments.

Comment

Features four and five and tomfoolerous. As Hugh said, black Saiteks have feature five. The next line of Saiteks, silver, has the second clock continue to run, but shows an alarm clock icon on the screen of the player who flagged. It's basically the best clock ever.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I still say the (metal-encased) Chronos clock outperforms all other digital clocks - especially in a "casual" chess environment - in which clocks are banged continually, fall on the floor, have beer and/or coffee spilt on them, etc.
            Mine (2-3 years old) has had all of the above happen to it at various times, and as the old Timex commercial said (after a watch was tossed into a lake and fished out):

"The watch took a licking, and came back ticking".

Our local chess cafe has had several of them for a couple of years (renting them out at $2 a pop), and nothing ever goes wrong with them (and they have paid for themselves several times over).

Comment

my Chronos button came off once - just put it back on (no problems later) but still... One might argue that the touch sensitive ones are better.

The Saiteks that ben likes so much tend to have a problem where pressing the button may not start your clock. They also only have one user memory which is annoying - and some time controls cannot be implemented.

Comment

Working...
              X