GM Gabor Kallai RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Gabor Kallai RIP

https://en.chessbase.com/post/rememb...-december-2021 GM Gabor Kallai recently passed away. He was a coach of Susan Polgar, Sam Sevian and Jeffery Xiong.

GM Kallai was also President of the MTK chess club(my club) but I am not sure of the exact title he had. He was also senior coach for the club which used to give in person training Friday evenings. We had two other coaches giving training on Monday and Wednesdays with rough division by playing level. All training was free to club members, but unfortunately only in Hungarian. I used to talk to Kallai at our Xmas and season ending blitz tournaments and little parties which were great for building team camaraderie. I was quite sad as were the same age so I am quite conscious not to waste any study days as lost time never gets recovered. I used to go the the training to try and learn some Hungarian but it was too fast(the language) and could not keep up after a long day of my own training. Sadly once I sat in the front row and just fell asleep, and after I was woken up by him (politely) I was too embarrassed to ever attend training again. Now the virus situation has seriously reduced the number of tournaments(except the RRs) and the normal January Perenyi Memorial has been cancelled. In person team Ch play has resumed though. Any I have more time to keep my face in a book and learn something. I did manage to reach elo 2007 earlier last year but since dropped down a bit. Now the task is again the same, keep working at reaching 2000 which is not as easy as it sounds

Comment

Thanks for the insights Michael. I feel better now with my slowly declining rating. (I mean you are known as a hard worker on your chess and your rating aspirations are giving you trouble)

Comment

Working...
      X