Rookie activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie activity

Jonathan Kuminga is a young promising NBA rookie player on the Golden State Warriors team. (the team Raptors beat in the finals)
    Klay Thompson is a 3x NBA champion, who came back after ~900 days of healing his injuries (one of the injuries got during that finals). He is also known as an avid chess player.

In one of the recent post-game (?) interviews, J.Kuminga brought a chess & checkers box. The journalist asked if he play chess or checkers

“I don’t play neither of those games. I just gotta do my rookie duty and carry it for Klay.”

video at https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment..._box_of_chess/

Thats good rookie duty. He will go far.

Comment

Another good reason to root for GSW. Actually, I was always rooting for Curry/Thompson except for 3-years period with Durant.

Comment

Here's an article about Joe Burrow which mentions chess....

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati...er-this-season

Comment

The Warriors have had amazing team chemistry. I read a book about their dynasty: "Golden Days", by Jack McCallum. He connected it to the Lakers of Jerry West in the early 60s-early 70s, as West starred with the Lakers then, setting the record with a 69-13 season, broken by the Warriors. West had been instrumental in putting the Warriors' dynasty together. And of course both the Lakers and Warriors are from California, the 'Golden' state!! The book uses the author's inside access, and is written respectfully; highly recommended. Best basketball book I have ever read.
          I was as admiring of the Warriors with and without Kevin Durant, who is one of the all-time greatest players. When he is on, the guy is just ridiculous.
          The Warriors could win it this year, now that they have Klay Thompson back; he is one of my favorite players; the fact that he plays chess makes it even better!
          It was very sweet to see the Raptors defeat GSW in 2019; there were injuries, to be sure, and I am not sure the Raptors would have defeated a completely healthy GSW then. But you play with the guys you've got at the time! Pretty good book as well: "We The North" by Toronto Star basketball writer Doug Smith, although he does manage to completely omit from the book one of my Raptor favorites -- Jonas Valanciunas. He has been one of the most significant players in team history, and for every home game bought tickets for young people from the Lithuanian community. He was unfortunately traded in the Marc Gasol trade; I think the Raptors would have won anyway that season, without making that trade.
          But it was really bad to see the Raptors' president Masai Ujiri get into a needless scuffle with arena security in Oakland, right after winning the final game. I think that has been sorted out now.

Comment

If you like reading about basketball, this book is the best one I've read in decades:

"The Boys of Dunbar: A Story of Love, Hope, and Basketball" by Alejandro Danois
            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Thursday, 27th January, 2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Aris, I will have to check it out!

Comment

Let's leave it here though it is not related to the rookie but to the GSW veteran + Klay.

Klay Thompson on Draymond Green's new TNT deal: “He’s playing chess out there when everyone else is playing checkers.”

Comment

Working...
                X