Happy Birthday Boris Spassky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I played in the 1971 Labour Day Open. Seeing Spassky walking around - he passed by and looked down at my game for a second one round - was quite something.

My memory on the next thing is not clear..........I remember Donald Byrne, of the famous Fischer Game of the Century, I think, playing, as well as his brother Robert Byrne, the co-winner. Am I right that it was in this tournament? My recollection is that In a later round, I came in and checked the pairings sheet.........I couldn't believe it...... I was paired against Donald Byrne!! He had had a bad tournament.

I got to the adjournment!! Given who he was, and given I was down a pawn, I respectfully resigned, instead of sealing the move in the envelope, and dragging him back to finish the next morning.

Anyone got the full roster for this tournament.....am I right that this was when I played Donald?

Bob A
    Thanks for sharing! Even with you not being sure of everything, it nevertheless seems to be a wonderful set of memories for you, that's great!! It's awesome all these chess memories we have!

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Rosner View Post
      If you want to see Boris Spassky in action in Canada, I posted this documentary about the 1967 Winnipeg Centennial GM tournament. It includes footage and an interview with Spassky, Larsen, Yanofsky & much more. Narrated by Stanley Burke, former anchor of the National. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xg6R-Lvl0
      Fascinating. It was one of the last tournaments of that generation. Its interesting to see the black suits and string ties and everyone so awkwardly formal. (and young!) Gheorghiu looked boyish, even Abe Yanofsky looked much younger. In a couple of years the hair became much longer, there were multicoloured suits, bell bottoms, floral shirts etc. Thanks Cecil.

Comment

regarding CNE tournament - what a fantasticly strong tournament! Many of the strong tournament players of Canada and many grandmasters.

Comment

Thanks to Erik for such a detailed tournament summary, for the CNE Open 1971! Lots of names who became well known later on, to be sure!

This may have been the strongest weekend tournament ever held in Canada, in terms of internationally-titled players at the top of the chart.

And the size of the event is noteworthy as well, with 248 players; that may have been the largest non-scholastic event held in Canada to that point. When Kingston hosted the 1966 Canadian Open, the turnout was 116, the largest Canadian Open to that juncture. Then by 1974, the Canadian Open attracted over 600 players in Montreal. Chess was becoming much more popular as a participant activity.

Comment

Working...
          X