Judge Rules Nona Grapandashvilli's Lawsuit to Go Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Rules Nona Grapandashvilli's Lawsuit to Go Forward.

https://variety.com/t/nona-gaprindashvili/

Thanks, Sid, for the updates on this. I believe it is a very significant ruling, and I hope Nona wins her case.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Thanks, Sid, for the updates on this. I believe it is a very significant ruling, and I hope Nona wins her case.
      It might be a significant case, and I hope she gets an apology and a change to the show, but asking for $5M is blatantly ridiculous. She's basically a retired player, there is no way any real damage was done to her.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

It might be a significant case, and I hope she gets an apology and a change to the show, but asking for $5M is blatantly ridiculous. She's basically a retired player, there is no way any real damage was done to her.
        David I would hate to see you get sued by her. In 2019 she played over 30 games. I suspect Covid has slowed her down, but she was born in 1941. I have seen her a a couple of World Senior Team Championships. It is always great to see a Legend. I agree, her damages cannot be that great, but there is always punitive damages. In any event, I suspect if they apologize and pay her costs, that would be enough for her. Good for her for keeping the record straight.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          ... asking for $5M is blatantly ridiculous.
          Lawsuit is filed in a US court. You can get 10x that just for spilling hot coffee on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Parakin View Post

Lawsuit is filed in a US court. You can get 10x that just for spilling hot coffee on yourself.
            That certainly helps, especially if it is a jury trial. But the trial I know, she was awarded about $3M USD and she suffered 3rd degree burns.
            https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Comment

The point of the excessive $ claim is often to try to get a nuisance settlement of some kind with some kind of significant $$.

But if N0na feels very personally, and deeply, offended, then she may not settle, even when she should.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Don Parakin View Post

Yep! She should of have sued for 50 million! With all the amazing amount of research that went into even the details of that amazing production you'd think they would get it right when it came to researching Nona!

This judgment will also be about sending a message ...

Comment

Apparently the lawsuit has been settled:

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/nyet-netfl...014215281.html

Comment

It's an important case, and I am happy for Nona, even though the details won't be available. She likely got a small cash award, with her legal costs paid by Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                      It's an important case, and I am happy for Nona, even though the details won't be available. She likely got a small cash award, with her legal costs paid by Netflix.
                      Good for Nona. During the 2022 WSTC in Acqui Terme in Italy, the Canadian team stayed in the same hotel as Nona. We would see her three times a day for meals. She played well for Georgia in the over 50 division. She scored 3/5 vs 2136 opposition at the young age of 81! Quite remarkable.

Comment

Working...
                      X