Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Self-Governance

Why This Thread?

In another thread, Pargat Perrer raised a point tangential to the thread, and somewhat hijacked it. He and I felt it was an important enough issue to start a new independent thread, and thus highlight this issue.

The Question

Pargat: The question is: did the truckers have a legitimate argument that they should not be subject to vaccine mandates?

First Response - Brad Thomson

It depends upon where one draws the line. In Canada we want to give individuals as much freedom as possible, but the collective does have the right/obligation to protect itself from the individual. Thus murder, bank robbery and many other activities are deemed illegal. It is important to note that if everyone were free to murder, then no one would be free to not be murdered. Then there would be no collective rights at all, which would mean that there were also no individual rights at all. Thus freedom can only exist when it restricts itself, restrictions are the very essence and definition of freedom. And so again, the question is where to draw the line. The problem is that this is often a matter of opinion and debate. Everyone who is sane agrees that we should not be free to murder, only the insane would argue that we should be mandated by the state as to what to eat for dinner, or which hockey team to root for. Now, does the collective have the right/obligation to tell individuals that if they are not vaccinated they cannot work, or go into certain stores, gyms, theatres, restaurants and so forth? Once more, it depends upon where one draws the line. And again, reasonable people can disagree on this. So what do we do? We have two choices. We allow these decisions to be made by dictators, or we allow these decisions to be made by democratically elected representatives. Most of us prefer the latter. But what if we disagree with them? Simple, we legally protest and we vote them out of office come the next election. In the meantime, we should obey the laws and respect the decisions of our elected representatives, and we should expect to be stopped by law enforcement agencies if we do not. For if we do not comply with the decisions of legally elected representatives then we will risk descending at least into dictatorship, where we will lose many of our freedoms, or possibly into anarchy, where we will lose all of our freedoms completely. America is very close to this now, and Canada is not too far behind.

Pargat's Response to Brad

An excellent summary Brad, and it exposes the real weakness of democracy in the 21st century. It is TOO SLOW. It may have worked fine in 18th century, even in 19th century, but now in the 21st century things are happening so fast and furious that we need something better than voting every 4 or 5 years. Perhaps what we really need is for the registered voters to be able to vote on issues directly, as they come up. Do away with elected representatives altogether. It is truly pathetic to be voting a person into office, when no one really knows what that person will do once he or she gets there, because we don't know what biases that person operates under and whether that person will vote for or against when specific issues that come up.

Just as one example: what % of people who voted for Trudeau in the last election actually knew he would enact a vaccine mandate for truckers? The true number is probably in single digits.

This modern scheme would require extensive measures against voting fraud, but in this electronic age it is far from impossible.

We could call it Digital Democracy. Bob Armstrong, what do you think about that?

Bob's Response to Pargat

Democratic Marxism's Platform

We agree with Pargat about the problem of modern representative democracy. Every 4 years, we create an authoritarian government over ourselves. It then takes on a life of its own, and follows their own (Directed by the Oligarchs) agenda, not that of the elector. And the elector, to object, has to publicly demonstrate, hope for support from mainstream media, owned by Oligarchs, and otherwise is powerless. Going to your MP is of no use anymore, because of government centralization around the Prime Minister. The only ones exercising power are the PM and the Cabinet........ordinary MP's in their petitions get nowhere unless there is central support.

But we go at this problem differently. We would turn the world into a modern "collection of Villages". We would abolish "nations". Instead would be created "Local Political Units (LPU's")......for example some of these might be existing municipalities. The Marxist Party of Ontario proposes as a first step, downloading to the municipalities all Ontario provincial powers possible. The Provincial Government then becomes the handmaiden of the LPU's. Where an LPU cannot handle a task on its own, then it forms a coalition with like-minded LPU's and gives that coalition body "temporary" power to handle the task, and then the coalition body dissolves if possible.

This brings the representative within the knowledge and control of the electors, since the basic political unit is very small.

As to elections within the LPU's, there will be room to look at how new technology may be able to incorporate into democracy, ongoing issue referenda, decided upon by the new "direct democracy".

What do CT'ers think of this substantial re-thinking of human self-governance?

Democratic Marxist Global Institute (DMGI)
    Bob Armstrong, Coordinator

Erik Malmsten's Response to Bob

There are 100s of bills argued about every week of seating in the three levels levels of government. The supporting documentation for each bill is massive. Too many, and too complex to allow direct citizen voting who have their own jobs, families and hobbies to occupy their time.

Well, Bob, now you're switching from communism to eco-anarchism. Communism centralizes power in the capital, dictatorship of the party bureaucrats and military, resources get stolen by the capital and the regions suffer.

Local power, as advocated in the City of Toronto in the 1970s. Back then I was a member of the Ward Six Community Association who, for example, proposed (to reduce violence) that police officers had to live in the community they worked in (Yet, even today, because of political oversight, police officers prefer to be hired elsewhere). There was a strong voice for poor and working class voters at council and the quick-profit seeking developers could only get their way by appealing to the province's OMB. The province then tried to destroy this base of people's representation by creating the megacity Metro government, with wealthier suburban councillors out numbering the reps from the old city of Toronto. Then the province cut the number of councillors in half.

The feds get most of their tax income from the big cities. They balanced their budget by cutting payments to the provinces who in turn balanced their budgets by cutting payments to cities. The province downloaded expensive social programs to the municipalities, with few ways of increasing income, creating budget deficits.

There will always be a need for some provincial/ federal oversight such as regulation of highways, electricity, and international trade.

If we go to a collection of villages, to what extent will differences be allowed? Gay bars are OK in Toronto, but not Oakville? Blacks immigrants will be encouraged in Rexdale, but not in Forest Hill? No abortions allowed in London? Only Italian restaurants in Vaughan? Only Chinese street signs in Markham? No Maple Leaf fans in Montreal?

The problem of Human Self-Governance is fairly balancing the interest of different geographical regions, economic industries, and social groupings. Allow for peaceful dissenting voices to be heard and for compromises and changes to be made. People need to be able to vote out corrupt, unlistening dogmatic politicians at all levels. Too many municipal politicians are councillors for life.

Neil Frarey's Response to Erik

He chimed in to agree with the last paragraph of Erik's post.

Systems of Human Self-Governance

Different nations, at different times, have chosen different ways of governing themselves from among a very disparate group of models.

Thread Question

What are the pluses and minuses of the various types of human self-government, and which one do you think is the most superior for Canada in the future?

Bob & Pargat
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 22nd February, 2022, 07:53 PM.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

There are 100s of bills argued about every week of seating in the three levels levels of government. The supporting documentation for each bill is massive. Too many, and too complex to allow direct citizen voting who have their own jobs, families and hobbies to occupy their time.
    Hi Erik, you raise an interesting point: direct citizen voting on many bills would take up a lot of time for each citizen.

My response to that would be: wouldn't that be worth it to have a direct say in everything that interests you?

Here on ChessTalk, we each only post responses to those topics of interest to each of us. The rest we ignore. Canadian voters could do the same, ignore bills they do not care about, but have a direct vote in those they do care about.

I think it is worth it just to get RID of professional politicians. We all seem to hate them, but none of us do anything about the mess. I would even suggest we are collectively insane in this regard: we keep repeating our actions (voting every election and some even encouraging others to vote) expecting a different result.

EDIT: this insanity is only the case in today's modern connected world. The internet gives us the technology to have direct citizen voting. Before the internet, there really was no method to have direct voting.

I don't think that political science should be taught in universities or have any legitimacy at all. It is the ruination of the entire world.
    Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Wednesday, 23rd February, 2022, 03:59 AM.

Comment

My personal opinion is that representative democracy is best. Humans cannot agree on anything. Getting rid of political parties and voting for individuals is in my view what is needed. There are far too many decisions being made to pass them all down to the masses. From time to time a plebiscite may be useful, yes. But it seems to me that democracy would be better served if there were no party leaders telling all of their caucus members how to vote, and instead we allowed all elected individuals to vote as their specific constituents saw fit after reasonable consultation with them. It must be understood though that no system can be perfect, the problem is the people and not the system. The best we can hope for is the system that mitigates the problems with people better than any other. The essential problem will always remain. We are a bunch of blithering idiots.

Comment

No Political Parties

I believe that the aboriginal Canadian Territory of Nunavut in the north-west may have such a system as Brad is plumping for.

I believe they consider their government in accord with traditional ways, and all members elected at the territorial level are considered "independent" (Though some do publicly state that they are allied with one of the federal parties).

I also believe that they round-table and try desperately to pass motions unanimously.

Does anyone have more details on this? Am I right so far? If yes, should we be learning something from this concrete working system? Are there studies of this unique system of self-governance?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

There has been for a while the N.O.T.A. party of Canada (None of the Above) - at the federal and Ontario level

https://nota.ca

They publish an interesting book here: https://nota.ca/democracy-book/

"Democracy, Eh?"
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Hi Erik, you raise an interesting point: direct citizen voting on many bills would take up a lot of time for each citizen.

My response to that would be: wouldn't that be worth it to have a direct say in everything that interests you?

Here on ChessTalk, we each only post responses to those topics of interest to each of us. The rest we ignore. Canadian voters could do the same, ignore bills they do not care about, but have a direct vote in those they do care about.

I think it is worth it just to get RID of professional politicians. We all seem to hate them, but none of us do anything about the mess. I would even suggest we are collectively insane in this regard: we keep repeating our actions (voting every election and some even encouraging others to vote) expecting a different result.

EDIT: this insanity is only the case in today's modern connected world. The internet gives us the technology to have direct citizen voting. Before the internet, there really was no method to have direct voting.

I don't think that political science should be taught in universities or have any legitimacy at all. It is the ruination of the entire world.
            When we go to a restaurant, do we go into the kitchen to oversee the cooking? When we get our car fixed, do we hang around the mechanic and approve each tool used? Instead of micro-managing, we put our trust that people can do their jobs. Likewise, we have to put our trust in our politicians. We look at their background as a church leader, running a local business or community centre, or, by being a lawyer, understanding laws and regulations.. They can consult with their riding's residents. But then they're the party whip telling them to vote the party way or they will lose perks like committee membership..The strongman leaders run parliament from their office, not by consensus of their MPs. The civic servants, experts in their field, have to fight off clueless partisan politicians. And the leaders change their policies based on the feedback from telephone polls and how close they are to an election. Like this week the Ontario government, with a massive deficit, is giving up $1 billion in income by no longer requiring licence plate stickers.

Comment

... Like this week the Ontario government, with a massive deficit, is giving up $1 billion in income by no longer requiring licence plate stickers.
              Not a Ford supporter but have always felt that Doug had some common sense (maybe not always on display). This billion dollar giveaway was a big disappointment.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

When we go to a restaurant, do we go into the kitchen to oversee the cooking?
                Personally, I don't eat at restaurants for this very reason: I have no idea what ingredients or cooking procedures are being used. The fact that the vast majority of adults will go for the convenience of having some stranger prepare their food with unknown ingredients does not mean it is a good practice. Why do the world's developed nations lead the world in cardiac events? Fast food and restaurants is probably the culprit.

When we get our car fixed, do we hang around the mechanic and approve each tool used? Instead of micro-managing, we put our trust that people can do their jobs.
                For something simple like an oil change, obviously you trust the workers to know what they are doing and to give you the brand or type of oil your vehicle needs. For anything more than that, most chain garages (Midas, Goodyear, etc) will indeed bring to you photos they took of the part(s) they are replacing and get your approval before replacing them. This practice came about precisely BECAUSE too many mechanics were doing shoddy work, or were even damaging other parts of the vehicle in some sort of kickback scheme. The world is FULL of scammers, Erik, I hope you realize that. They are everywhere and in every profession.

Likewise, we have to put our trust in our politicians. We look at their background as a church leader, running a local business or community centre, or, by being a lawyer, understanding laws and regulations.. They can consult with their riding's residents. But then they're the party whip telling them to vote the party way or they will lose perks like committee membership..The strongman leaders run parliament from their office, not by consensus of their MPs. The civic servants, experts in their field, have to fight off clueless partisan politicians. And the leaders change their policies based on the feedback from telephone polls and how close they are to an election. Like this week the Ontario government, with a massive deficit, is giving up $1 billion in income by no longer requiring licence plate stickers.
                Putting trust in politicians is absolute BUNK. Even the most well-intentioned get corrupted, or as the Borg would say, "assimilated". New members of Congress in the U.S. do nothing but prepare and engage in fund-raising for the next election. And how do they spend this money? Finding dirt on their opponents, or making stuff up.

Ban politicians, ban political science (except to be taught as a history lesson).

Of course, I do realize this will not happen merely because it should happen. In that case, Brad's eloquent summary of the current situation will be followed to the end. But I for one know that end is coming. It is just that, somewhat like evolution itself, it takes time.... a LOT of time. The cancer spreads very slowly. Today, we recognize the tumours are there and how big they are getting, but we don't cut them out. We try and work around them.

Once the cancer spreads to every corner of society, it will wipe out everything we currently hold dear to our chest... like restaurants, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  There has been for a while the N.O.T.A. party of Canada (None of the Above) - at the federal and Ontario level

https://nota.ca

They publish an interesting book here: https://nota.ca/democracy-book/

"Democracy, Eh?"

Thank you, Kerry, I had no idea this organization existed! I will look more into it, I may even want to get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    My personal opinion is that representative democracy is best. Humans cannot agree on anything. Getting rid of political parties and voting for individuals is in my view what is needed. There are far too many decisions being made to pass them all down to the masses. From time to time a plebiscite may be useful, yes. But it seems to me that democracy would be better served if there were no party leaders telling all of their caucus members how to vote, and instead we allowed all elected individuals to vote as their specific constituents saw fit after reasonable consultation with them. It must be understood though that no system can be perfect, the problem is the people and not the system. The best we can hope for is the system that mitigates the problems with people better than any other. The essential problem will always remain. We are a bunch of blithering idiots.

Humans may seldom agree on anything, but they will vote for what they want or against what they don't want. And if they don't, they have no right to complain about what they didn't vote on.

Far too many decisions for the masses.... perhaps. Perhaps an individual registered voter could put a filter on what decisions get through to them to vote on. Everyone cares and doesn't care about different things. This is why some geographical area having a 'representative" is so ridiculous. That individual is not going to correctly represent the true wishes, the majority wishes, of his or her constituency.

As I wrote to Erik, I don't eat at restaurants because I don't know what they'll give me.... and i won't vote for a politician for the very same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Thank you, Kerry, I had no idea this organization existed! I will look more into it, I may even want to get involved.
                      They have some interesting ideas about changing electoral procedures and some novel ideas around the structure of Parliament (representation) that I find quite interesting.
                      I came across them several elections ago ...
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Democracy

How do we decide if a country complies with the definition of a "democracy"?

Russia comes to mind.

It has an elected President. It has a Duma (Parliament of elected representatives - Wikipedia: Since 1993 the State Duma (Russian: Государственная дума) has functioned as the lower legislative house of the Russian Federation.). The party with the majority forms the government (Or there is a governing coalition), and the leader becomes the Prime Minister. The upper legislative house of the Parliament is the Federation Council of Russia. There are elections at state and municipal levels.

Yet the West refers to it as an "Authoritarian" state, with Putin being effectively a dictator.

First.....have I got my facts right as to the "democratic structure" in Russia?

Secondly, why is Russia's claim to be a "democracy" not accepted?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 26th February, 2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Democracies do not invade Ukraine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            Democracies do not invade Ukraine.
                            Exactly right Brad.

Authoritarian regimes love to disguise themselves with sham elections etc.
                            But real elections must be free and fair, else it's just a lot of BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5q...el=PBSNewsHour

Democracies do not invade Democracies.

Canada must stand with Ukraine.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 26th February, 2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Democracy

How do we decide if a country complies with the definition of a "democracy"?

Russia comes to mind.

It has an elected President. It has a Duma (Parliament of elected representatives - Wikipedia: Since 1993 the State Duma (Russian: Государственная дума) has functioned as the lower legislative house of the Russian Federation.). The party with the majority forms the government (Or there is a governing coalition), and the leader becomes the Prime Minister. The upper legislative house of the Parliament is the Federation Council of Russia. There are elections at state and municipal levels.

Yet the West refers to it as an "Authoritarian" state, with Putin being effectively a dictator.

First.....have I got my facts right as to the "democratic structure" in Russia?

Secondly, why is Russia's claim to be a "democracy" not accepted?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                              Kasparov was on CBC this morning, but no questions about FIDE.

If Putin is a dictator, all alone, then why Canada's sanctions of 62 other Russian individuals? Apparently guilty is Sergey Lavrov, Minister of Foreign Affairs. Russia's 23 billionaires have lost $32 billion this year. Sanctions against Gazprom, Sberbank, VTB Bank, Belarusian banks and 24 Belarusian individuals and restrictions on Aeroflot. And these sanctions did not work after the Crimea invasion. Apparently, in the 2014 referendum 97% of Crimea voted to join Russia, so isn't that democratic? Anyways, Russia is going to be hurt by lost of sales of vodka to Canada.

The withdrawal from Swift has seemed to have an impact. Long lines at Russian atm machines. Who makes the decisions at Swift? A partnership of major central banks led by Belgium. Too bad there where no sanctions on American oligarchs after the invasion of Iraq.

The media has ignored most of Putin's points. Why, in the future, should NATO be allowed to set up missiles on Russia's doorstep (like Cuba to the US). The Ukrainian bombing of the civilians in the eastern provinces is a genocide. Where is the western call for Ukrainians to stop killing each other? The 2014 coup was based on not including the voting from the eastern regions. The Ukrainians have made national heroes of World War 11 fighters who wiped out the Jews in Ukraine. Many of the fascist Ukrainians escaped to Canada.

But Kyiv is not Crimea and the Russian military are reportingly facing resistance and loses of over 4,000 deaths. Strengthening the east is one thing, but rolling into Kyiv to set up another puppet government is another.

It would be nice for Putin to go. I don't know anything about Russian internal politics, how change is made. Should the 9 federal districts be disassembled? Does the elected Duma, state assembly, need more powers? Opposition leaders (and media reporters) get killed or imprisoned. Is there not a natural path for an experienced politician/administrators to come forward to be the new leaders?

https://www.britannica.com/place/Rus...nt-and-society

Comment

Working...
                              X