Tartakower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tartakower

https://en.chessbase.com/post/rememb...-february-1956 One of my favorite chess wits. Towards the bottom of the article are the unforgettable Tartakowerisms, but disappointingly all to few of them. However you must play over the Tartakower Immortal. Also unforgettable.

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/rememb...-february-1956 One of my favorite chess wits. Towards the bottom of the article are the unforgettable Tartakowerisms, but disappointingly all to few of them. However you must play over the Tartakower Immortal. Also unforgettable.
    Thanks Hans!!

Comment

Aris, you are not just a reader, you communicate. I appreciate that.

Comment

GM Savielly Tartakower (1887-1956) had one of the most interesting lives of any top player.
        World-class Grandmaster, successful professional lawyer, exceptional writer, openings innovator, clever wit, and secret agent during two World Wars!!!
        At the Barcelona 1929 tournament, he was asked by Catalonian regional governance officials to create a chess opening which could recognize Catalonia (northeastern part of Spain) as distinct from Spain; he came up with what we call today as the Catalan Opening, a Queen's Gambit with a kingside fianchetto. That was his 'Homage to Catalonia', as the British writer George Orwell pinpointed, in a different context. World Champions such as GM Garry Kasparov, GM Vladimir Kramnik and GM Magnus Carlsen should be paying Catalan usage royalties to his descendants!!
        He played in the first FIDE Interzonal, in 1948, but, alas, was well past his peak.
        He remained active in world chess virtually to the end of his life, competing for France, to which he had resettled from his native Poland, for personal security reasons! For example, two games against GM Paul Keres in the match France vs. USSR, Paris 1954, losing both to a player nearly 30 years younger.

Comment

Working...
        X