Farewell to Chesstalk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell to Chesstalk...

SInce Chesstalk has been getting more and more polluted with non-chess related posts, and the moderator has done nothing to correct the situation, I have decided to say goodbye to Chesstalk. My future posts will appear on the CFC chat site.

Maybe I'll check back in a few months.

Adieu!

Sorry to hear that Hugh as you are one of my favourite contributors. Personally, I do not even open the non-chess posts and find lots of useful information here.

Comment

Hi Hugh:

I believe chess players like to talk to each other about issues other than chess, as well as chess, and this is a good forum for this.

And I agree with Ian: "I find lots of useful information here [on chess threads]".

I would hope, Hugh, that you might follow Ian's example, if you do not wish to discuss here non-chess issues - don't open the threads.

I will be sorry to lose your chess input here.

~ Bob (T-S/P).

Comment

There is no point in responding to this topic because the author of the topic will not be reading them. He has decided that he will not read the chess threads due to the non-chess threads which he defines as pollution.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          There is no point in responding to this topic because the author of the topic will not be reading them. He has decided that he will not read the chess threads due to the non-chess threads which he defines as pollution.
          Imagine a chess club run by that guy!?

Anyone get caught talking about something other than chess, chess, chess and even more chess ... you'd really really get told off, ha!

You want more chess content?

Post more chess content!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            SInce Chesstalk has been getting more and more polluted with non-chess related posts, and the moderator has done nothing to correct the situation, I have decided to say goodbye to Chesstalk. My future posts will appear on the CFC chat site.

Maybe I'll check back in a few months.

Adieu!
            I fully understand this sentiment... good luck Hugh. There is very little content on the CFC board and even less chess content there.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              There is very little content on the CFC board and even less chess content there.
              Yes, the world is certainly almost completely "polluted" now. Very little fresh air remains anywhere. Lots of hot air though.

Comment

I'm completely in favour of Hugh Brodiie's choice.. I have know him since The 1990's and respect his opinion very much. If I did not like to laugh at all the BS I'd probably follow Hugh's exit.
                Non chess stuff should go to the garbage dump where it belongs. If Bob Armstrong and others want to post their non chess stuff then set up your own non chess website. Chess Talk is about Chess not a save the world site.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  I'm completely in favour of Hugh Brodiie's choice.. I have know him since The 1990's and respect his opinion very much. If I did not like to laugh at all the BS I'd probably follow Hugh's exit.
                  Non chess stuff should go to the garbage dump where it belongs. If Bob Armstrong and others want to post their non chess stuff then set up your own non chess website. Chess Talk is about Chess not a save the world site.

I believe this is a privately-owned web site. The owner of the site has tacitly agreed to host both chess and non-chess content. Although the name is ChessTalk, non-chess threads have been here for many years.

Hugh Brodie and John Brown do not own even a piece of this site and their opinions as to what this site is or should be are just that, opinions. Nothing more. For John Brown to tell Bob Armstrong what to post here is meaningless and just shows John Brown's ignorance of reality. I would say to John Brown, if YOU want a site with chess content only, YOU set up your own website!

The ostriches who want to hide their heads in the sand and ignore the world outside of chess are free to do so and are free to call non-chess topics "garbage" and "pollution". They are the ones who will have to think fast when the shit hits the fan around them. We feel pretty safe from the external world here in Canada, but nothing lasts forever. I think back to the wildfires in BC when homeowners ran fleeing from their homes and lamented "Why us? We didn't think this would happen here." The world is changing very, very quickly now.

Hugh Brodie and John Brown would be great candidates to play chess on the deck as the Titanic sinks. Who knows, maybe the last word out of one of their mouths as the seawater claims them will be "Checkmate!"

Comment

There's also the option of skinning this version of vBulletin with something like Metro ... or whatever. A theme which allows for much more flexibility like categories and such.

The Aussie chess website Chess Chat is a good example ... http://www.chesschat.org/ ... built on vB 4. something

That's what I would have done when I met Larry's asking price ... but then he received a higher offer.

Didn'tcha, eh!

Comment

Well there are A Holes in the world but the biggest a holes think that the world revolves around them. And I do have a website its called look for a holes staring with PP

Comment

Well there are A Holes in the world but the biggest a holes think that the world revolves around them. And I do have a website its called look for a holes staring with PP
                        Thanks ... John, ugh!

The graphic that pop into my head for your website, Look For A Holes, just broke my brain.

Comment

I guess you are calling YOURSELF an A Hole then because you think this web site, which you have no ownership of, revolves around YOU and your preferences.

Comment

Nope. This Chess talk site was To be for chess related talk. The guy who took it over actually started that way then I guess his friends decided to add non chess stuff.but Hey I don't normally read the non chess stuff as the world won't change no matter how hard we try to change it. If you want it to change then you gotta get rid of all the rich people so we all fend for ourselves and don't rely on the big business controlling the destruction of the earth.

Comment

Awesome! I had Nc6 in that variation of the Petrov in my database as a playable move. Wow1 two games in grand prix leg 2 round 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X