"King's Gambit" book, by Paul Hoffman, a terrific read!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "King's Gambit" book, by Paul Hoffman, a terrific read!!

The book, from 2007, published by Hyperion out of New York, is not actually a chess openings book, as its bare title would indicate. The full description includes the additional words: "A Son, A Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game".

The author, Paul Hoffman, was an American youth chess star, who got away from the game, as he matured and developed other interests. He has since built a significant career, as an author and editor, away from chess. I had read his earlier title "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers", a biography of the Indian mathematics wizard Ramanujan; it is also excellent.

This book details not only with Hoffman's youth chess career and relationship with his father from that era, but mostly focuses on his efforts to get back into chess. There are significant Canadian components, for example stories from GM Pascal Charbonneau! It has an enormous amount of original thinking about chess and its fascinating aspects, as well as episodes with many chess people.

ISBN 978-1-4013-0097-5.

Highly recommended!!

Second that.
    Shortly after the book was released, a friend recommended this book as one I would like. Not chess heavy, but plenty of chess-related and chess players' stories. Might explain why I am rubbish at playing the game. I cannot remember who I lent the book to, but it never came back, and I've considered buying another copy. One day... it's definitely worth reading a second time!
    Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      I had read his earlier title "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers", a biography of the Indian mathematics wizard Ramanujan; it is also excellent.
      When I read that book the subject was Paul Erdős

My thoughts when King's Gambit was originally published: https://chess.bc.ca/Bulletins/BCCFBulletin134.pdf

Comment

I used to read this book during math class, before it was taken away by the teacher...suffice it to say that the math class couldn't compete.

Comment

Stephen is correct; Mr. Hoffman's book does cover the Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdos (1913-1996). And I have read it! Thanks for pointing that out.
          I confused it with another book covering the Indian mathematician Ramanujan.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

When I read that book the subject was Paul Erdős

My thoughts when King's Gambit was originally published: https://chess.bc.ca/Bulletins/BCCFBulletin134.pdf
            Thanks for posting that issue of BCCF Bulletin (although I am sure I have it in my archives...)
            By following a link in there to the author's website I purchased the ebook version from amazon.ca ($3.99) - MUCH MUCH cheaper than the hardcover (!)

Note - I referred to the .ca version of Amazon - many links that are thrown about on the Net point to amazon.com (the U.S. site) and that can lead to poor results with respect to shipping etc. if one doesn't pay attention. (same can be said of other amazon flavours like .uk or .nl etc. but the difference between .com and .ca is unfortunate.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Our local library (the one I happen to work at - Waterloo Main) is full of good chess reads - this happens to be one of them.

Comment

Working...
              X