Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is it that...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    In another thread, Lynn has clarified her involvement (pretty close to zero). Of course, Kevin Spraggett's mindless drivel borders on slander.
    Karen's own blog (or whatever you want to call it) quite heavily points fingers at a "clique", etc.

(And some people seem to keep using the word "family" as if it referred to only two people in this case--it doesn't.)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
      Karen's own blog (or whatever you want to call it) quite heavily points fingers at a "clique", etc.

(And some people seem to keep using the word "family" as if it referred to only two people in this case--it doesn't.)

Steve
      According to her blog I am heavily involved... I have made it very clear to her that I have only met Peter a couple times in a couple local tournaments. Unfortunately, because I live within a couple hours drive and I play chess that I am part of a grand conspiracy. This 'clique' is a figment of her imagination. Because in another thread I praised the volunteer work of Lynn Stringer (she volunteers at almost every major tournament in BC) and called into question the idea of her being a home wrecker, I am part of her grand conspiracy of Chess players. I had only been introduced to Lynn Stringer this last Labour day open in Langley! (in which she was tirelessly working and I for one thank her for helping out and making that a very enjoyable tournament).

Contrary to GM Spraggetts constant suggestion there is no 'cult of Peter Stockhausen' in BC. I view GM Spraggetts posts about this subject as his way for getting back at some past perceived wrong between him and PS (of which I could care less what happened). GM Spraggetts blog is generally a very entertaining and educational blog and I visit it from time to time. His humor is irreverent and sometimes borders on tastelessness... but that being said I still tend to laugh at the jokes and pictures posted. His Chess analysis is fantastic as are his historical articles on various players. Just remember that he has an axe to grind with various people in the CFC and read his comments on the subject with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Duncan, to think that Lynn is extending the suffering of the Stockhausens is to accept Karen's and/or Kevin's information at face value. Are you sure you can do that?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I don't accept any of the information at face value. In fact, I still have some doubts about the idea that Peter S. is "ok". Something in the whole situation as presented makes zero sense, there are too many inconsistancies on both sides really.

However, Lynn did have to speak up, it's a first step towards closure that is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            IIn fact, I still have some doubts about the idea that Peter S. is "ok".
            In fact Lynn didn't say that Peter "is OK". She said that a mutual aquaintance assured her that he is OK, which is not the same thing. This is how rumours start.

Having known Lynn for more than 25 years I will say that her word on the matter is entirely sufficient for me. That is I believe that she indeed phoned a mutual acquaintance and that that person did assure her that Peter was OK, and that she felt reassured by that.
            Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Sunday, 27th September, 2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Well I finally made the illustrious list of the grand conspiracy on Kevins Spraggetts blog. I find it amusing how he doesn't allow any comments to be posted as a response to his posts... I wonder why???
              Last edited by Jason Lohner; Sunday, 27th September, 2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Certainly the mysterious source of the "ok" idea did essentially start a "rumour". And I have been asking for a clarification on this "rumour" all along.

Next step, there remains the ridiculous situation that this "mutual friend" or their sources somehow thinks they deserve to know more about Peter's situation then his own daughter. This is the communications age how can this go on for months. No matter what is occurring with the principals this is an unforgivable aspect. Unless the whole "rumour" is false, which is even worse because it gives false hope. Anybody with a shred of decency and direct knowledge in this case needs to facilitate closure, and this can be done privately.

Eventually things will resolve. Sooner is better then later.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Jason, I look forward to hearing about how you and your chess community have become proactive in helping the remaining family.
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Why is it the job of Jason and "his" chess community to help the "remaining family?" Where are Karen's family and friends? Where are the social services people? Where is her church? If in your mind it's Jason's job to look after Karen and Silken, then why isn't it your job, too? Define "chess community." If individuals within the so-called chess community wish to help in some fashion, then kudos to them. But for you to sit in Toronto trying to blame people who are total strangers to the Stockhausens, and who may live hundreds of kilometers away from them, is the height of arrogance. What the hell are you doing for them? Is there some reason why you can't EFT some money to Karen or mail her a cheque? Why don't you hop on the next plane and have a chat with the biker from next door who is allegedly terrorizing her and her daughter?

p.s. And what about El Magnifico, the Iberian Butthole? Is he somehow excluded from this just because he lives overseas? How much money has he sent to Karen and Silken?
                    Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 10:56 AM. Reason: Because I felt like it. Got a problem with that?
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                      Jason, I look forward to hearing about how you and your chess community have become proactive in helping the remaining family.
                      We could start with your donation to the cause since you feel so strongly about it... perhaps you could send your donation to the BCCF marked for the family. Of course if any other chess players family in Canada needs help we will call on your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        p.s. And what about El Magnifico, the Iberian Butthole? Is he somehow excluded from this just because he lives overseas? How much money has he sent to Karen and Silken?
                        E.M. and I.B. - ROTFLMAO.

Very good Peter; now I see why you and I went to the OCC party together!!
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'm sorry I was under the impression that the Stockhausen's were NOT total strangers to the BC chess community. Another mistaken impression I had was that an extensive chess collection had some value to the chess community. I was also misguided in thinking being the CFC president in the past ( twice ) had some value moving forward.

Thank you for clarifying this cold reality. Carry on with the excuses I mean justifications for the cold front.

ps Why should anyone attend a chess benefit of any type ?
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

As usual you provide no arguments to support your position. Why do you think that anyone in the B.C. chess community **OWES** a duty of help to Karen & Silken? If someone wants to assist them out of their own goodness and generosity then let them, and I respect them for it. But your position has been that chessplayers in B.C. OWE something to the Stockhausens. They don't.

Comment

Five Arguments and a Bad Rephrasing

The last post of Mr. Duncan Smith contains as much arguments as sentences : five. A quote exhibiting that Mr. Smith's position amounts to say that "the BC chess community OWES a duty of help" to such and such is still missing.
                              Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

They do, whether you understand it or not. I am very clear on why. Fact is, if Peter Stockhausen read this website regularily, he's probably feel justified in his actions. That's how badly the bias is on this site, and the "shoot the messenger" approach is disgusting but very very predictable.
                                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 29th September, 2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X