Old Kingston chess rivalry to be renewed in 2022!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Kingston chess rivalry to be renewed in 2022!!!

An old, friendly rivalry will be renewed for the first time in several years, when the Kingston Chess Club hosts the Queen's University Chess Club in a team match, this coming Monday night, April 4th, 2022, at KCC, starting at 7:30 pm.

This team match's origin dates from before World War II, more than 80 years ago. The two clubs are virtually tied in the series, with Kingston currently being ahead by two match wins.

The 2022 match will take place over ten boards, one game per board, colors alternating, with a time control of G/60' +30" increment.

I will endeavor to provide some games from the match, for this site, and for Hugh Brodie's database.

Incredible work Frank! Keeping alive the old traditions is very important.

Comment

I can report that the Kingston Chess Club defeated the Queen's University Chess Club by 6-4, in last night's team match, hosted by KCC!

Details and games to follow, in the days ahead. I am dealing with some problematic scoresheets right now.

It is fair to say that a grand time was enjoyed by all! We hope to do this again in the next academic year. Both teams missed key players for various reasons; Queen's U. CC was under-strength due to the proximity of end-of-term academic work (exams, essays, all that fun stuff!). Several Kingston CC players were unavailable as well. It would be great to get the next match with 15 to 20 boards; this is very possible!

There was quite a bit of rust showing in the games of almost everyone, on both teams; this is not surprising, due to almost no serious chess being available in Canada for the past two years.

The outcome went right down to the last game to finish, on board six, when the Kingston CC player CC Ben Beardall, down two exchanges in the middlegame, for minimal compensation, somehow turned the tables to win!

Probably the highest-quality game of the evening was on board two, where Dennis Tran of QUCC, with the Black pieces, facing the experienced Expert Jake Van Rooy of KCC, while conceding a rating gap of over 200 points, won with deep strategy in an offbeat Scandinavian Defense line, using a precisely calculated sequence to triumph in the endgame.

On board one, NM Christopher Pace for KCC had an unexpectedly easy win as Black over the top board for QUCC, Egyptian PhD student Bassel Hakim (FIDE 2030). The two players had battled to a virtual standstill in a handful of G/15' encounters during the past few weeks.

I acted as TD for the match, while organizer duties were shared by Jake Van Rooy and Bassel Hakim. Thanks so much to everyone who took part!

Cheers,
      Frank Dixon
      NTD, Kingston

Comment

From this match:
        Frank Dixon (CFC 1864) -- Ian McCormick (UNR)
        Kingston Chess Club vs. Queen's University Chess Club, Kingston, ON
        April 4, 2022, board 4 of ten, G/60' +30"
        TD: Frank Dixon; Organizers: Jake VanRooy and Bessel Hakim
        Caro-Kann Defense, Advance, Short System, B12
        Brief notes by Frank Dixon

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.Nf3 e6 5.Be2 c5 6.c3 Nc6 7.Be3 Qb6 8.O-O cxd4 9.Nxd4 Nxd4 10.Bxd4 Qc6 11.Nd2 Bc5 12.Nb3 Bb6 13.a4 a6 14.a5 Bc7 15.Nc5 Ne7 16.b4 O-O 17.Qb3 Bb8 18.b5 axb5 19.Bxb5 Qc8 20.Nd7 Rd8 21.Nb6 Qc7 22.Nxa8 Qc8 23.Nb6, 1-0.
        My first clock game in over two years! Playing an opponent with no CFC rating, but who said he "plays a lot online"! Who knows what to expect!? White's 8th move in this Advance Caro-Kann line, 8.O-O!?, may be new, offering the first of a suite of gambits of the b-pawn over the next few moves. I had looked at it in some detail a few years ago, but this was my first time trying it in an actual game. I thought I would get good play for the pawn; for example 8...Qxb2 9.Nd2 Qxc3 10.Rc1 Qa5 11.dxc5. Another wild line, after White's ninth, is 9...Nxe5 10.Nxf5 Qxb2 11.Nxg7+ Bxg7 12.Nd2, where I preferred my position. Black declines all of these offers, but by move ten had used 25 minutes to 3 for White. With a development lead and Black's Q-side minors either exchanged or away from the Q-side (B on f5), I decided on a rapid Q-side expansion, akin to a minority attack in many Queen's Gambit Declined positions, only White actually has a Q-side majority here. By move 17, Black was down to ten minutes to complete the game, while I had used only seven minutes of my original hour. I think Black's last chance was to give up some material on the Q-side, and try 17...f6!? 18.b5 Qe8 19.exf6 gxf6!?, planning to transfer his Q to g6, and then aim for a counterattack against White's vulnerable King. But White's Q-side play looks dangerous here as well; in the game it won quickly, exploiting Black's cramp and the Q-side holes, as White's knight had a great career!

Comment

Working...
        X