Predictions for Zonal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my somewhat limited dealings with Nikolay, he is a very principled person......and it comes through in his approach to chess.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Not an easy event for predictions. Nobody named 2 winners in top-3.

Everyone predicted 7 points for the winner - great. Also, almost everyone predicted correctly the winner and the runner-up for Women Zonal.

Comment

My conclusion: nobody deserved the title of Oracle from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
          My conclusion: nobody deserved the title of Oracle from Canada.
          too funny Victor!!

Comment

Nobody could have predicted this (unless they were personal friend or family). Basically you have two wild cards. One wild card I can understand, but two??

Comment

Hans, Shawn won the tournament of Chambly with 5/5 (april 1-3) and he did 4/5 to ''Choc des générations'' (april 8-10) just before the Zonal, losing only to Bator. It's why i put him on 4th place in my prediction. I saw Shawn in the line for breakfast before round 4th and he thanks me because i put his name in my prediction. Funnily, Maili-Jade Ouellet came to my table during the breakfast few minutes later tell me that Shawn want to make me lie because he want to finish in top 3. I'm very happy that he made me lie!!

It's not a complete surprise, i wrote that he was on fire. After round 3, when i made my prediction, he had 12 wins in his last 13 games since april 1st!!
              Last edited by Réjean Tremblay; Monday, 18th April, 2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Absolutely agree with you. For the obvious reason, I did not want to place my prediction publicly, but I told them to some friends. Shawn was on my top-3... but not as a winner or runner-up.

Comment

Thanks Rejean for that inside information. Shawn is playing amazing chess and I wish him all the best in the future and I hope he wins the Canadian championship in the future.

Comment

At the finish, both IM Raja and GM Bator were in the top five at 6/9, and these players figured in some posted predictions. But absolutely no one who posted had FM Zuanchen Zhang on their lists! He wound up champion on tiebreak. And no one picked up on Zach Dukic being a contender!
                    It's interesting to note that IM Nikolay Noritsyn had been inactive in Canada for quite some time before the Zonal.

Comment

Working...
                    X