X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Pacific Open final standings

Final standings for the Grand Pacific Open are up at:
    www.grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/Standings2022

Congratulations for Amirsalar Javidfard for his first place finish (on tie break), tied with Neil Doknjas and FM John Doknjas

An event report will be posted soon with photos and pgn file.

184 players - a new record turnout!
    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 19th April, 2022, 10:13 PM.

Hi Roger,
    That's an impressive showing.
    To what do you attribute the high level of participation, and do you have a sense of how many players travelled in? From Alberta, far parts of BC, Seattle / cross the border, versus how many are in the Vancouver / Victoria area?
    Alex F.

Comment

I couldn't open the link, but found it here
      http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/.../Standings2022
      Congratulations to the winners (and the organisers)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        I couldn't open the link, but found it here
        http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/.../Standings2022
        Congratulations to the winners (and the organisers)
        oops. extra space in my version. Now corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
          Hi Roger,
          That's an impressive showing.
          To what do you attribute the high level of participation, and do you have a sense of how many players travelled in? From Alberta, far parts of BC, Seattle / cross the border, versus how many are in the Vancouver / Victoria area?
          Alex F.
          well, players from AB, SK, ONT, QC, and Washington. so 15-20 people? Plus all those who travelled within BC. There's only about 25 or so local players.

But as for reasons: all our events since the shutdown have shown record turnouts. My guess is:
          1) people are tired of shutdown and are just ready to play.
          2) There is a Queen's Gambit effect. Several people have told me how it has kicked started their interest in tournament chess.

However, all that interest is mostly in the lower ratings The stronger players still seem reticent.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

well, players from AB, SK, ONT, QC, and Washington. so 15-20 people? Plus all those who travelled within BC. There's only about 25 or so local players.

But as for reasons: all our events since the shutdown have shown record turnouts. My guess is:
            1) people are tired of shutdown and are just ready to play.
            2) There is a Queen's Gambit effect. Several people have told me how it has kicked started their interest in tournament chess.

However, all that interest is mostly in the lower ratings The stronger players still seem reticent.
            I should add, the home city of players is shown on the pre-registered list.
            http://www.victoriachess.com/registr...p?file=gpo2022

Comment

An event report is now available. Short report, photos. (some players might be misidentified).

www.grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/EventReport2022

Comment

pgn game file added plus minor changes to the report.

Some games missing due to some computer problems but may eventually resurface.

Comment

Congratulations to the organizers and participants in this wonderful event! Chess is making its way back! The turnout is truly impressive!!

Comment

Working...
                  X