Russian grandmasters leaving Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian grandmasters leaving Russia

https://en.chessbase.com/post/top-gr...s-leave-russia Some of the grandmasters who have chosen to relocate across the world.

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/top-gr...s-leave-russia Some of the grandmasters who have chosen to relocate across the world.
    Some interesting things to think about here given Russia's despicable and genocidal behaviour in Ukraine. For example, could a solid argument be made that (most of) the NATO members are at war, de facto, with Russia in two ways: a hot war with Ukraine acting unwillingly/unhappily as NATO's proxy, and a lower-risk economic war? Should Russian nationals be allowed to live and earn their livings in jurisdictions which are de facto at war with Russia? Should Russian nationals who are in NATO- member states on other than diplomatic visas and approved paths to citizenship (e.g. work visas, student visas, etc.) be allowed to stay or should they be sent home? My opinion? - send Russian nationals packing! And make Russia's economic life as difficult as it possibly can be made. That menacing-looking light off in the distance isn't Russia. It's China rolling down the tracks, ready to run us down if the so-called free world can't demonstrate it's resolve against Russia.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

We may see Canada and the USA bring legislation to ban Russian hockey players from North American pro leagues, once this NHL season is completed.

I see where the All-England Tennis Club, which runs the annual Wimbledon Championships, has just excluded all Russian and Belarussian players for this year's event. Other tennis events have NOT done so, notably the upcoming French Open, a Grand Slam event.

And I think that this year's Canadian Open, set for Hamilton in July (first since 2019) should exclude Russian and Belarussian players.

Comment

I'm all for banning the Russian national teams from International competitions, but banning individual athletes is a step too far. Unless it is for concrete actions in support of the war, like Karyakin.

Comment

Working...
        X