Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracles are beginning to take place.

Comment

The games from En Passant #116 show the modest side of Nick. He claims to play the first game like Capablanca, the second one more reminiscent of Alekhine, and the third game almost identical to what Capablanca would have played move for move. When performing in the manner of Alekhine, Nickoloff writes after 6...Bb7, "This system is called the Arkhangelsk system. However, I feel that it should be called the "Nick" system because I understand it better than anyone else in the world." As it turned out, Alexei Shirov did not disagree. Nor did Informant. Nor Spassky...

Nick put his money where his mouth was.
      Last edited by Brad Thomson; Sunday, 12th June, 2022, 11:53 AM.

Comment

The game from 1975 is another example of the Nick Variation. The notation is descriptive. Nick only makes a few remarks. It is interesting how often this opening appears in Nickoloff games.

Comment

David Gilmour - Coming Back To Life (Live At Pompeii)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            'Michael Schleifer once told me that Nick played like Fischer.' Yes, in that Nick played very sharp and always looked for the best move and always tried to win, whether white or black.
            Ron Livshits is quoted in Nick' Best, "I think that in many respects his [Nick's] style resembled that of Capablanca, Smyslov and Fischer."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220614_163614.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	219989Click image for larger version

Name:	20220614_163600.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	219988 Grandmaster's Forum was republished in Chess Canada, April 2004 Volume 32 Issue 2. I was editor at the time.
              Attached Files

Comment

I would like to mention Nick's domination of the 1978 Canadian Championship. I think he had a score of 7 and a half out of 9. I visited as often as I could and I had never seen anything like it. I remember analyzing with George Kuprejanov incredible tactics from Nick's games. All of a sudden Nick collapsed and score 1.5 out of the final 6. I was trying to find my book of the 1978 Canadian Championship but no luck so far. Does anyone have that book or at least some of the games? There were some incredible games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  I would like to mention Nick's domination of the 1978 Canadian Championship. I think he had a score of 7 and a half out of 9. I visited as often as I could and I had never seen anything like it. I remember analyzing with George Kuprejanov incredible tactics from Nick's games. All of a sudden Nick collapsed and score 1.5 out of the final 6. I was trying to find my book of the 1978 Canadian Championship but no luck so far. Does anyone have that book or at least some of the games? There were some incredible games.
                  Chessgames.com has 17 or 18 of his games from 1978. Maybe some of those are zonal games.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Chess Tempo has 13 games (out of 15) from his participation at the CAN-Ch 1978:

https://old.chesstempo.com/gamedb/player/243627

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Chessgames.com has 17 or 18 of his games from 1978. Maybe some of those are zonal games.
                      Thanks Peter. Chessgames has very few of the good ones. I did find this one: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1296579

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post

Chess Tempo has 13 games (out of 15) from his participation at the CAN-Ch 1978:

https://old.chesstempo.com/gamedb/player/243627
                        Thanks Emil. I will definitely have a look.

Comment

Thanks Emil. I will definitely have a look.
                          Just found all the games from the 1978 Canadian Zonal here:

https://www.365chess.com/tournaments..._zt_1978/24524

Three of these games are analyzed in IM Day's book "Nick's Best"

Comment

Wow. this game against Lipnowski is really something https://www.365chess.com/tournaments...zt_1978/24524#. 18.Bh3, then Rc2-f2, then 27.Qh3 just allowing the pin on his rook. Only a genius could play like this.

Comment

Yes, the rook as bait to take away the dark squared bishop but the move that strikes the most is Rg1 later! I agree,only a genius could play like this.

Comment

Yes, this is a fantastic Nick game. He is in a different league.

Comment

Working...
                                X