Libertarian, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libertarian, or not?

The US Supreme Court may reverse one of its boldest Libertarian decisions in history... and Biden revealed his Libertarian leanings when he said: The state does not give me my fundamental rights; I have them because I am a child of God, because I exist...
    What do Chesstalkers think?
    (My take on it: Justice Alito's draft does not distinguish between life and potential life...)

Boy, Dilip - this is going to open a can of worms!! I think some chess players are going to want to talk to each other about this.....thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
      The US Supreme Court may reverse one of its boldest Libertarian decisions in history... and Biden revealed his Libertarian leanings when he said: The state does not give me my fundamental rights; I have them because I am a child of God, because I exist...
      What do Chesstalkers think?
      (My take on it: Justice Alito's draft does not distinguish between life and potential life...)
      Sorry, to which decision do you refer? And, why do you suggest such a decision as being 'Libertarian'?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Sorry, to which decision do you refer? And, why do you suggest such a decision as being 'Libertarian'?
        Hi Neil,
        Roe vs. Wade. Its essence was that government has no business to decide one way or the other what outcome a woman desires for her pregnancy, the assumption being that it harms no one else unfairly, whatever she decides.
        Whether that assumption is correct has been the contentious issue since the decision...

Comment

Oh ya, that one. Thanks. That would be the 14th Amendment(?)

It's a pity that illustrations of severed human fetus body parts aren't plastered everywhere all over public schools. Along with CRT, et al. Especially those human body parts maturing in the last three months or so. You know, graphically drive home the point to our primary grade schoolers. Torn open skull ... perhaps a severed leg with its cute little tiny toes ... human touchy stuff like that.

I can find the images if you need them.

Seriously ... this isn't about a woman's right to privacy. This is about stopping a beating heart ... shredding human fetuses with develop body parts.

Good stuff ... I'd love to publish that grade school graphic text book!

Titled ... Name That Body Part.

Keep it as raw as possible ... just like left over dinner.

Comment

Hi Neil,
            Roe vs. Wade. Its essence was that government has no business to decide one way or the other what outcome a woman desires for her pregnancy, the assumption being that it harms no one else unfairly, whatever she decides.
            Whether that assumption is correct has been the contentious issue since the decision...

I'm already on record as being against Libertarianism on any matter having to do with economics ... because it encourages such things as the rape of planet Earth and the creating of toxic pollutants and the use of slave labor in pursuit of economic gain.

But there are some matters which I can side with Libertarian thinking, which is to say, lack of government interference. This is one of them.

The GOP in the United States prides itself on small-government thinking, but on any issue having to do with evangelical Christian matters, it is in favor of huge government intervention. So no surprise then that in the abortion question, it decides to push extra hard for total restriction. There is even the possibility that this stems from GOP misogynist hatred of giving women any freedoms at all.

What's interesting is that the latest crop of SCOTUS conservative judges, when being confirmed to the court, all agreed that Roe vs. Wade is established precedent. Now they are all willing and ready to destroy it. They lied to America, and this alone should cause their immediate dismissal from the court. Of course, that cannot happen -- once confirmed, you are there for life. Stupid Americans!

Now on the issue of the fetus being "alive" or not, we can never know. No one living has memories of being a fetus. So were we actually conscious, were we human, at that time? Certainly the cells that make up the fetus are alive, but is the fetus as a whole a separate living organism containing a human soul? There is no possible answering this question, there is only opinion.

I think for evangelical Christians and Catholics, who believe that we are each granted one life on Earth and one life ONLY, the spark of live begins as conception. In other words, when the sperm meets the egg, a new human life begins. I would ask then: in the case where the fetus is aborted, what is the Christian God going to do with that soul? Most likely the soul would be granted total access to Heaven, without judgment. Doesn't that seem right and just? Isn't God about justice?

To me, this is a good thing: access to Heaven WITHOUT having to actually live on Earth and make a free-will decision on whether Jesus was truly the Son of God, WITHOUT having to repent of sin. Therefore, such Christians should be happy for such a fetus -- it gets to go to Heaven! It will be another soul in Heaven!

But no, the Christians would instead have the fetus be born and possibly reject Jesus and be sentenced to eternal Hell! That's ETERNAL Hell in case you missed it. That means FOREVER.

This is just one of many reasons I personally cannot accept the Christian religion and the idea of needing to be born again in order to get to the realm of Heaven, all based on one life in which you might be born as the bastard son or daughter of a crack addict, be addicted to crack yourself, be raised in a crime-infested environment in which you are enslaved or raped, be turned into a prostitute against your will.... OR you could be born as the son or daughter of a billionaire and have any little thing you want and get $1 million from mom and dad when you are ready to leave the nest... OR you could be born the son or daughter of an evangelical pastor and get nothing but love and Christian teaching as you grow up. It's a spin of the roulette wheel as to exactly what fetus your soul ends up in.

I reject that teaching and believe instead in reincarnation and the gradual evolution of the soul, in the goal of getting ever and ever closer to God, who is totally loving and non-judgmental. Therefore I believe that a fetus can be aborted without any real damage having been done. Yes, the cells of the fetus will die.... the fetus itself will die.... but the soul of that fetus will simply return from whence it came, and will have accomplished it's mission of helping the soul of each parent in their path towards perfection.

Therefore I believe in no government interference in what a woman decides to do with her pregnancy. And regarding Libertarianism, I consider it a credit to them that they do not let religion cloud their view in this matter, unlike the hypocritical Republicans.

Comment

Women do not have an absolute right to an abortion, access is contingent upon them finding someone qualified and willing to perform it. We do not know whether or not life begins at conception, but would should err on the side of caution and assume that it does just in case it does. Yes, anyone can do what they want to with their own bodies, but is not a fetus the body of someone else? Abortions are not medical, unless the life of the mother is in danger- abortions are surgical, yes, but medical implies making well that which is sick and therefore no medical attention is required or even possible when there is a healthy pregnancy.

I would never agree to an abortion myself if ever I were involved in a pregnancy (an academic question at this point). I have never had relations with a woman without first addressing this question. Any woman who said that if an accidental pregnancy did happen she would abort I refused to involve myself with. Society is too flippant about abortions, they are sad, tragic events and we should do all that we can to avoid them taking place.

In the final analysis I am pro-choice. I do not feel that I have the right to impose my values upon anyone else when it comes to this question. But my own personal choice is/would be life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                No one living has memories of being a fetus.
                I remember being born, if we are a fetus until the umbilical cord is cut then I have living memories of being a fetus. Salvador Dali claimed to remember being in the womb before being born. I do not dismiss this possibility, though I have no such memories that I am aware of myself.

Any decision about when abortions are to be legal or not- six weeks, first trimester, until severing of umbilical, whatever- are all going to be arbitrary. We should simply accept this fact.

Comment

I'm already on record as being against Libertarianism on any matter having to do with economics ... because it encourages such things as the rape of planet Earth and the creating of toxic pollutants and the use of slave labor in pursuit of economic gain.

Libertarianism does not condone harming others, and damaging the planet or forcing someone into slavery is harming others... A Libertarian society would never let such things happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

In the final analysis I am pro-choice. I do not feel that I have the right to impose my values upon anyone else.
                    True Libertarian!

Comment

...... Roe vs. Wade ...... Now they are all willing and ready to destroy it.
                      How do you know that? All I've seen so far is a leaked DRAFT opinion prepared by one Justice. The Court may very well overturn the Roe v Wade precedent, when it issues its final opinion. Maybe not.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

True Libertarian!
                        Will wonders never cease?

But the point is where to (democratically) draw the line. I am willing, even determined to impose my values upon others when it comes to bank robbery, for example. We must protect the collective from the individual. But we must do so while granting all reasonable/rational freedoms to the individual, restricting only those possible freedoms that jeopardize the collective. This can be a tough call, and people will often disagree, so sometimes we need to have votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Will wonders never cease?

But the point is where to (democratically) draw the line. I am willing, even determined to impose my values upon others when it comes to bank robbery, for example. We must protect the collective from the individual. But we must do so while granting all reasonable/rational freedoms to the individual, restricting only those possible freedoms that jeopardize the collective. This can be a tough call, and people will often disagree, so sometimes we need to have votes.
                          The principle of disallowing or ensuring appropriate compensation for unfair harm could work reasonably well.
                          I specify 'unfair', because if someone beats you at a chess game in a tournament depriving you of prize money, you would be harmed, but ir would be fair and square...
                          Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Sunday, 8th May, 2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

No one is going to beat me when I return to OTB chess!!

So....no harm!!

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

P.S. Being 77 y.o. is not going to matter [ :) ]

Comment

Libertarianism does not condone harming others, and damaging the planet or forcing someone into slavery is harming others... A Libertarian society would never let such things happen...
                              You keep saying this, but whenever you are asked exactly HOW a Libertarian government would "never let such things happen", you are silent.

Could it be because "never let such things happen" means having REGULATIONS?

That's the core thing Libertarians are AGAINST.

But you have to have them... or else you will have people in Flint Michigan and every other major city drinking lead-tainted water, you will have the BP Gulf oil leak, you will have train derailments leaking toxic fumes into residential neighborhoods, and so many MORE other catastrophes caused by insufficient regulations.

Libertarianism is a recipe for disaster.... economically. We are all waiting to have you explain how Libertarianism will "never let such things happen".

Comment

Working...
                              X