2022 Canadian Chess Hall of Fame Member - Branimir Brebrich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Canadian Chess Hall of Fame Member - Branimir Brebrich

Branimir Brebrich was a trailblazer for chess in Alberta in the 1970's. Here are a list of achievements.

1st Alberta Champion 1974
    1st Alberta Chess Master 1973
    Winner of many Calgary City and Club Championships in the 70's and 80's.
    Achieved Master level CFC performance in 2019, after 20 year absence from tournament play, at age 85
    Broke Canadian Record for Simultaneous play with 188 wins, 8 losses and 18 draws (92%) - unbroken -- replacements allowed
    Broke North American Record for Simultaneous play with 80% score against tournament players 1977
    Broke World Record for Simultaneous play with 533 wins, 15 losses and 27 draws (92%), Jan 27 & 28, 1978 -- presumably replacements allowed
    1st President of Alberta Chess Association 1973-75
    Organizer scholastic tournaments and gave instruction in Calgary during the 1970's, founder of The Alberta Youth Chess Association (TAYCA) 1975
    Chess Instructor in numerous venues in Richmond, BC (2000-2019)
    Tournament Director for 1st Canadian High School Championship 1975
    Calgary Herald Columnist 1978

He will be presented with a plaque, representing his induction into the Hall of Fame in the latter part of June at a meeting of the Calgary Chess Club. Further details will come later.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; Friday, 27th May, 2022, 02:24 PM.

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
    founder of the Alberta Youth Chess Association 1975
    the "T" in "The Alberta Youth Chess Association" was capitalized, was known as TAYCA.

Branimir had a huge influence on my early chess days. Somewhere there is a photo of me on board 1 of a simul against him - my very first chess event. The photo made it into the paper. I no longer have a copy although I understand Branimir does.

Comment

Excellent selection! Branimir has a unique set of accomplishments and contributions in Canadian chess. Congratulations!!!

Comment

Working...
      X