Kingston Chess Club member Ted Hsu wins election to Ontario legislature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston Chess Club member Ted Hsu wins election to Ontario legislature!

Kingston Chess Club member Dr. Ted Hsu, the Liberal Party candidate, has won the 2022 provincial election in the riding of Kingston and the Islands, on June 2.

Ted won by a margin of 3,170 votes. He had been the Liberal federal MP for the riding from 2011 to 2015, when he decided not to run for re-election.

The riding had been held provincially by the NDP's Ian Arthur from 2018-2022; he decided not to run for re-election this time.

Here are the 2022 results for K+I:
    Ted Hsu (Liberal) 18,354, 37.66 %
    Mary Rita Holland (NDP) 15,184, 31.15 %
    Gary Bennett (PC) 11,971, 24,56 %
    Zachary Typhair (Green) 1,600, 3.28 %
    5 fringe candidates totaled 1,629 votes, for 3.35 %.

Ted was among the best junior chess players in Canada in the late 1970s, and also an organizer at the local level then. I first played him in a 5-minute game at KCC in 1980, drawing. Ted's competitive play has been intermittent since then, taking off two decades from tournament play, as he advanced his education (B.Sc. Hons., Queen's University 1984, followed by a PhD in Physics at Princeton University), found success with a variety of careers, and started a family.

But he re-emerged with chess in recent years, defeating NM Christopher Pace in a KCC tournament a couple of years ago. He also helped organize at KCC. Ted has played several Ontario events in the last few years, and even found time to fill in for a game at the 2022 Kingston Easter Congress, winning.

Congratulations, Ted, on your election victory, and all the best for your new future as a provincial legislator!! You will be very busy, but please remember to find some time for chess!!

Yes very interesting! Second time winning election! Ted Hsu must be very popular in the Kingston area. Congratulations Ted!

Comment

And Ted has been extraordinarily encouraging of Kingston Easter Chess, even when he can't attend.

I don't know him super-well yet, but he immediately comes across as a very classy and nice person.

Comment

Working...
      X