X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Liles
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    It is difficult to speculate upon what is going on in our own heads, let alone in some else's, but it seems to me that Magnus is bored and may need new challenges in life that are not chess related. If he chooses to resign as world champion the match between Nepo and Ding will be something to look forward to. No one is bigger than chess itself and we do not need Magnus one way or another.
    On the other hand, Magnus has been a tremendous ambassador for the game and if he decides another match with Nepo would be boring and pointless (I absolutely agree!) then that is his decision alone. A match between Nepo and Ding would be similarly uninteresting...

if Carlsen decides to skip the match perhaps FIDE can drop his title (fair enough) and then start over like in 1948 with a double or round robin of top players... I don't think a quintuple round robin would be necessary - better fewer head to head and more players?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Gougeon
    replied
    Carlsen was given an "informal deadline" of July 20, International Chess Day, to make a decision about his title defense.

According to:www.chess.com, July 7, Article FIDE: 'Carlsen Never Demanded A Concrete Format'

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    It is difficult to speculate upon what is going on in our own heads, let alone in some else's, but it seems to me that Magnus is bored and may need new challenges in life that are not chess related. If he chooses to resign as world champion the match between Nepo and Ding will be something to look forward to. No one is bigger than chess itself and we do not need Magnus one way or another.
    Perhaps Magnus is going to make a surprising appearance at the Canadian Open to contest for.... THE WORLD HOSTAGE CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

What an amazing thing that would be ... the World Chess Champion deciding to forego his title and try to get Hostage Chess going big time!

Sorry Hal Bond if you get hundreds of requests for entry into the Hostage Chess even, expecting Magnus to be there! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Brad Thomson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Or is the champ just bored with the whole business?
    imho, that is the case. I don't think he has ambitions to break the Lasker's record. He already beat Nepo badly. or Maybe he is just like Fischer who hated to loose at the chess board, thus forfeiting is not a big deal then :)

Leave a comment:

• Peter McKillop
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Peter Doggers said that Carlsen was going to announce his intention 5 min. before the 2022 Candidates' Tournament last round on Monday.

Seems that that didn't happen.......

Bob A
    What exactly is the champ's issue? Does he loathe Nepo personally? Is it because of Nepo's nationality; i.e. playing a Russian in present circumstances is not correct (would make a mockery of gens una sumus)? Or is the champ just bored with the whole business?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Armstrong
    replied
    Peter Doggers said that Carlsen was going to announce his intention 5 min. before the 2022 Candidates' Tournament last round on Monday.

Seems that that didn't happen.......

Bob A

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied
    Carlsen has been dithering about whether he will defend his title against Nepo. Does anyone know when Carlsen has to make a decision by?

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    Lots of fighting games in the last round. Ding trapped Nakamura's bishop to win second place. Even Duda - Nepo was played out to the end.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Thomson
    replied
    Overall a great tournament to watch, lots of decisive games. If Magnus ducks it will be great to see Ding play Nepo.

Leave a comment:

• Emil Smilovici
    replied
    Congrats to Ding for finishing clear second!

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-candidates-2022-r13 Report on round 13.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Thomson
    replied
    Yes, other than Nepo, Naka is the most impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    I am most impressed by Nakamura. Why? He is so busy streaming and yet he played the candidates on a high level - enough for second place and very competitive the whole tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    Yes that is a fitting final round for second place. Nakamura vs Ding and hopefully someone wins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X